GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Shredding (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/184302-shredding.html)

Al[_4_] 31-05-2009 08:04 PM

Shredding

Shredding: Worth it?

We tend to end up with a lot of woody waste that's too thick to compost and
too thin to use as wood/stakes. We've now got a small mountain of the stuff
next to the compost heaps, and it's not getting any smaller.

If we shred the stuff (up to 1" in diameter), what can we do with it? We
don't need it as a mulch to suppress weeds as we've covered every flower
bed with plants now. In fact, it would be difficult to apply it.

Can we add it to the compost heaps? Maybe use it on the top of patio pots
to discourage slugs? I'm loath to burn it or just throw it away.

The waste is mostly Ash saplings, Sycamore saplings, and branches from
mature shrubs and fruit trees.

Al.

[email protected] 31-05-2009 08:25 PM

Shredding

In article ,
Al wrote:

Can we add it to the compost heaps? Maybe use it on the top of patio pots
to discourage slugs? I'm loath to burn it or just throw it away.

Compost it, but you need a traditional 'cool' heap, because it's
fungi that break it down.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

OG 31-05-2009 08:48 PM

Shredding

"Al" wrote in message
. 4...
Shredding: Worth it?

We tend to end up with a lot of woody waste that's too thick to compost
and
too thin to use as wood/stakes. We've now got a small mountain of the
stuff
next to the compost heaps, and it's not getting any smaller.

If we shred the stuff (up to 1" in diameter), what can we do with it? We
don't need it as a mulch to suppress weeds as we've covered every flower
bed with plants now. In fact, it would be difficult to apply it.

Can we add it to the compost heaps? Maybe use it on the top of patio pots
to discourage slugs? I'm loath to burn it or just throw it away.

The waste is mostly Ash saplings, Sycamore saplings, and branches from
mature shrubs and fruit trees.

We shred quite a lot and use it as mulch and slug'n'snail deterrent on pots
and our raised beds.

On the whole, anything left over gets left in a pile in a dark corner of the
garden or it goes in the 'garden waste' wheelybin along with most of our
grass clippings.

We got an ELKO H1100 shredder second hand off ebay which does what we need
(shredding anything between goes in compost and goes in chiminea sizes)