GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   north east facing garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/184330-north-east-facing-garden.html)

tanya1 01-06-2009 04:10 PM

north east facing garden

Hi we are moving house and have found one we really like however it has a north east facing garden. Which i was very disapointed to find out. Can anyone tell me will it be shady most of the time? we have visited it a 3pm and it was quite sunny. The garden was beautiful but i don't want a garden that will only get a little bit of sun. I don't want to make a big mistake any advice much appreciated.

K 01-06-2009 09:53 PM

north east facing garden

tanya1 writes

Hi we are moving house and have found one we really like however it has
a north east facing garden. Which i was very disapointed to find out.
Can anyone tell me will it be shady most of the time? we have visited
it a 3pm and it was quite sunny. The garden was beautiful but i don't
want a garden that will only get a little bit of sun. I don't want to
make a big mistake any advice much appreciated.

Very roughly, at the equinoxes - March and September - the sun rises in
the E and sets in the W. In midwinter it rises SE and sets SW, in
midsummer it rises NE and sets NW.

So in midsummer, even a N facing garden will get sun early morning and
late afternoon.

The sun also gets higher in the sky in midsummer, so the length of the
house shadow will be less - indeed, you may get very little shadow at
midday (or 1pm BST). At the moment, you're seeing it at its best - the
longest day is about June 21, so it will be like this or better till
about mid July.
--
Kay

tanya1 02-06-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K (Post 848650)
tanya1 writes

[...]

Thanks so much Kay- very informative. I didn't think about the suns position at different times of the year. I don't think the house will be for me i like winter sun as i spend so much time outdoors. Thanks again for your reply.