Old 03-06-2009, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mail Order Plants

On 2009-06-03 17:06:21 +0100, Martin said:

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 16:59:11 +0100, Sacha wrote:
snip

Well, given Mr Crowe's perpetual harassment of me, I'm certainly going
to get my computer guru to check mine over.

While you are at it get the auditors check the charity accounts.

?? I don't have anything to do with charity accounts, mine or
anyone's! I've already emailed my computer techie asking him about
this so will wait to see what he has to say about it.

It wasn't your charity accounts I had in mind, silly.

Ah. Well anything else is outside my province!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Old 03-06-2009, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-03 13:08:41 +0100, said:

In article ,
'Mike' wrote:

Two questions which are very relavent

1) Do you believe in ghosts?
2) Have you seen a ghost?

Of course. Miss Willmott's.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

;-)) I do like that one, Nick. So appropriate.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Someone shows you how easy it is to get into information for MY benefit
and to make sure MY security is up to date, and it leads to all sorts of
trouble

Err no.
What actually got you into trouble was your boasting about who was reading
your 'killfiled' post, and then building up the story by describing the
illegal activities that you allegedly witnessed.
So don't try to play the injured party, it won't wash.
Perhaps you have now finally learned a lesson and will leave the people here
to talk about their gardening in peace.

I'm not a gardener either so I will also leave the group now. However I will
check tomorrow to read your confirmation that you have reported the crime/s
you witnessed. If you have not done so then I will make the report myself.

As you are so fond of saying, "the truth will prevail".

So will justice.

RG

Old 04-06-2009, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I'm not a gardener either so I will also leave the group now. However I
will check tomorrow to read your confirmation that you have reported the
crime/s you witnessed. If you have not done so then I will make the report
myself.

I shouldn't waste Police time if I were you. Your time would be better used
checking back on such as timing.

This is an old story on the wherefores and whyfores of computer hacking and
caring for your computer, which I 'modified' for my own use. I was curious
that there had been no replies to the Oslers thread and wondered how I could
find out the number 'visitors', which is quite common on other sites, 34
have visited the thread on Garden banter, when I remembered the variation
explained in the Computer section in a Boating Magazine.

But what I would like to know is, that in my story, 'another' computer did
all the work, not mine, so why are so many people concerned about 'ME'
hacking into their computer and why are they running to the computer buffs
to see what damage I have done, AND, why are they worried 'if they have me
kill filed and don't read my threads'?????? Sort of coming out of the
woodwork comes to mind which is what I wanted in the first place :-)))

"ME" hack into a computer? I only just know how to switch mine on and use
it. Any problems and it is straight back to the shop!!

However, has it been a warning to you to make sure that the sort of thing I
reported cannot happen to you?????? Are you sure?????? Dead sure???????

Do have a nice day

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 04-06-2009, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

No-one accused you of hacking anything. We took at face value your claim
that your friend was hacking into peoples' computers.

Now that you have admitted your story was a pack of lies, I will not take
the matter further.
However I cannot speak for others, and if someone else has called in the
police it will be *you* who is guilty of wasting police time for making up
the story.

I sincerely hope that you have learned a lesson about your behaviour on this
and other newsgroups.
This thread will remain on Google, Yahoo, etc for future reference.

RG

Old 04-06-2009, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"RG" wrote in message
No-one accused you of hacking anything. We took at face value your claim
that your friend was hacking into peoples' computers.

Now that you have admitted your story was a pack of lies, I will not take
the matter further.
However I cannot speak for others, and if someone else has called in the
police it will be *you* who is guilty of wasting police time for making up
the story.

I sincerely hope that you have learned a lesson about your behaviour on
this and other newsgroups.
This thread will remain on Google, Yahoo, etc for future reference.

RG

And I sincerely hope that you, and others, have learnt the lesson that your
computer MUST be up to date against all security issues :-))

Just to remind you, that the story has been going around for quite some
time, rather like the Supermarket taking some stuff from a supplier, then a
lot more, then ALL of it, then pushing the price down, then abandoning them.
Nobody ever 'knows' who it has happened to, but the story goes round as a
warning :-)) Be warned :-))

Do have a nice day

Sun shining wall to wall here :-))

Don't forget to cast your vote everyone for the BNP

Kind regards

Mike

Old 04-06-2009, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-04 10:54:12 +0100, Martin said:

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 10:41:51 +0100, "RG" wrote:

No-one accused you of hacking anything. We took at face value your claim
that your friend was hacking into peoples' computers.

Now that you have admitted your story was a pack of lies, I will not take
the matter further.
However I cannot speak for others, and if someone else has called in the
police it will be *you* who is guilty of wasting police time for making up
the story.

I sincerely hope that you have learned a lesson about your behaviour on this
and other newsgroups.
This thread will remain on Google, Yahoo, etc for future reference.

and all those "forums" that hack stuff from urg and pretend it is all part of
their forum.

The point surely is that nobody now knows whether this is another of
Crowe's lies? He told us he had been present when someone had hacked
into an urgler's computer and that he intended to find out how that is
done.
He's changing his story to pretend it's all some urban myth. How do we
know he's not lying to cover his back having been threatened with the
police? Why would a man who says now he barely knows how to turn on
his computer, think that this group which is full of *very*
computer-savvy people needs any kind of lesson in computer security
from him? Even his over-stuffed ego can't render him that stupid,
surely?
I do not believe this about-face. One way or the other Crowe is lying
or has lied and is playing his usual hand of "I did it it for your own
good" or "you should read what I really wrote" etc. We've seen this
sort of thing from him dozens of times but this time, his desire to
boast has got him into hot water.
IMO, he did exactly what he said in the first place and now is
pretending it's all some urban myth, using one of his favourite
bugbears to do so, because a member of urg is consulting the police
about it. What kind of nutcase puts out a claim like that and then
tells another that he hopes it's been a lesson to him on his computer's
security?! I think he's guilty as hell and that finally, his
vainglorious boasting has turned on him and has potentially put him up
to his neck in real trouble.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Do I detect a little stirring?

No, never.

:-((

Oh dear.

And to think the sun is shining out there!!

Kindest possible regards

Mike

Old 04-06-2009, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-04 10:54:12 +0100, Martin said:

[...]

I am not computer savvy, it would be pointless pretending I was, I
would be sussed out in a second. However, I got my husband to read
this thread; he says we are behind a firewall and we are safe but he
has taken the post seriously and is to get advice on it from some real
savvy computer people, I'll let you know the outcome as this is quite
worrying. We have a lot of financial matters on our computers; the
thought of someone being able to ... well. I have no doubt the claims
made earlier will be pursued by someone as this is quite dangerous if
it is true.

Judith
Old 04-06-2009, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jun 4, 11:57 am, Sacha wrote:

I am not computer savvy, it would be pointless pretending I was, I
would be sussed out in a second. However, I got my husband to read
this thread; he says we are behind a firewall and we are safe but he
has taken the post seriously and is to get advice on it from some real
savvy computer people, I'll let you know the outcome as this is quite
worrying. We have a lot of financial matters on our computers; the
thought of someone being able to ... well. I have no doubt the claims
made earlier will be pursued by someone as this is quite dangerous if
it is true.

Let's be clear about this.
* If you have a proper firewall and virus checker you are safe.
* If you don't, you are vulnerable.

You should always be careful, and there are many sources of good advice.

Ignore fools like Mike Crowe who purport to advise you. As Sacha says,
either his original story was a lie or his denial of it is a lie. In either
case his opinion is worthless, and his gibbering excuses now are just plain
embarrassing. His family would be ashamed if they could see it.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I am not computer savvy, it would be pointless pretending I was, I
would be sussed out in a second. However, I got my husband to read
this thread; he says we are behind a firewall and we are safe but he
has taken the post seriously and is to get advice on it from some real
savvy computer people, I'll let you know the outcome as this is quite
worrying. We have a lot of financial matters on our computers; the
thought of someone being able to ... well. I have no doubt the claims
made earlier will be pursued by someone as this is quite dangerous if
it is true.

Judith

Judith so glad you have heeded the warning :-))

As you would have seen there is nothing to fear from my example which as
Sascha says is an Urban Myth, but is used as an example and warning.

However, do please have your computer checked for security measures, I have
mine done automatically every year :-)) I too have lots of financial
details, plus lots of lists of names and addresses of members of ex Services
Associations which are of course protected by the Data Protection Act and I
am responsible for their security and safety.

Best wishes

Mike

Old 04-06-2009, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-04 12:31:16 +0100, Judith in France

On 2009-06-04 10:54:12 +0100, Martin said:

[...]

I have talked to my computer adviser about this and received his
opinion and of course, I'm not going to disclose what he has said on
here. It seems that Fuschia, who has not yet posted today, intended to
consult the police on the matter. Whether he has or not, we don't
know, obviously. He may have decided to get a techie to check out his
computer first. Unfortunately for Crowe (who I see is now trying to
accuse urg of aggression, which, having told us he's watched someone
hack into one of our computers and wants to learn the tricks himself,
is just outrageous even by his standards!) his very unpleasant and
boastful nature makes me think it all too likely that he'd enjoy
learning how to get into others' computers and have some sort of 'hold'
over them that he could then drop hints about. Unfortunately for him,
his uncontrollable compulsion to brag means that this time he's shown
his hand rather too openly and has got himself into potentially serious
trouble if anyone detects a 'visitor' on their computer.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

having told us he's watched someone hack into one of our computers and
wants to learn the tricks himself,

Please post where I have said I want to hack into anyone's computer.

Looking forward to a very speedy reply

Mike

Old 04-06-2009, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
RG wrote:

Let's be clear about this.
* If you have a proper firewall and virus checker you are safe.
* If you don't, you are vulnerable.

Nope. Only the second is. You need to do a LOT more than that to be
even reasonably safe. While it's not beyond my abilities, it is way
beyond the effort I am prepared to expend, so even I live dangerously.

But those two are fairly easy ways of improving security.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thousands still believe he is ***the*** President of the RAF Association
or
whatever it was he claimed to be.
--

Martin

Well the 3,000 members do for starters :-))

Should you doubt it of course, why not come to RAF Cosford on Sunday 28th
June when as President, I will welcome Air Chief Marshal Sir Christopher
Moran KCB. OBE. MVO. ADC. MA. BSc. RAF. Commander in Chief. Air Command who
will be taking the salute at the parade?

Entry is free, but get there early

Kindest regards

Mike