Old 04-06-2009, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mail Order Plants

snip the above which has already been dealt with in an orderly manner with
explanations to people's mistakes given.

This is just standard bullshit, like his claims about life at sea when he
actually spent his National Service as a wireman on a shore base, and his
suggestive talk about how many medals he might have.

'Life at sea'??

National Service is two years, hardly 'a life'

Wireman on a Shore Base? Kindly elaborate. Funny 'Shore Base' which visited
Scotland, Denmark, Spain, Gibraltar !!! :-)
Incidently, the term 'Wireman' was dropped in 1946 when the Electrical
Branch was formed. 'Wiremen' were those Torpedo Men who were trained in
Electrics at Pembroke and later H.M.S. COLLINGWOOD

As you are so interested, go and find out what rank I was and in what branch
:-))

As for medals, do a little research and see just what medals I was entitled
to. It might somewhat surprise you :-))

No doubt he will take issue with the above, but it's all recorded on
Google
Groups for anyone who wants to look.

Pity they are untruths put out by people such as your good self

Mike will of course be highly delighted that you continue to takes an
interest in his lies and half-truths.

Well of course if they are twisted and turned to make something totally
untrue, or even half untrue, then I will be delighted to correct them

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 04-06-2009, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I googled and found he had spent 10 years in the Navy and that he lives in
Warrington

Wrong on the number of years and never been to Warrington, as far as I can
remember.

Try again :-))

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 04-06-2009, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 3:42*pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 07:25:00 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jun 4, 1:33*pm, wrote:
In article ,

RG wrote:

Let's be clear about this.
* If you have a proper firewall and virus checker you are safe.
* If you don't, you are vulnerable.

Nope. *Only the second is. *You need to do a LOT more than that to be
even reasonably safe. *While it's not beyond my abilities, it is way
beyond the effort I am prepared to expend, so even I live dangerously.

But those two are fairly easy ways of improving security.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

We have a virus checker that is updated daily.

Since test reports complained about relatively low frequency of updates, Norton
Internet Security claims to update several times an hour.
--

Martin

Edward deals with all computer stuff, I will show him your post, it
may be that this is what happens anyway, I don't know.

Judith
Old 04-06-2009, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-04 15:27:47 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On Jun 4, 12:51*pm, Sacha wrote:
snip

*
his uncontrollable compulsion to brag means that this time he's shown
his hand rather too openly and has got himself into potentially serious
trouble if anyone detects a 'visitor' on their computer.
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Oh dear it looks as if he has said too much on usenet and it could
well come back and bite him on the bum; legally.

Judith

It certainly will if he pursues his 'curiosity' in how such things are
done, or continues to encourage and associate with, hackers.

He wrote:

"The frightening part was when he went into one persons computer
because they happened to be on line at the time, and read what they were
doing. Their security was NIL!!!

As with all computer nerds, his fingers were across the keyboard putting
codes in so fast I could never remember them, so I wouldn't know how to get
in again. However I will ask him to write it down because I am curious."

Old 04-06-2009, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
On 2009-06-04 15:27:47 +0100, Judith in France

He wrote:

"The frightening part was when he went into one persons computer
because they happened to be on line at the time, and read what they were
doing. Their security was NIL!!!

As with all computer nerds, his fingers were across the keyboard putting
codes in so fast I could never remember them, so I wouldn't know how to
get
in again. However I will ask him to write it down because I am curious."
Sacha

and the follow up this morning which you have already picked me up on?

Come on come on keep up

Kindest possible regards

Mike
(Some people just don't keep up)

Old 07-06-2009, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , RG
wrote

Let's be clear about this.
* If you have a proper firewall and virus checker you are safe.
* If you don't, you are vulnerable.

See if 'Shields Up' can detect a hole in your firewall
http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

The above web site has been on the Net as long as I can remember and the
claim for 84.9 million shields up tests can be believed.

BTW, if you do find problems don't necessarily go out and buy a
solution as the cure may be a configuration setting on your own
computer. If you are not running a software firewall or virus checker
you can obtain them (legitimately) for free from the Net. Free firewall
or virus checker programs are usually exactly the same as paid for
versions but without the backup technical support - which most people
don't need anyway - or can be obtained for Internet forums.

--
Alan