Old 07-06-2009, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Digging a fence panel post hole

On Jun 6, 7:50*pm, aquachimp
wrote:
On Jun 6, 4:17*pm, "mo" wrote:

these are concrete posts by the way. they are 9 foot as i have 6 foot posts
and a gravel board - so i might end up putting just over 2 foot underground

the electric post borer is looking more attractive if it will save me a LOT
more time.

The one up there is not electrical. It's 2stroke engine.
And as stated, suitable for soft ground.

i am guessing tho it will just me me a nice snug hole straight down -

Not to fast straight down I hope; When they shoot down like that they
can be a devil of a job to get back out again.

will
the hole be wide enough

No, not a chance.

I forgot to add, what you'll need is ballast, least, I think that's
what it's called in the UK (sand&stones mix, probably 25kg bags; at
least, & @ a bag per post, with cement at say; 5 to 1 ballast-cement
and not too wet.) Also, something like a pickaxe handle (wider at the
base) to pack in the mix around the posts.
I don't think postcrete has enough grittiness for use with concrete
posts. That extra stoniness adds to the working stability.

If you're doing this all on your lonesome and can spread the work over
time, I suggest you put in just one post on day one. Next day, or
there after, it should be well set to help you out a bit. But if
fencing to an existing set structure you wont need to wait.
Using the gravel board in position, locate the position of the next
post and dig it out. No need for measuring tape. Put in the next post,
and check it's plume against the gravel board side, the first post/
existing structure being already set, you can fiddle about pressing
the new post into the GB.
You can even position the fence panels (I'm assuming...) but you'll
need to give them independent support front and back so as their
potential leaning weight do not sway the post to lean out of
alignment. In fact, if you're doing this alone it's worth doing so
because lifting panels to slide into position between the (grooved?)
concrete posts is very difficult on ones own.
Then continue with the others.

or will i need to put a couple of heales near each

I'm unfamiliar with "heales"

other to make it wide enough?

Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Hi
I need to install 7 fence posts, I want to do them AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!

They are 9 foot posts

As I understand it I should aim to do a narrow hole as possible. But I have
also read I should stick some hardcore down there to help hold it in place -
doesn't this mean I should dig the holes a bit wider than the post itself?
or they just mean smaller rubble?

Anyhow, which tool will do it for me the quickest?

http://www.hss.com/g/62720/Post-Hole-Borer-Manual.html

Looks a bit small.....?

http://www.hss.com/g/50631/Shovel-Holer.html

Any good?

I also saw a digging shovel available elsewhe

http://www.triadsupply.com/products/...392_shovel.jpg

Thanks!

What ever you use to dig the hole do not concrete in the posts, they will
rot off at the top of the concrete in no time, a tanalised post with hard
core rammed down the sides will last far longer
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 08-06-2009, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Posts delivered today, they are massive.

I think I will go for some sort of electric or motor powered digger because
manually digging the holes plus geeting the posts in will near on kill me.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Oh - come on - to dig an old post out and put a new one I only allow
an hour per post, in all of my fencing jobs, and thats only with a
ditching shovel and maybe a concrete breaker.

But the time you have messed around on the forums ( 4 days ) you could
have taken out and put in 28 posts.

Old 13-06-2009, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 8, 9:08*pm, "mo" wrote:
Posts delivered today, they are massive.

I think I will go for some sort of electric or motor powered digger because
manually digging the holes plus geeting the posts in will near on kill me..

Yep, 9' concrete posts are heavy.

BTW,

You'll need a string line long enough for a double line. 1 just above
the ground, the other around eye level, or just above (not below)
This help to speed up the checking on the leaning, in or out.

A spirit level

A crow-bar can be very useful

A measuring tape, to mark off depth on the posts level to the top of
the gravel board, unless the posts come with very handy marking

A wheel barrow can be handy too for either mixing the mix, or just
carting away the excess soil.