GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomatoes on the vine (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/184473-tomatoes-vine.html)

Pam Moore[_2_] 05-06-2009 04:48 PM

Tomatoes on the vine

All the tomatoes I've seen growing ripen in sequence down the stem.
Vine tomatoes in the supermarkets are usually all equally ripe.
How do they acheive that?

Pam in Bristol

K 05-06-2009 05:13 PM

Tomatoes on the vine

Pam Moore writes

All the tomatoes I've seen growing ripen in sequence down the stem.
Vine tomatoes in the supermarkets are usually all equally ripe.
How do they acheive that?

The ones I buy are not - the ones at the tip are less ripe, either not
quite red, or, if they are red, the ones at the base are softer.

--
Kay

Pam Moore[_2_] 07-06-2009 06:37 PM

Tomatoes on the vine

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 17:13:51 +0100, K wrote:

Pam Moore writes

All the tomatoes I've seen growing ripen in sequence down the stem.
Vine tomatoes in the supermarkets are usually all equally ripe.
How do they acheive that?

The ones I buy are not - the ones at the tip are less ripe, either not
quite red, or, if they are red, the ones at the base are softer.

I bought some in the supermarket last week; 6 on a vine, all aqually
red, seemingly equally ripe. Short of eating one from each end, I
could tell no difference.

Pam in Bristol

alan.holmes 08-06-2009 10:42 PM

Tomatoes on the vine

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

All the tomatoes I've seen growing ripen in sequence down the stem.
Vine tomatoes in the supermarkets are usually all equally ripe.
How do they acheive that?

I do not understand why people buy them, they are just a scam, no different
from any other tomato, other than Spanish ones of course, they are very
expensive with no advantage, just to fool people into paying more for
something which has not been seperated before sale.

Alan

Pam Moore[_2_] 09-06-2009 04:17 PM

Tomatoes on the vine

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 22:42:19 +0100, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .

All the tomatoes I've seen growing ripen in sequence down the stem.
Vine tomatoes in the supermarkets are usually all equally ripe.
How do they acheive that?

I do not understand why people buy them, they are just a scam, no different
from any other tomato, other than Spanish ones of course, they are very
expensive with no advantage, just to fool people into paying more for
something which has not been seperated before sale.

Alan

Well, Alan, I treat myself now and then, and yes they are different.
They smell and taste of fresh-picked tomatoes. If they don't smell
right I don't buy them.

Pam in Bristol

Kate Morgan 09-06-2009 09:01 PM

Tomatoes on the vine

All the tomatoes I've seen growing ripen in sequence down the stem.
Vine tomatoes in the supermarkets are usually all equally ripe.
How do they acheive that?

I do not understand why people buy them, they are just a scam, no
different
from any other tomato, other than Spanish ones of course, they are very
expensive with no advantage, just to fool people into paying more for
something which has not been seperated before sale.

Alan

Well, Alan, I treat myself now and then, and yes they are different.
They smell and taste of fresh-picked tomatoes. If they don't smell
right I don't buy them.

Pam in Bristol

I am with Pam on that one, I bought some tiny ones on the vine, Piccolo I
think that they were called and they tasted very very good.

kate