Old 05-06-2009, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seeds taking too long to germinate?

Why is it, that practically all the seeds I have sown this year have either
failed to germinate, or taken several weeks to show themselves?

It is very annoying.

Alan

Old 05-06-2009, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 5 June, 19:56, "alan.holmes" wrote:
Why is it, that practically all the seeds I have sown this year have either
failed to germinate, or taken several weeks to show themselves?

It is very annoying.

Alan

A lot of seeds are temperature sensitive, whilst most people realise
that seeds wont germinate if they are to cold, the same goes if they
are to hot, and all seeds have differeny temp. ranges.
You may well find that now it is cooling down then they may decide to
start moving.
David Hill
Old 06-06-2009, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 5 June, 19:56, "alan.holmes" wrote:
Why is it, that practically all the seeds I have sown this year have
either
failed to germinate, or taken several weeks to show themselves?

It is very annoying.

Alan

A lot of seeds are temperature sensitive, whilst most people realise
that seeds wont germinate if they are to cold, the same goes if they
are to hot, and all seeds have differeny temp. ranges.
You may well find that now it is cooling down then they may decide to
start moving.
David Hill

I have never been very good at seed germinating :-( I find big seeds are
pretty easy but diddy ones are a pain, for me anyway

kate

Old 06-06-2009, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:
On 5 June, 19:56, "alan.holmes" wrote:
Why is it, that practically all the seeds I have sown this year have
either failed to germinate, or taken several weeks to show
themselves?

It is very annoying.

Alan

A lot of seeds are temperature sensitive, whilst most people realise
that seeds wont germinate if they are to cold, the same goes if they
are to hot, and all seeds have differeny temp. ranges.
You may well find that now it is cooling down then they may decide to
start moving.
David Hill

Much easier for me. I don't know when they are supposed to appear, so I
just wait and not worry)

Not sure what I would do if they didn't appear at all)

Old 06-06-2009, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
On 5 June, 19:56, "alan.holmes" wrote:
Why is it, that practically all the seeds I have sown this year have
either failed to germinate, or taken several weeks to show
themselves?

It is very annoying.

Alan

A lot of seeds are temperature sensitive, whilst most people realise
that seeds wont germinate if they are to cold, the same goes if they
are to hot, and all seeds have differeny temp. ranges.
You may well find that now it is cooling down then they may decide to
start moving.
David Hill

Much easier for me. I don't know when they are supposed to appear, so I
just wait and not worry)

Not sure what I would do if they didn't appear at all)

Keep waiting. If you have some seeds of unusual species, then don't throw
away the pots of seeds for at least 3 years. Some seeds have double
dormancy, which means they need at least 2 winters to go through before they
will germinate. Others have very persistent germination inhibitors or very
thick seed coats, which need a long time to break down. It's all to do with
nature making sure that some seeds hang around a while before germinating,
thus ensuring some survive while those that germinated quickly may perish.

--
Jeff

Old 06-06-2009, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
[...]

Oh my!! Thanks, Jeff! That is very interesting.

As always, your advice will be saved for future reference,

Old 06-06-2009, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 6, 8:26*am, "Ophelia" wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
On 5 June, 19:56, "alan.holmes" wrote:
Why is it, that practically all the seeds I have sown this year have
either failed to germinate, or taken several weeks to show
themselves?

It is very annoying.

Alan

A lot of seeds are temperature sensitive, whilst most people realise
that seeds wont germinate if they are to cold, the same goes if they
are to hot, and all seeds have differeny temp. ranges.

n, You may well find that now it is cooling down then they may
decide to
start moving.
David Hill

Much easier for me. *I don't know when they are supposed to appear, so I
just wait and not worry)

Not sure what I would do if they didn't appear at all)

It's a little too early to worry yet, seeds I have given up on i.e.
Basil, is now germinating nicely.

Judith
Old 07-06-2009, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
[...]

You are welcome. Note that for some, 3 years is considered a little hasty!
They make keep sown seed for 5 years or even more!!! I wonder where they
keep all these pots, and make sure that the labels stay legible...

--
Jeff

Old 07-06-2009, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
On 5 June, 19:56, "alan.holmes"
wrote:
[...]

Good point I doubt I shall ever try to grow anything so exotic that it
will take years to germinate, but if I do, you will be hearing about it