Old 06-06-2009, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default cistus q

Last year when I knew even less than I do now, in late October I
pruned a very leggy cistus - not drastically, but as much as I could
without cutting back into the wood.

In fact it seems to have responded well to that treatment but I've
since learnt that cistus doesn't like to be pruned and am wondering if
this is something not to be risked again?

If I take the plunge again, would it be better to prune after
flowering (that'll be soon) or is autumn a safer option?

thanks if anyone can enlighten me.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=477576

Old 07-06-2009, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 23:52:01 +0100, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

bob wrote in message
.. .
Last year when I knew even less than I do now, in late October I
pruned a very leggy cistus - not drastically, but as much as I could
without cutting back into the wood.

In fact it seems to have responded well to that treatment but I've
since learnt that cistus doesn't like to be pruned and am wondering if
this is something not to be risked again?

If I take the plunge again, would it be better to prune after
flowering (that'll be soon) or is autumn a safer option?

thanks if anyone can enlighten me.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=477576

In fact I'd already seen this when I googled cistus prune and was
dismayed to find a balance of contrary advice (prune?...no/post
flowering/autumn; old wood?...yes/no), which is why I was hoping to
root out Prof. Cistus here.

No prob - I'll go with my instincts. Thanks for posting the link
anyway.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bob wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 23:52:01 +0100, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

bob wrote in message
.. .
[...]

With cistus no pruning is required and older plants seldom recover from
being cut back. On young plants straggly growths may be lightly trimmed
in March to provide bushy growth. Also, remove all dead and frost
damaged wood.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Emrys Davies" contains these words:

With cistus no pruning is required and older plants seldom recover from
being cut back. On young plants straggly growths may be lightly trimmed
in March to provide bushy growth. Also, remove all dead and frost
damaged wood.

I would add, IME they are not longlived plants ( 5 yrs or so is good
going in a wet windy climate).

It also depends a lot on the soil - the better-drained and poorer,
the better for longevity. Mine last a lot longer than that, and my
normal reason for replacing them is that they have got too big.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I've decided I'll take the risk and prune this as I did last autumn,
with the same caution I'd exercise over a lavender and maybe straight
after flowering.

I'll probably try and be a little more strategic because at the
moment, the plant's long robust bare legs (growing almost
horizontally) are starting to become covered with a canopy of new
growth growing backwards towards the origin of the plant (if you see
what I mean). I'll leave that reverse growth to flourish (hopefully)
while trying to keep its relentless onward and upward march in check.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this.