Old 13-06-2009, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coriander

On Jun 13, 2:04*pm, wrote:
In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:

Judith in France wrote:

they breed rabbits for the table here and neighbours
keep offering me one, they ask me to select it when still alive!!!!!
The first time my neighbour offered me one, I said "oh dear; you mean
you'll kill it?" *she replied "well, you can't eat it alive"! *I don't
like rabbit at all.

We've got a neighbour who keeps rabbits for the table. While we welcome
his occasional gift of plums or melons, a skinned rabbit was not the
nicest. The Mrs was not impressed as he had left its head on and its
dead eyes were staring at her as she prepared it. Put her off the meal.
Can't say as I'm too keen on the taste either. The meat is a bit strong,
though I suppose one could get used to it.

The mind boggles! *If the rabbit tasted strong, it had either been
eating something unusual or had been left too long after being killed.
It is a very bland meat, except by comparison with supermarket 'white'
meats.

I am afraid that I find both of your responses rather sad. *Sorry,
but the reality of butchery is an intrinsic part of meat eating.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I agree with you, call me a wuss if you like :-) I went trout fishing
and I couldn't take the hook out of it's mouth and, yes, I did eat it
after someone else took it out. I have 3 chickens, free range. Quite
deliberately, I have not named them; I see them as food and they will
be pot au chicken in the Winter. No, I won't kill them, as I said, I
am a wuss :-)

Judith
Old 13-06-2009, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-13, Judith in France wrote:

John, how would you use that amount of Coriander? I have lettuce
growing, enough to feed the 5,000 and I have no idea how to use the
majority of it; although I eat a green salad every day. Maybe I
should go into the cooking group and ask for recipes; although lettuce
soup is awful.

I agree it is a lot. When it's growing, I use the youngest very tastiest
leaves, in salads and rice, lentils (cook a lot of curry) and thai-style
food, or a (sort-of) fried rice with chopped veg, or in a fish soup. I
also make a paste of it, like the stuff you'd get in a jar (but no oil,
just lemon juice), and freeze blobs of it in ice cube trays, empty the
tray, bag it up... it does me until it's time to sow again. It all gets
used, the stuff that flowers and bolts I'll let seed then keep the seed
for next years crop and grind the rest when I need to make a curry
powder. A lot of finely chopped fresh coriander plant fits into a very
small space. The thing about freezing it in blobs is that one blob will
coriander freshly a rice for two or three people.

The stuff you get in jars in the shops is like £1.50 or more for a small
jar and I really resent paying that

--
comp.john
Old 13-06-2009, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-13, Judith in France wrote:

You can send me mange tout any time you like; love them. As for
courgettes, I love cutting them in half, lengthwise, scoop out seeds,
fill the space with sausage meat, herbs, finely chopped garlic'or
onion or shallot or all if you want and breadcrumbs,brush with olive
oil and bake in the oven until the courgette is soft and the filling
is brown and crispy; lovely.

ooooh I'm starving now!

I do a similar thing with marrow - cook the minced meat first with herbs
etc. Same kind of thinking: cut the top off a bell pepper, fill it with
chili con carne you made previously, put the top on, bake until pepper
is cooked but still strong enough to hold the contents, serve with rice.
--
comp.john
Old 13-06-2009, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
Oh no Martin, they breed rabbits for the table here and neighbours
keep offering me one, they ask me to select it when still alive!!!!!
The first time my neighbour offered me one, I said "oh dear; you mean
you'll kill it?" she replied "well, you can't eat it alive"! I don't
like rabbit at all.

My David shoots wild rabbit regularly. I have a couple of favourite
recipes, err well, one is my favourite and one is Davids

ob gardening. My tomato plants in the basket have lots of flowers. No sign
of any lumpy bits yet that could be the fruit.

Old 13-06-2009, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jun 6, 3:01 pm, "Bioboffin" wrote:
"dido22" wrote in message

Hello,

I grow coriander in a pot on the window-ledge & it does fine there.

It is starting to produce little flowers. Should I leave them on? or
should I remove them to encourage growth?. I assume I can eat them OK?

Thanks

If you leave them, they should produce seeds, which are also useful in
cooking. However you can save them, and sow them next year.

I grow coriander in the garden - last year I bought a plant in a garden
centre, but this year about 6 plants have grown from the seeds which fell
off last year's plant. I currently have massive 80cm tall coriander plants
which are beginning to flower too.

--

John

John, how would you use that amount of Coriander? I have lettuce
growing, enough to feed the 5,000 and I have no idea how to use the
majority of it; although I eat a green salad every day. Maybe I
should go into the cooking group and ask for recipes; although lettuce
soup is awful.

Judith

To be honest, I'm not a coriander enthusiast. I mainly grow it because SWMBO
likes it!

However, I do have some concern for the plant, and only use a leaf here or
there, rather than chopping the lot down and using it all at once!

However, my wishes on that score are all about to be revised, as the
builders will shortly be moving in to lay the new paving around the herb bed
(which I plan to keep), and I think I will probably cut the plant down and
freeze it.

--

John

Growing coriander... Tracy United Kingdom 18 05-06-2004 11:36 PM
Growing coriander Abso United Kingdom 15 22-10-2003 10:48 PM
Coriander AndWhyNot United Kingdom 8 26-06-2003 07:57 PM
Tall and skinny coriander Nobby United Kingdom 7 11-06-2003 10:56 PM
Prune coriander for more leaves? Frogleg Gardening 2 05-05-2003 09:08 AM