GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   what is this insect? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/184507-what-insect.html)

bob[_1_] 06-06-2009 02:28 PM

what is this insect?

can someone id this please?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/IMG_2409.jpg

Only ever spotted on the cistus.

Sacha[_4_] 06-06-2009 04:00 PM

what is this insect?

On 2009-06-06 14:28:54 +0100, bob said:

can someone id this please?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/IMG_2409.jpg

Only ever spotted on the cistus.

Try Trichius rosaceus in a Google image search.
http://www.pbase.com/zazen94/image/79321942
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

moghouse 06-06-2009 05:46 PM

what is this insect?

On Jun 6, 2:28*pm, bob wrote:
can someone id this please?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/IMG_2409.jpg

Only ever spotted on the cistus.

Could be a Six-spotted Cistus Beetle, if it isn't it should be. Why
haven't I got any cute guys like this on my Cistus?

bob[_1_] 06-06-2009 06:02 PM

what is this insect?

can someone id this please?

--

- thanks Sacha - you got it in one.

bob[_1_] 06-06-2009 06:03 PM

what is this insect?

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 09:46:11 -0700 (PDT), moghouse
wrote:

On Jun 6, 2:28*pm, bob wrote:
can someone id this please?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/IMG_2409.jpg

Only ever spotted on the cistus.

Could be a Six-spotted Cistus Beetle, if it isn't it should be. Why
haven't I got any cute guys like this on my Cistus?

They are cute aren't they?

The photo doesn't do justice to its wings which appear almost soft and
downy rather than reflective. It's also got very fine hair on its
head and backside.

Sacha[_4_] 06-06-2009 06:19 PM

what is this insect?

On 2009-06-06 14:28:54 +0100, bob said:

can someone id this please?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/IMG_2409.jpg

Only ever spotted on the cistus.

Try Trichius rosaceus in a Google image search.
http://www.pbase.com/zazen94/image/79321942
--

- thanks Sacha - you got it in one.

I'm not that good! I've never seen it before so I did some Googling.

bob[_1_] 06-06-2009 06:48 PM

what is this insect?

On 2009-06-06 14:28:54 +0100, bob said:

can someone id this please?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/IMG_2409.jpg

Only ever spotted on the cistus.

Try Trichius rosaceus in a Google image search.
http://www.pbase.com/zazen94/image/79321942
--

- thanks Sacha - you got it in one.

I'm not that good! I've never seen it before so I did some Googling.
--

I thought this might be like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Perhaps you knew where to start. What was your initial search?

moghouse 06-06-2009 07:16 PM

what is this insect?

On Jun 6, 6:03*pm, bob wrote:

............ *It's also got very fine hair on its
head and backside.

That's funny, so have I!

Sheila 06-06-2009 08:58 PM

what is this insect?

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Jun 6, 2:28 pm, bob wrote:
can someone id this please?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/IMG_2409.jpg

Only ever spotted on the cistus.

Could be a Six-spotted Cistus Beetle, if it isn't it should be. Why
haven't I got any cute guys like this on my Cistus?

Why did I read that as a Six-spotted Cruise Beetle???

bob[_1_] 06-06-2009 09:33 PM

what is this insect?

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 11:16:30 -0700 (PDT), moghouse
wrote:

On Jun 6, 6:03*pm, bob wrote:

........... *It's also got very fine hair on its
head and backside.

That's funny, so have I!

Lol! And do your friends have difficulty telling which is which?....

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...IMG_2394-2.jpg

moghouse 06-06-2009 11:14 PM

what is this insect?

On Jun 6, 9:33*pm, bob wrote:

........... *It's also got very fine hair on its
head and backside.

That's funny, so have I!

Lol! And do your friends have difficulty telling which is which?....

It's no problem as long as I don't sit on the cistus.

Sacha[_4_] 06-06-2009 11:36 PM

what is this insect?

On 2009-06-06 14:28:54 +0100, bob said:

can someone id this please?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/IMG_2409.jpg

Only ever spotted on the cistus.

Try Trichius rosaceus in a Google image search.
http://www.pbase.com/zazen94/image/79321942
--
- thanks Sacha - you got it in one.

I'm not that good! I've never seen it before so I did some Googling.
--

I thought this might be like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Perhaps you knew where to start. What was your initial search?

What a question.... I think I started with spotted wing bee, then bee
on cistus, misled by the furry bits. But somewhere at the back of my
mind the legs were ringing a faint bell and 'chafer' was lurking so
then I put that in. I went through a few Google pages before coming up
with that one but in reality, it didn't take too long. So in that
sense, I did know where to start - chafer was my proper kick off point
and the bee thing was a diversion.