Old 06-06-2009, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato Ripening.

Some of mine are now an acceptable size, but no sign of ripening in the
northern climes.
Should I just wait or?...

Last time I grew them ISTR removing them and placing them in a drawer to
ripen, but I think they were beginning to turn red slightly by that
time.
I'd appreciate any comments on this?
The plants are on a S facing window ledge, so plenty of light.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 06-06-2009, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
Some of mine are now an acceptable size, but no sign of ripening in the
northern climes.
Should I just wait or?...

Last time I grew them ISTR removing them and placing them in a drawer to
ripen, but I think they were beginning to turn red slightly by that time.
I'd appreciate any comments on this?
The plants are on a S facing window ledge, so plenty of light.

Best to wait for them to ripen naturally but this has worked for me at
the end of the season, especially with a banana in the drawer. This
gives off ethylene gas which encourages ripening

Malcolm
Old 06-06-2009, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tomatoes taste much better if left to ripen on the plant. The only time I'd
remove them early is in the autumn before the frosts, or there's sign of
disease such as blight.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
Some of mine are now an acceptable size, but no sign of ripening in the
northern climes.
Should I just wait or?...

Last time I grew them ISTR removing them and placing them in a drawer to
ripen, but I think they were beginning to turn red slightly by that time.
I'd appreciate any comments on this?
The plants are on a S facing window ledge, so plenty of light.

in a paper bag with a banana or apple will ripen them.

rob

Old 07-06-2009, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , George.com
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message
Some of mine are now an acceptable size, but no sign of ripening in
the northern climes.
Should I just wait or?...

Last time I grew them ISTR removing them and placing them in a drawer
to ripen, but I think they were beginning to turn red slightly by
that time.
I'd appreciate any comments on this?
The plants are on a S facing window ledge, so plenty of light.

in a paper bag with a banana or apple will ripen them.

rob

Thanks for reminding me of the "ripe fruit" trick!
It's been a few years...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 08-06-2009, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Malcolm
writes
Gordon H wrote:
Some of mine are now an acceptable size, but no sign of ripening in
the northern climes.
Should I just wait or?...
Last time I grew them ISTR removing them and placing them in a
drawer to ripen, but I think they were beginning to turn red slightly
that time.
I'd appreciate any comments on this?
The plants are on a S facing window ledge, so plenty of light.

Best to wait for them to ripen naturally but this has worked for me at
the end of the season, especially with a banana in the drawer. This
gives off ethylene gas which encourages ripening

Malcolm

That's two votes for a banana, but not yet. :-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 09-06-2009, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
In message , Malcolm
writes
Gordon H wrote:
Some of mine are now an acceptable size, but no sign of ripening in
the northern climes.
Should I just wait or?...
Last time I grew them ISTR removing them and placing them in a
drawer to ripen, but I think they were beginning to turn red
slightly that time.
I'd appreciate any comments on this?
The plants are on a S facing window ledge, so plenty of light.

Best to wait for them to ripen naturally but this has worked for me
at the end of the season, especially with a banana in the drawer. This
gives off ethylene gas which encourages ripening

Malcolm

That's two votes for a banana, but not yet. :-)

Make that three votes!

Old 09-06-2009, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ophelia
writes
Gordon H wrote:
In message , Malcolm
writes
Gordon H wrote:
Some of mine are now an acceptable size, but no sign of ripening in
the northern climes.
Should I just wait or?...
Last time I grew them ISTR removing them and placing them in a
drawer to ripen, but I think they were beginning to turn red
slightly that time.
I'd appreciate any comments on this?
The plants are on a S facing window ledge, so plenty of light.
Best to wait for them to ripen naturally but this has worked for me
at the end of the season, especially with a banana in the drawer. This
gives off ethylene gas which encourages ripening

Malcolm

That's two votes for a banana, but not yet. :-)

Make that three votes!

You don't explain how you would use it.
--
Gordon H