Old 06-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Registered User

Location: Saddleworth
Default White ... something ... on young beech trees

(Ooops ... I posted this early in the 'international' section by mistake, so here it is again, where it should be!)

Hi! We've got some young (about 3 years old) beech trees which we've just potted on for planting out at some point. Noticed today that there's an unpleasant white growth/mildew/aphid infection on all of them, but I can't identify it from books, or the web. Can anyone out there tell me what it is, please, and - more importantly - what on earth we can do to get rid of it. The trees have only just been potted on, so are in the unheated greenhouse (well ventilated) at the moment, to keep them out the vicious cold wind.

(for some reason, the site won't allow me to post the attachments I used earlier ... ??. Anyway, pictures of the poorly beech are on the original thread ... )

https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/184502-white-something-young-beech-trees.html

Any advice or education will be most hugely appreciated!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"seedy2311" wrote in message

(Ooops ... I posted this early in the 'international' section by
mistake, so here it is again, where it should be!)

Hi! We've got some young (about 3 years old) beech trees which we've
just potted on for planting out at some point. Noticed today that
there's an unpleasant white growth/mildew/aphid infection on all of
them, but I can't identify it from books, or the web. Can anyone out
there tell me what it is, please, and - more importantly - what on
earth we can do to get rid of it. The trees have only just been potted
on, so are in the unheated greenhouse (well ventilated) at the moment,
to keep them out the vicious cold wind.

(for some reason, the site won't allow me to post the attachments I
used earlier ... ??. Anyway, pictures of the poorly beech are on the
original thread ... )

http://tinyurl.com/ovf3h2

Any advice or education will be most hugely appreciated!

White Fly infestation http://tinyurl.com/qsukf5

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 20:13:48 +0100, seedy2311
wrote:

[...]

Some sort of mealy bug. I've had it on bonsai beech and acers. I
usually find one spray of an insecticide gets rid of it.

Pam in Bristol