Old 07-06-2009, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 2stroke strimmer

The instructions with my new Ryobi strimmer tell me not to mix more
petrol/oil that I can use within 30 days...Anyone tell my why this is
and if it really matters to a couple of months..
It came with a half litre can but that should last months for what I
need to do...
--
Regards
Ted Wager
Old 07-06-2009, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 10:10:53 +0100, Ted wrote:

The instructions with my new Ryobi strimmer tell me not to mix more
petrol/oil that I can use within 30 days...Anyone tell my why this is
and if it really matters to a couple of months..

Ryobi are American, I think thier "gas" must be different to our petrol as
you quite often see that warning and you can buy "gas conditioners" to
prevent it.

I can't say I've ever had a problem with oil/fuel mix after being in the
fuel tank (thus not 100% sealed) of my Ryobi strimmer. Even over winter.
Make sure it's well mixed in the first place and slosh the old stuff about
in the tank in case it has settled (but I don't think it would).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Liquorice wrote:

I can't say I've ever had a problem with oil/fuel mix after being in the
fuel tank (thus not 100% sealed) of my Ryobi strimmer. Even over winter.

Ditto with my Ryobi strimmer. I've left mixed fuel in it over Winter and
it doesn't seem to have had any detrimental effects and it still runs
with the old fuel anyway. I just top it up as necessary with pre-mixed 2
stroke.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 12:52:11 +0200, David in Normandy wrote:

Ditto with my Ryobi strimmer. I've left mixed fuel in it over Winter and
it doesn't seem to have had any detrimental effects and it still runs
with the old fuel anyway. I just top it up as necessary with pre-mixed 2
stroke.

I got my Ryobi last year. It was never easy to start then and would not
start at all this year (left with fuel in over winter). I drained all the
old fuel out and put new in - it started !

Could be I'm doing something wrong - any ideas ?
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 07-06-2009, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:

I can't say I've ever had a problem with oil/fuel mix after being in the
fuel tank (thus not 100% sealed) of my Ryobi strimmer. Even over winter.

Ditto with my Ryobi strimmer. I've left mixed fuel in it over Winter and
it doesn't seem to have had any detrimental effects and it still runs with
the old fuel anyway. I just top it up as necessary with pre-mixed 2
stroke.

In hot weather you can find the petrol evaporates and leaves the oil behind
to gum up the works, or at least change the fuelil ratio, cauing smoke,
poor running etc. I use the strimmer, then empty it out into the petrol can
that I also use for a 4 stroke engine. The oil content isn't enough to cause
problems so far.

Steve

Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:

In hot weather you can find the petrol evaporates and leaves the oil behind
to gum up the works, or at least change the fuelil ratio, cauing smoke,
poor running etc.

That maybe explains why I don't have a problem with storing fuel in
mine. The strimmer is kept in the corner of a very cold, North facing
garage.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 12:52:11 +0200, David in Normandy wrote:

Ditto with my Ryobi strimmer. I've left mixed fuel in it over Winter and
it doesn't seem to have had any detrimental effects and it still runs
with the old fuel anyway. I just top it up as necessary with pre-mixed 2
stroke.

I got my Ryobi last year. It was never easy to start then and would not
start at all this year (left with fuel in over winter). I drained all the
old fuel out and put new in - it started !

Could be I'm doing something wrong - any ideas ?

The only problem I did have starting mine turned out to be the spark
plug. For a while it was temperamental to start and to keep running,
finally it wouldn't start at all. On removing the spark plug I
discovered the ceramic bit had broken and was loose. New spark plug and
it was fine. Maybe your spark plug ceramic has cracked like mine did?

Old 07-06-2009, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

Ryobi are American, I think thier "gas" must be different to our petrol as
you quite often see that warning and you can buy "gas conditioners" to
prevent it.

They're actually Japanese, I think. Lots of "house brand" tools are
identical to Ryobi. My 2-cycle mix runs the "Toro" (but built by Ryobi)
strimmer and a Stihl chain saw, and is at least a year old. Never a
problem with it, and it has gotten older than that in the past before I
needed to make another 2-gallon batch.

Fuel stabilizer isn't a bad idea for machines stored over winter, but I've
never used it with the 2-cycle things.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 13:50:53 +0200, David in Normandy wrote:

The only problem I did have starting mine turned out to be the spark
plug. For a while it was temperamental to start and to keep running,
finally it wouldn't start at all. On removing the spark plug I
discovered the ceramic bit had broken and was loose. New spark plug and
it was fine. Maybe your spark plug ceramic has cracked like mine did?

I did think that maybe it was the spark plug but was unable to get to it
:-( A cover needs to be removed and I don't have the correct allen key.

As a test I tried to start it again today. Primed it 7 times as per the
instructions and it wouldn't start. Left it an hour or two and tried again
(without priming). It started. Perhaps it doesn't need so much priming ?
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 07-06-2009, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 13:50:53 +0200, David in Normandy wrote:

The only problem I did have starting mine turned out to be the spark
plug. For a while it was temperamental to start and to keep running,
finally it wouldn't start at all. On removing the spark plug I
discovered the ceramic bit had broken and was loose. New spark plug and
it was fine. Maybe your spark plug ceramic has cracked like mine did?

I did think that maybe it was the spark plug but was unable to get to it
:-( A cover needs to be removed and I don't have the correct allen key.

As a test I tried to start it again today. Primed it 7 times as per the
instructions and it wouldn't start. Left it an hour or two and tried again
(without priming). It started. Perhaps it doesn't need so much priming ?

Sounds like you are flooding it maybe? Better to err on the side of less
priming. You can always give it another push if necessary. Once flooded
you would need to wait for the petrol to evaporate before it will start.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

The instructions with my new Ryobi strimmer tell me not to mix more
petrol/oil that I can use within 30 days...Anyone tell my why this is
and if it really matters to a couple of months..
It came with a half litre can but that should last months for what I
need to do...

In my experience with 2 stroke strimmers, you'll only put a small
amount of
mixed fuel in the tank, then when you're finished, empty the remaining
fuel
out or just let the strimmer run out of fuel instead of using the
switch to
stop the spark. Make sure the mix is right & only keep a container of
mixed
fuel for around a month like your instructions say.

2 stroke strimmers can be very temperamental things indeed if you
don't get
into a routine when running them.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 19:19:10 +0200, David in Normandy wrote:

Sounds like you are flooding it maybe? Better to err on the side of less
priming. You can always give it another push if necessary. Once flooded
you would need to wait for the petrol to evaporate before it will start.

I think that's probably the problem. A few more tests me thinks.

Thanks for your help David.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 07-06-2009, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 07:52:19 -0400, Gary Woods wrote:

Ryobi are American,

They're actually Japanese, I think.

You've made me dig. From http://www.ryobitools.com/community/about_us:

"TTI's powerful brand portfolio includes Milwaukee®, AEG® and Ryobi® power
tools and accessories, Ryobi® and Homelite® outdoor products, and Hoover®,
Dirt Devil® and Vax® floor care appliances. Our products are distributed
through major home centers and retailers, full-line tool distributors and
other channels worldwide."

The parent is Techtronic Industries Co. Ltd. listed on the Hong Kong stock
exchange and a bit more digging on http://www.ttigroup.com, strongly
indicates that the head office is in Hong Kong. The AGM and the following
EGM to approve the issuance of about US$50 million in unlisted and
unsecured convertable bonds in two phases was held in Hong Kong.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 13:49:16 +0200, David in Normandy wrote:

That maybe explains why I don't have a problem with storing fuel in
mine. The strimmer is kept in the corner of a very cold, North facing
garage.

Over winter I'd agree but my strimmer only gets use about once a month
during the summer, the garage then can be quite warm.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 17:57:02 +0100, Hugh Jampton wrote:

As a test I tried to start it again today. Primed it 7 times as per the
instructions and it wouldn't start. Left it an hour or two and tried
again (without priming). It started.

You need to become as one with your two stroke...

They can be right bar stewards to start from cold. You need to learn what
produces the quickest start for your particular engine in relation to
priming, choke setting(s), pulls, attempts to fire, short run then stop
etc.

I pretty sure I or someone else has previously posted a blow by blow
account of how to start a 2 stroke that was pretty accurate and reliable.
Try google in this group or possibly uk.d-i-y.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Strimmer ? Ted[_4_] United Kingdom 1 17-04-2009 06:03 PM
Strimmer advice needed. (was How to rewind line on to strimmer head?) Adam Lipscombe United Kingdom 2 22-05-2008 02:22 PM
Where to buy a petrol strimmer? Mike United Kingdom 8 08-06-2003 04:32 PM
Where to buy a petrol strimmer? Mike United Kingdom 6 05-06-2003 08:44 AM
electric shock from my strimmer Charlieb United Kingdom 6 17-10-2002 01:31 PM