GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Christmas potatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/184533-christmas-potatoes.html)

soup[_3_] 07-06-2009 12:04 PM

Christmas potatoes

Son is growing potatoes in bags, we have not yet harvested these so
have no idea if the technique works.
We decided it would be good to have "new" potatoes at Christmas . Is
there anywhere that seed potatoes are available for harvesting at
Christmas? When would we plant these seed potatoes? Are there any
Gotchas we should be aware of?
We live just outside Edinburgh but at 600' up. Bags just now are sited
out of direct sunlight and direct wind.

Photo. of foliage growing on Potato sacks:-
http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/soup29465686315.JPG

BOFH[_2_] 08-06-2009 07:30 AM

Christmas potatoes

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
soup wrote:

The "old way" to have new potatoes on the table at christmas
was to harvest potatoes as per usual, select the ones you wanted
to keep, and place them in a (biscuit?) tin, in peat - and bury the tin
in the garden.

No doubt there's some new-fangled way of doing it, but will it
be any better...?

its called Tesco ;-)