Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tiller/Cultivator

We have the tiller/'cultivator, a big one and it is great, but now we
want a small one for in between the rows; neither of us want to hoe,
back problems; any suggestions please?

Judith
Old 07-06-2009, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 7, 10:16*pm, Judith in France
wrote:
We have the tiller/'cultivator, a big one and it is great, but now we
want a small one for in between the rows; neither of us want to hoe,
back problems; any suggestions please?

Judith

Do you have Lidls in France?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We have the tiller/'cultivator, a big one and it is great, but now we
want a small one for in between the rows; neither of us want to hoe,
back problems; any suggestions please?

Judith

Do you have Lidls in France?

Yes, we do????

Judith
Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We have the tiller/'cultivator, a big one and it is great, but now we
want a small one for in between the rows; neither of us want to hoe,
back problems; any suggestions please?

Judith

Do you have Lidls in France?

Yes, we do????

I suggest you have a look at their tiller/cultivator.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
We have the tiller/'cultivator, a big one and it is great, but now we
want a small one for in between the rows; neither of us want to hoe,
back problems; any suggestions please?

Judith

I had exactly the same thought a couple of years ago and bought on of
those little electric tillers. They look a little like an upright green
vacuum cleaner but with some small tiller blades on the business end. It
cost around 100 Euros and turned out to be complete rubbish. It worked
for a little while provided the ground was soft. However, every time it
hit a little rock (one inch size) it jammed. Same if it hit a little
clod of baked hard soil of similar size.

The machine had barely three or four hours use in total and was just
outside its one year warranty when it failed completely. The blades
stopped going around. I dismantled it and was shocked to see how very
badly it was designed. It didn't have any sort of internal clutch
mechanism, which in plain English meant that every time it jammed on a
little rock or bit of earth then the cogs (which were made of nylon)
simply grated over one another. Over a short period of time the obvious
thing happened - the teeth got stripped from the cogs! What a ridiculous
design.

So I suggest avoiding one of those things like the plague! They look
nice but are totally impractical.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 8, 8:56*am, David in Normandy
wrote:

So I suggest avoiding one of those things like the plague! They look
nice but are totally impractical.

I have had mine for two years, used it a lot and it has always worked
perfectly. It sounds to me like you used yours where you should have
been using one of the heavy duty, expensive jobs. Judith enquired
about something to use in place of hoeing. It is important to choose
the right tool for the right job, I'm sure you would agree - you
cannot complain that a Mini can't do the same job as a 4WD.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
[...]

* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the
* *subject line, or it will be automatically deleted
* *by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Thanks David, I only want one to use as a hoe on ground that has
already been well tilled before planting. I take your point about
buying a toll that doesn't stand up to the job. Before we bought the
large cultivator last year, which is excellent; we took a lot of
advice, especially from here. We bought a powerful beast costing in
the region of £1,100 (as far as I remember). It tears up the soil
when dry or wet and deals with everything in its path. Unfortunately,
it is too wide to go in between rows just for weeding, although there
are settings which would do that.

Judith
Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

So I suggest avoiding one of those things like the plague! They look
nice but are totally impractical.

I have had mine for two years, used it a lot and it has always worked
perfectly. It sounds to me like you used yours where you should have
been using one of the heavy duty, expensive jobs. Judith enquired
about something to use in place of hoeing. It is important to choose
the right tool for the right job, I'm sure you would agree - you
cannot complain that a Mini can't do the same job as a 4WD.

Yes I do want a light one just for hoeing. I Googled on Lidl but I
can't find anything at all about one; do you have any info about any
selling in the UK, I could get my daughter to purchase it for me and
pick it up when I am in the UK later this month.

Judith
Old 08-06-2009, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
So I suggest avoiding one of those things like the plague! They look
nice but are totally impractical.

I have had mine for two years, used it a lot and it has always worked
perfectly. It sounds to me like you used yours where you should have
been using one of the heavy duty, expensive jobs. Judith enquired
about something to use in place of hoeing. It is important to choose
the right tool for the right job, I'm sure you would agree - you
cannot complain that a Mini can't do the same job as a 4WD.

I only got mine for light hoeing between rows. I've got a big petrol
cultivator for all the heavy work. The lightweight electric hoeing one I
bought was frankly not fit for use on any garden. The problem was the
design as I mentioned. There are very few gardens where you won't dig up
the occasional little one inch rock or bit of baked soil - and they
simply destroy the machine.

For yours to be so successful it must have some internal clutch
mechanism. Either that or you garden on pure sand.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 8, 10:42*am, Judith in France
wrote:

Yes I do want a light one just for hoeing. *I Googled on Lidl but I
can't find anything at all about one; do you have any info about any
selling in the UK, I could get my daughter to purchase it for me and
pick it up when I am in the UK later this month.

I despair of these companies that have web sites and put no
information on them!

The Lidl site, as you say, is useless. I suspect that the cultivator
is a "special" only. The model is Florabest FGH 600. Try Florabest's
web site and you will get equal frustration. (Not the sort of German
efficiency we have come to expect) it is not even listed!

There are two other models that came up while googling - the Mowerland
and the Mantis. The latter looks good, but it is five times the price
of the Florabest.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Yes I do want a light one just for hoeing. *I Googled on Lidl but I
can't find anything at all about one; do you have any info about any
selling in the UK, I could get my daughter to purchase it for me and
pick it up when I am in the UK later this month.

I despair of these companies that have web sites and put no
information on them!

The Lidl site, as you say, is useless. I suspect that the cultivator
is a "special" only. The model is Florabest FGH 600. Try Florabest's
web site and you will get equal frustration. (Not the sort of German
efficiency we have come to expect) it is not even listed!

There are two other models that came up while googling - the Mowerland
and the Mantis. The latter looks good, but it is five times the price
of the Florabest.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

The Mantis tiller cultivator is excellent.The basic machine (2-stroke
or 4-stroke)costs between £300 and £400,but is worth it if you are a
keen gardener.I have had one for 5 years or so,and there are several
on our allotment site.It is very light and transportable and is a
pleasure to use,much better than the heavy cultivators that wer around
some years ago.
Michael
Old 08-06-2009, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Yes I do want a light one just for hoeing. *I Googled on Lidl but I
can't find anything at all about one; do you have any info about any
selling in the UK, I could get my daughter to purchase it for me and
pick it up when I am in the UK later this month.

I despair of these companies that have web sites and put no
information on them!

The Lidl site, as you say, is useless. I suspect that the cultivator
is a "special" only. The model is Florabest FGH 600. Try Florabest's
web site and you will get equal frustration. (Not the sort of German
efficiency we have come to expect) it is not even listed!

There are two other models that came up while googling - the Mowerland
and the Mantis. The latter looks good, but it is five times the price
of the Florabest.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

You've been of enormous help, thank you.

Judith