Old 08-06-2009, 01:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Name a rose

Hello

I wonder if it is possible to name a rose after my wife? What I am looking
for is one that I can name that will go out to numerous garden centre's etc
and become a "known" variety. I was diagnosed with terminal cancer last
August and wanted to do this before I go, Can anyone here help me, or is
there something similar I can do before too long?

Thank Simon

Old 08-06-2009, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-08 01:03:00 +0100, "Simon" said:

Hello

I wonder if it is possible to name a rose after my wife? What I am
looking for is one that I can name that will go out to numerous garden
centre's etc and become a "known" variety. I was diagnosed with
terminal cancer last August and wanted to do this before I go, Can
anyone here help me, or is there something similar I can do before too
long?

Thank Simon

There is an organisation called www.Name-a-Rose.com but as to the rose
then becoming a commercial proposition, I don't know. It would be
better for you to contact one of the big rose growers like David Austin
and Beale's and ask their opinion. AFAIK, it costs a LOT of money to
get a commercially viable rose named after someone because it involves
a type of patent and a variety of garden-worthy tests etc. but they
could give you more information.
I'm sorry to hear of your illness and greatly admire your fortitude.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Old 08-06-2009, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 8, 1:03*am, "Simon" wrote:
Hello

I wonder if it is possible to name a rose after my wife? What I am looking
for is one that I can name that will go out to numerous garden centre's etc
and become a "known" variety. I was diagnosed with terminal cancer last
August and wanted to do this before I go, Can anyone here help me, or is
there something similar I can do before too long?

Thank Simon

Simon, I can't help but I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

Judith
Old 08-06-2009, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
com says...
Hello

I wonder if it is possible to name a rose after my wife? What I am looking
for is one that I can name that will go out to numerous garden centre's etc
and become a "known" variety. I was diagnosed with terminal cancer last
August and wanted to do this before I go, Can anyone here help me, or is
there something similar I can do before too long?

Thank Simon

Simon, naming a rose is easy and cheap, but having a successful variety
is much more difficult, David Austin's strike rate is 1 in 10,000
seedlings. So you have 2 options, if you sow seed you can register the
rose name you want for your selected seedling (assuming it does not
already exist) fill in the forms, you will need to have grown the rose
long enough to be able to describe the plant and flowers and also you
will have had to propagate it so there are at least 3 plants of it in
existence.

The other option would be to approach David Austen (or another rose
grower) and see if they would allow the naming of one of their new
hopefuls, given the circumstances you may be successful.
Good luck its a lovely idea
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 08-06-2009, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Simon" wrote in message
Hello

I wonder if it is possible to name a rose after my wife? What I am looking
for is one that I can name that will go out to numerous garden centre's
etc and become a "known" variety. I was diagnosed with terminal cancer
last August and wanted to do this before I go, Can anyone here help me, or
is there something similar I can do before too long?

Thank Simon

Thank you everyone for your help and kind words. I will contact David Austin
and see if he can help. I wanted the name Georgina Joy for the rose, not my
nick name for her which is lettuce as she is always in the garden. I think
Georgina Joy may sound better.

Thanks again for all the help xx

Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Simon wrote:
"Simon" wrote in message
Hello

I wonder if it is possible to name a rose after my wife? What I am
looking for is one that I can name that will go out to numerous
garden centre's etc and become a "known" variety. I was diagnosed
with terminal cancer last August and wanted to do this before I go,
Can anyone here help me, or is there something similar I can do
before too long? Thank Simon

Thank you everyone for your help and kind words. I will contact David
Austin and see if he can help. I wanted the name Georgina Joy for the
rose, not my nick name for her which is lettuce as she is always in
the garden. I think Georgina Joy may sound better.

Such a pretty name I bet she loves 'lettuce' though