Old 08-06-2009, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any Fruit Experts?

Hi all

I have had a problem with a blackcurrant bush and wanted to check it out
with you.

The bush in question grew 3 or 4 stems which all went up vertically (rather
than spreading to a bush form).
Leaves formed, but all the stems and leaves kind of clumped together. Then
the leaves kind of screwed themselves up.
To avoid transfer of disease, I cut this bush down to ground level to see if
it would return.

I have 2 other blackcurrant bushes and 3 redcurrants. The 2 blackcurrant
bushes have had some leaves turn yellow and drop.
Some of the younger leaf tips are showing signs of screwing up. The
redcurrant bushes appear unaffected.

Questions:

What has caused the demise of the first tree?
Should I be removing all bushes to eliminate disease, or is there a spray to
resolve this?
I have first-season apple and plumb trees in touching distance of the
blackcurrant bushes - can these be affected?

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

Old 08-06-2009, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
[...]

I think if you look inside the clumped together bit you will find either
caterpillars or aphids either are easy enough to treat but chose an
insecticide for edible plants
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 08-06-2009, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

snip................

Questions:

What has caused the demise of the first tree?
Should I be removing all bushes to eliminate disease, or is there a spray
resolve this?
I have first-season apple and plumb trees in touching distance of the
blackcurrant bushes - can these be affected?

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

I think if you look inside the clumped together bit you will find either
caterpillars or aphids either are easy enough to treat but chose an
insecticide for edible plants
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall

Thanks Charlie

Does the presence of caterpillars/aphids account for yellowing and dropping
leaves?

Phil

Old 09-06-2009, 01:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

TheScullster wrote:

Does the presence of caterpillars/aphids account for yellowing and dropping
leaves?

Having spent over two hours picking diseased leaves off my blackcurrant
bushes (I have a few), this interests me. I believe they are two
unrelated issues.

I have an ongoing situation with the premature yellowing and dropping of
leaves. It began with hazel bushes a couple of years ago but seems now
to have spread somewhat promiscuously to a range of woody plants. I'm
seeing it this year on elder, blackcurrant, briar rose, silver birch, an
ornamental cherry plus the original hazels. So the first thing I'd say
is to look around your neighbourhood to see if you can see it anywhere
else. If it's the same thing I've got it's quite noticeable as the
yellowing leaves also go brown and dessicated at the edges.

In the case of the hazels and the silver birches, whatever it is
eventually kills the plant over two or three years. There is die-back
along the twigs, progressively fewer leaves, and those which do come out
hang rather listlessly. I don't yet know if other species are as
susceptible. Because of the very humid conditions last summer, and
because whatever it is on the hazels spread to adjacent shrubs such as
hawthorne and field maple, I thought it was some kind of fungal disease.
Now I'm not so sure and think it might be bacterial/viral. This matters
because there are preventative treatments available for fungal problems,
such as Dithane, but not for the others.

What I've also noticed about this is that the first growth of leaves,
those that break out of the winter buds, are mostly unaffected but new
leaves following are nearly all affected, so most of the yellowing and
dropping leaves are small, not fully formed. Is this what you're seeing
on your plants?

As to surrounding trees or shrubs becoming affected, it seems to depend
on the species. I have apples and plums and it hasn't so far migrated to
them, but watch this space. I'm about to send some leaf samples to a lab
for a report and if you think what I'm describing fits what you're
seeing I'll post the results here. Whether they'll be useful is another
matter. By the way, I wonder where in the country you are? I'm in S W
Wales. I have seen the same symptoms in hazels in the surrounding
hedgerows, so it not just me --unless I was the source of the outbreak!

brian mitchell
Old 09-06-2009, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"brian mitchell" wrote

[...]

Hi Brian

Thanks for the comprehensive response.
The yellowing leaves I am seeing are more mature and formed leaves, but they
are also developing a brown fringe before dropping.
I can't help thinking that the fruit size and yield are down.
But I discovered that the majority of new shoots and leaf clusters are being
attacked by aphids - will this cause the yellowing leaves?
Went round last night with the fairy liquid spray and doused them all
thoroughly.
I only have 3 blackcurrant bushes, but a couple of redcurrants also seem to
be affected (more by the shrivelled leaves due to aphids than the yellowing
leaves).
http://www.eewinerycoop.com/docs/blackcurrants.pdf gives details of pests
and symptoms, though I expect you've done the google bit to death already.
I am just hoping that the cause isn't reversion, as this means discarding
bushes and starting again.
As the blackcurrant bushes are almost touching apple and plum trees (small
garden - needs must) it will be bad news if the problem does spread.
I am in east yorkshire (3 miles from the Humber Bridge) - elevated location,
clay soil with some chalk.
If you could email me next time you post any further info from your tests it
would be appreciated (pscull at europacrown dottcomm) - I am an occasional
URGLER only.

Phil