Old 08-06-2009, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My poor Wisteria :-(

Hello All , i have a Wisteria that is growing on a pergola it has been there
for 5 years , it faces west and is established and flowering size .
After the hot weather we had end of May it suddenly looked like it wilted
,every leaf.So i gave it a good soaking but it hasn`t picked up and the
leafs are starting to dry up .
I have a Wisteria standard in a oak barrel which is only about 3m away which
is totally fine .
Any ideas folks ,i live in Nottingham ,UK

Regards Keith

Old 08-06-2009, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 keith kent wrote:
Hello All , i have a Wisteria that is growing on a pergola it has been there
for 5 years , it faces west and is established and flowering size .
After the hot weather we had end of May it suddenly looked like it wilted
,every leaf.So i gave it a good soaking but it hasn`t picked up and the
leafs are starting to dry up .
I have a Wisteria standard in a oak barrel which is only about 3m away which
is totally fine .
Any ideas folks ,i live in Nottingham ,UK

Not as such. But I have a wisteria (grown from seed actually so it has
never flowered but I'm eternal optimist!) whose buds started swelling in
spring but never burst into leaf. A week or two ago I noticed it
throwing out shoots from the main stem. I don't think that it was frost
that got it.

I had another one against a wall of a stone house. A couple of years ago
we had the wall repointed during the winter and the builders carefully
laid the wisteria on the ground while they did the work and then put it
back. It died.

So what I am saying is that I have found wisteria to be very touchy
about how they are treated. Maybe, if you leave yours long enough, it
will shoot out again.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 08-06-2009, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, David Rance wrote
[...]

Would you like ours? It grew all over our west-facing front door,
filled all the gutters but never flowered, so we cut it down - this was
three years ago - and planted a rose instead. The rose is fine, but the
pesky wisteria pops up all over the place and is proving impossible to
discourage. We don't want to poison it as there are so many other plants
in the bed, but it really is a nuisance, and simply won't die. I
wouldn't mind so much if it had flowered once or twice, but it never
produced anything other than wavy and invasive foliage. The roots must
still be all under the flowerbed and paving.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 09-06-2009, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kate Brown wrote:
[...]

Cut down the stem/trunk(s) to a few cm above soil level. Drill out holes
from the top down in each trunk and pour in stump killer. It will take some
time to work, but should do the job eventually.

--
Jeff

Old 09-06-2009, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

keith kent wrote:
Hello All , i have a Wisteria that is growing on a pergola it has been
there for 5 years , it faces west and is established and flowering size .
After the hot weather we had end of May it suddenly looked like it wilted
,every leaf.So i gave it a good soaking but it hasn`t picked up and the
leafs are starting to dry up .
I have a Wisteria standard in a oak barrel which is only about 3m away
which is totally fine .
Any ideas folks ,i live in Nottingham ,UK

Regards Keith

About 5 years ago my wisteria started flowering and then the flowers stopped
opening. Ditto the leaves. It got worse and worse and eventually I dug
down to find the main stem had rotted just below soil level (maybe graft
failure, but maybe not). For the next couple of years it threw up suckers
and the leaves opened and then shrivelled. Last year the leaves stayed
open. This year it has grown again like mad, and had a few flowers. I am
unsure as to whether or not these are the same as the original ("Amethyst").
It has continued to grow and has multiple stems extending to nearly 10
metres. Next year, when it flowers I will compare it with an Amethyst in
flower in a garden centre.

I still have no diea what caused the problem and how or why the wisteria got
over it.

--
Jeff

Old 09-06-2009, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Hello All , i have a Wisteria that is growing on a pergola it has been there
for 5 years , it faces west and is established and flowering size .
After the hot weather we had end of May it suddenly looked like it wilted
,every leaf.So i gave it a good soaking but it hasn`t picked up and the
leafs are starting to dry up .
I have a Wisteria standard in a oak barrel which is only about 3m away which
is totally fine .
Any ideas folks ,i live in Nottingham ,UK

Regards Keith

Its strange, I have had loads of similar questions here at the nursery
including some Wisteria plants not far from me, (mine is fine) and the
range of ages of the effected plants suggests it is not an establishment
issue, my next thought was water logging last year damaging roots but
Wisteria grow next to swamps and like water so it seems unlikely, then of
course there was the cold but Wisteria are normally fully hardy as plants
(we plant them on walls to protect the flower buds) but it may be the
lack of sun last year failed to ripen the wood, but that would not
explain why older plants with large trunks have gone so I am very worried
it may have something to do with the current outbreak of Phytophora
ramora (spell?) if it is there is nothing you can do
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 09-06-2009, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , lid
says...
keith kent wrote:
[...]

Its good to hear there may be hope for these plants, I will tell people
to give it time!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
[...]

It is strange , this year it didn`t get frosted in leaf so can rule that out
,it looks like it has been completely sprayed with weed killer ,but is the
only plant in my garden effected.The wood is still green so there is hope it
may come back to life .
Regards Keith

Wisteria Poor flowering (Luxuriant) Mac Lynch Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
[IBC] wisteria luc tran Bonsai 2 23-03-2003 05:20 PM
Wisteria Question Lilly Gardening 10 19-02-2003 03:27 AM
Wisteria! Cereoid+10 Gardening 0 23-01-2003 07:28 PM
Wisteria!! GrampysGurl Gardening 1 23-01-2003 06:09 PM