Old 09-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Registered User

Default Philadelphus not flowering

Hi all,

For the third year running, my 2 Philadelphus shrubs have almost no flowers on them. They are the 'Virginal' variety. One is in full sun and the other is slightly shaded. The one in full sun is around 7-8ft high and the other is about 5ft. We have clay soil and is rather moist most of the time. I haven't given them any feed in the past so I wonder if I should and what type should I give them? I took a cutting last year which is now about 18inches high and I put this in the ground in April in a slightly drier place but it doesn't have any flowers either, surprise, surprise.

I grew this plant in another house and I had masses of flowers. Never gave it any feed.

What can the problem be and solution please?
Old 09-06-2009, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

--
Lintama

I wonder if it's due to Bull finches taking the buds off?
I havw this problem with a few spring flowering shrubs that they
decimate every year.
David Hill
Old 09-06-2009, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 04:58:51 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On 9 June, 08:48, Lintama wrote:
[...]

Have you pruned it? I pruned mine a bit late a few years ago, and had
no flowers the following year.

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-06-2009, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lintama" wrote in message

Hi all,

For the third year running, my 2 Philadelphus shrubs have almost no
flowers on them. They are the 'Virginal' variety. One is in full sun
and the other is slightly shaded. The one in full sun is around 7-8ft
high and the other is about 5ft. We have clay soil and is rather moist
most of the time. I haven't given them any feed in the past so I wonder
if I should and what type should I give them? I took a cutting last
year which is now about 18inches high and I put this in the ground in
April in a slightly drier place but it doesn't have any flowers either,
surprise, surprise.

I grew this plant in another house and I had masses of flowers. Never
gave it any feed.

What can the problem be and solution please?

Philadelpus flowers on old wood. If you pruned it each year for the last 3,
that's the problem.
Your new one will need to get established.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Registered User

Hi and thank you both for your suggestions.

Yes, I pruned the old wood back as per instructions in my RHS book and that was done in the Spring.

As for bull finches. I do have a bird feeder very near the shrubs which has nuts in and I do get a lot of finches but sorry to say I don't know what a bull finch looks like. We have all the other type of finches though. I didn't know they would go for ther buds of the P. shrub. Will try moving the feeder.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 23:57:38 +0100, Lintama
wrote:

Hi and thank you both for your suggestions.

Yes, I pruned the old wood back as per instructions in my RHS book and
that was done in the Spring.

As for bull finches. I do have a bird feeder very near the shrubs which
has nuts in and I do get a lot of finches but sorry to say I don't know
what a bull finch looks like. We have all the other type of finches
though. I didn't know they would go for ther buds of the P. shrub. Will
try moving the feeder.

If you pruned it in Spring, that is the problem. Did the RHS tell you
to do it then? Prune after flowering.

Pam in Bristol
Old 10-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Registered User

Yes, this is probably the reason why there are so few flowers. I can only see one branch with flower buds on. I knew to cut back the old growth but I may have taken a few of the new branches as well.
Will cut back at the end of July as suggested. After that I will leave the shrubs to get on with it.

Thank you all for your help