GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID Please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/184621-plant-id-please.html)

Jeanne Stockdale 09-06-2009 11:03 PM

Plant ID Please

Unfortunately I've no pic at the moment but hope my description will enable
someone to ID it.

There is a large fan of spiky bluey green leaves (similar to iris) together
with a central stem which is now some 6' high. The stem has opened out into
some 10 sections alternately left and right of the stem. I do recall an
orange flower on it last year - but it certainly didn't reach the height it
is at now - and that was the first time it had flowered since we moved here
in 2001.

I did wonder if it could be a strelitzia or heliconia but the leaves seem
wrong - according to my research if it was one of these, then it would have
"banana plant" leaves - which this certainly doesn't.

Hope someone can help.

Jeanne

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 10-06-2009 12:33 PM

Plant ID Please

In article ,
says...
Unfortunately I've no pic at the moment but hope my description will enable
someone to ID it.

There is a large fan of spiky bluey green leaves (similar to iris) together
with a central stem which is now some 6' high. The stem has opened out into
some 10 sections alternately left and right of the stem. I do recall an
orange flower on it last year - but it certainly didn't reach the height it
is at now - and that was the first time it had flowered since we moved here
in 2001.

I did wonder if it could be a strelitzia or heliconia but the leaves seem
wrong - according to my research if it was one of these, then it would have
"banana plant" leaves - which this certainly doesn't.

Hope someone can help.

Jeanne

Wachendorfia thyrsiflora? or Watsonia?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

lannerman 11-06-2009 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham[_2_] (Post 850299)
In article ,
says...
[...]

Hi Jeanne, If the leaves are also quite tall, try looking up Phormium tenax known as The New Zealand Flax
best wishes Lannerman.