Old 09-06-2009, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Horse Manure

I am going tomorrow to pick up some 2 year old manure.

Is it best to leave it longer than this, or can it be put down now. I am in
no hurry to get it down obviously but wonder if it will be better with a
little more age, like a fine wine lol.

The lady told me there is some old stuff, 2 years, and some new stuff. I am
taking rubble bags and someone told me once not to leave the tops open on
the bags when storing them as the rain washes all the goodness away.

Thanks Simon

Old 10-06-2009, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-09 23:51:54 +0100, "Simon" said:

I am going tomorrow to pick up some 2 year old manure.

Is it best to leave it longer than this, or can it be put down now. I
am in no hurry to get it down obviously but wonder if it will be better
with a little more age, like a fine wine lol.

The lady told me there is some old stuff, 2 years, and some new stuff.
I am taking rubble bags and someone told me once not to leave the tops
open on the bags when storing them as the rain washes all the goodness
away.

Thanks Simon

A lot of people buy/sell manure that's been lying around in a heap open
to all weathers. But I think you should check that the animals it
comes from haven't been grazing on fields treated with the weed killer
that wrecked so many garden and allotment crops last year. I can't
remember its name but someone here will. It caused quite a lot of
problems so I think you'd be wise to check on that.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Old 10-06-2009, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-06-09 23:51:54 +0100, "Simon" said:

[...]

aminopyralid
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 10-06-2009, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

If you are into organic gardening check out what medicines the horses have
been taking.
I put the manure on top the ground later in the year, I don't bother to dig
it in it just takes care of itself. I don't think there is a right or wrong
way just do what suits you and your circumstances :-)

kate

Old 10-06-2009, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 9, 11:51*pm, "Simon" wrote:
I am going tomorrow to pick up some 2 year old manure.

This reminds me of an incident many years ago when I was telling a
friend of mine that I had the opportunity to obtain some 3 year old
horse manure, so I would be unable to carry out an activity we had
planned, as I wanted to get it before it all went. Her mother (a very
sophisticated lady) standing nearby interupted and asked in all
seriousness, "Excuse me, what difference does it make that the horse
is three years old?"

Old 10-06-2009, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 9, 11:51*pm, "Simon" wrote:
I am going tomorrow to pick up some 2 year old manure.

Is it best to leave it longer than this, or can it be put down now. I am in
no hurry to get it down obviously but wonder if it will be better with a
little more age, like a fine wine lol.

The lady told me there is some old stuff, 2 years, and some new stuff. I am
taking rubble bags and someone told me once not to leave the tops open on
the bags when storing them as the rain washes all the goodness away.

Thanks Simon

Simon, I get manure from my farmer neighbour, he ensures that any
animal being treated with drugs is excluded from the manure heap.

Judith
Old 10-06-2009, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-10 08:50:50 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-06-09 23:51:54 +0100, "Simon" said:

[...]

Thank you, Stewart. I think I should probably tell Simon that it
didn't harm the animals it passed through, so might still be in use for
dairy farming only.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
Simon, I get manure from my farmer neighbour, he ensures that any
animal being treated with drugs is excluded from the manure heap.

Judith

That is lucky finding an organic farmer, are there many in France?

kate
Old 10-06-2009, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-06-10 08:50:50 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-06-09 23:51:54 +0100, "Simon"
said:

[...]

Aminopyralid was removed from the market, pending finding a method to
prevent farmers ignoring the instructions that manure from animals fed
on treated pastures should not be used on susceptible crops. As far as I
know that removal has not been rescinded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aminopyralid

However, there remains the risk of farmers using old stocks of the
herbicide.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 10-06-2009, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 10, 1:24*pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
snip
Simon, I get manure from my farmer neighbour, he ensures that any
animal being treated with drugs is excluded from the manure heap.

Judith

That is lucky finding an organic farmer, are there many in France?

kate

I don't know Kate. My neighbour is very responsible, when one of his
cows is being treated with anti-biotics, he throws the milk away.

Judith

Old 10-06-2009, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 10, 11:43*am, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 03:38:54 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jun 9, 11:51*pm, "Simon" wrote:
I am going tomorrow to pick up some 2 year old manure.

Is it best to leave it longer than this, or can it be put down now. I am in
no hurry to get it down obviously but wonder if it will be better with a
little more age, like a fine wine lol.

The lady told me there is some old stuff, 2 years, and some new stuff. I am
taking rubble bags and someone told me once not to leave the tops open on
the bags when storing them as the rain washes all the goodness away.

Thanks Simon

Simon, I get manure from my farmer neighbour, he ensures that any
animal being treated with drugs is excluded from the manure heap.

and the manure too? )
--

Martin

LOL. Sacha, sort him out!!!! :-)

Judith
Old 10-06-2009, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-10 14:19:07 +0100, Judith in France

wrote:
On Jun 9, 11:51*pm, "Simon" wrote:
[...]

I know a hopeless case when I see one. ;-) I imagine some drugs given
to animals are mandatory, so it must surely mean that the
powers-that-be in the organic world permit their use?

Old 10-06-2009, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-10 14:18:11 +0100, Judith in France

http://www.organic-europe.net/countr...ce/default.asp

Old 10-06-2009, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-10 14:19:07 +0100, Judith in France

wrote:
On Jun 9, 11:51*pm, "Simon" wrote:
[...]

I really have no idea; my knowledge of farming is pretty slight. Now
I have to run Lottie and get ready to go out to dinner at Royat
tonight, great restaurant, I will tell all in an email, tomorrow.

Judith
Old 10-06-2009, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-10 14:18:11 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On Jun 10, 1:24*pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
snip
Simon, I get manure from my farmer neighbour, he ensures that any
animal being treated with drugs is excluded from the manure heap.

Judith

That is lucky finding an organic farmer, are there many in France?

kate

I don't know Kate. *My neighbour is very responsible, when one of his
cows is being treated with anti-biotics, he throws the milk away.

Judith

http://www.organic-europe.net/countr...ce/default.asp
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Thanks Sacha, when I get a moment tomorrow I will peruse this.

Judith