Old 10-06-2009, 10:35 AM posted to rec.woodworking,uk.rec.gardening

Default Protective finish for bamboo water pipe.

We want to make a water feature in the garden.... a traditional japanese
bamboo water spout type thing.

The bamboo we have is about 6.5 cm in diameter and has one end bevelled
which will be the water spout.

Some of the thin outer bark of the bamboo is splitting away from the end,
although it still remains attached. What would be the best thing to glue it
back down into place?

Also what would be the best varnish or treatment to give the bamboo which
would stand up to the rainy U.K. climate, to prevent it all turning a
mouldy black colour? Thanks

Old 10-06-2009, 02:08 PM posted to rec.woodworking,uk.rec.gardening

"john royce" wrote in message
We want to make a water feature in the garden.... a traditional japanese
bamboo water spout type thing.

The bamboo we have is about 6.5 cm in diameter and has one end bevelled
which will be the water spout.

Some of the thin outer bark of the bamboo is splitting away from the end,
although it still remains attached. What would be the best thing to glue
it back down into place?

It is a natural material that naturally deterriorates after it dies. You
could super glue the problem area but most likely this will be an on going
maintainance.

Also what would be the best varnish or treatment to give the bamboo which
would stand up to the rainy U.K. climate, to prevent it all turning a
mouldy black colour? Thanks

It is likely that no vinish will stand up for more than a few years although
a Spar varnish would probably hold up the best. The damage is going to come
from the sun light more so than from the damp or wet weather. Expect to
reapply the finish every 2-4 years.
I would suggest a "fake" bamboo. Ohhhhh!

Old 10-06-2009, 03:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking,uk.rec.gardening

On 10 June, 10:35, "john royce" wrote:
We want to make a water feature in the garden.... a traditional japanese
bamboo water spout type thing.

The bamboo we have is about 6.5 cm in diameter and has one end bevelled
which will be the water spout.

Some of the thin outer bark of the bamboo is splitting away from the end,
although it still remains attached. *What would be the best thing to glue it
back down into place?

The Japanese use wabi sabi

*Also what would be the best varnish or treatment to give the bamboo which
would stand up to the rainy U.K. climate, *

Not much. Live with it. Bamboos about as tough as you'll get garden-
wise. Epoxy and embedded copper pipe if you must.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:35:37 +0100, "john royce"
wrote:

Also what would be the best varnish or treatment to give the bamboo which
would stand up to the rainy U.K. climate, to prevent it all turning a
mouldy black colour?

I gave away a bamboo garden chair last year. It had been in my garden,
come rain or shine, for at least 20 years. It had never had any
treatment.

Steve

Old 11-06-2009, 06:48 PM posted to rec.woodworking,uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 10, 10:52*am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 10 June, 10:35, "john royce" wrote:

Some of the thin outer bark of the bamboo is splitting away from the end,
although it still remains attached. *What would be the best thing to glue it
back down into place?

The Japanese use wabi sabi

At first I read that as wasabi.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM posted to rec.woodworking,uk.rec.gardening

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jun 10, 10:52 am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 10 June, 10:35, "john royce" wrote:

Some of the thin outer bark of the bamboo is splitting away from the
end,
although it still remains attached. What would be the best thing to glue
it
back down into place?

The Japanese use wabi sabi

At first I read that as wasabi.

that would probably work too....

Old 12-06-2009, 04:22 AM posted to rec.woodworking,uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 10, 5:35*am, "john royce" wrote:
We want to make a water feature in the garden.... a traditional japanese
bamboo water spout type thing.

The bamboo we have is about 6.5 cm in diameter and has one end bevelled
which will be the water spout.

Some of the thin outer bark of the bamboo is splitting away from the end,
although it still remains attached. *What would be the best thing to glue it
back down into place?

*Also what would be the best varnish or treatment to give the bamboo which
would stand up to the rainy U.K. climate, *to prevent it all turning a
mouldy black colour? * *Thanks

Spray painting it with black lacquer might make it look
nice. It's going to turn black, so go with it.