Old 11-06-2009, 10:16 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default barbeque cast iron grill

Normally cast iron grills are porcelain coated (but not always).

No, they are not.

Try a google search for Outback porcelain grill

Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:
Andrew May wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
john royce wrote:
The grill that sits on top of my little barbeque is cast iron. The
surfaces on the grill it are not very smooth, so its really difficult
to clean off the burnt on residue.

A stainless steel grill I also have (but dont use much, because it does
not sit well on the barbeque) is easy to clean, because I can soak it
in a water tank for a week or two after use so the burnt will always
scrape off easily. If I soaked the cast iron one like that I think it
would quickly turn to
rust. So would anyone have any experience of easily cleaning a rough
surfaced cast iron grill after use? Thanks.
We have one similar. Cleans well on a hot BBQ... Failing that a wire
brush taken to it works OK too.

If you're not up to that, what about one of those oven-tray cleaning
bags and some caustic soda?

Gordon

Mine (albeit stainless steel) came up well with the application of a
pressure washer.

Andrew

What make is yours? I have been looking for a gas BBQ with SS grill for
some time, but have never seen one for sale in the UK at a reasonable price
(all cast iron/ porcelain coat/ chrome plated).

Probably cheaper to make an SS grill to fit!

It's made by a firm called Hotspot, who iirc are based somewhere in
Somerset. But it's not gas. It a conventional charcoal BBQ with a spun
steel (or is it aluminium) pit and tripod legs. Doubles as a fire pit in
the evening after the BBQ has finished.

Andrew
Old 11-06-2009, 11:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Archie wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
chunkyoldcortina wrote:

Normally cast iron grills are porcelain coated (but not always).

No.

Yes- My Outback grill is.

You don't appear to understand the word "normally" or the word
"porcelain". The overwhelming majority of cast iron grills for barbecue
use are not vitrified enamel, porcelain isn't used at all

It is supposed to be heatproof but I have managed
to overheat the grills and cause the porcelain to melt.

That would be impressive, were you using MAPP gas instead of propane?
Old 11-06-2009, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:21:18 +0100, "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

Andrew May wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
john royce wrote:
[...]

Weber BBQs have stainless steel grills.

I did state "reasonable price". Only the top-of-the-range Webers have
stainless steel grills, and they start at around £900! All the rest have
porcelain/enamel/cast iron grills.

--
Jeff

Old 11-06-2009, 02:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Yes- My Outback grill is.

You don't appear to understand the word "normally" or the word
"porcelain". The overwhelming majority of cast iron grills for barbecue
use are not vitrified enamel, porcelain isn't used at all

Did you try googling for porcelain coated grill?

This site list several. Maybe they don't understand the word "porcelain".

http://www.weber-barbecue-uk.co.uk/a...ue-Spares.html

It is supposed to be heatproof but I have managed
to overheat the grills and cause the porcelain to melt.

That would be impressive, were you using MAPP gas instead of propane?

I use charcoal.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:01:01 +0100, "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

Martin wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:21:18 +0100, "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

Andrew May wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
john royce wrote:
[...]

At £900 you get an all stainless steel BBQ

All the rest have
porcelain/enamel/cast iron grills.

I have owned Weber BBQs for more than 20 years.
I have never paid more than £70 for a Weber BBQ all had stainless steel
grills.

Are you referring to charcoal BBQs? I had a look through
www.weberbbq.co.uk, and although their charcoal BBQs have SS grills, the gas
ones don't (why not?!) unless they cost a few bob. What model numbers
were/are yours?

--
Jeff

Old 11-06-2009, 03:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Archie wrote:
You don't appear to understand the word "normally" or the word
"porcelain". The overwhelming majority of cast iron grills for barbecue
use are not vitrified enamel, porcelain isn't used at all

Did you try googling for porcelain coated grill?

This site list several. Maybe they don't understand the word "porcelain".

Probably not as it's a type of clay. But of course many just think of the
glazed finish it commonly has in practice. And that glaze is very similar
to vitreous enamel, both being basically glass.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Probably not as it's a type of clay. But of course many just think of the
glazed finish it commonly has in practice. And that glaze is very similar
to vitreous enamel, both being basically glass.

Getting back to the OP, I generally clean the grill by getting it bleedin
hot over the charcoal and burning off any food residue. Any bugs that
survive deserve to live.

Whatever the material used by Outback for their grills, they describe the
grill as porcelain coated as do other manufactures. They also described it
as heatproof which is obviously relative to typical BBQ temperatures. There
is little doubt that the damage to the grill is caused by exessive heat from
the charcoal. The damage is a bubbling of the coating which changes from a
smooth surface to something like that of cast iron. I use a chimney starter
to light the charcoal and it gets very hot, presumably hotter than the
temperature required to melt the porelain /enamel coating.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Archie wrote:

Yes- My Outback grill is.

You don't appear to understand the word "normally" or the word
"porcelain". The overwhelming majority of cast iron grills for barbecue
use are not vitrified enamel, porcelain isn't used at all

Did you try googling for porcelain coated grill?

No, why would I?

This site list several. Maybe they don't understand the word "porcelain".

Most likely. Marketing men talk shit.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 11, 9:16*am, "Archie" wrote:
Normally cast iron grills are porcelain coated (but not always).

No, they are not.

Try *a google search for Outback porcelain grill

Try a dictionary search for the word "normally".

MBQ

Cast Iron plant - Cheap seller recommendation? M_Twain Texas 2 22-09-2004 10:07 PM
cast iron plant Sammy' Gardening 3 10-01-2004 01:02 PM
cast iron plant Sammy' Gardening 0 09-01-2004 09:41 PM
Cast Iron Tecumseh 10 HP HH100 Magneto Rick Warner Lawns 2 21-12-2003 04:05 PM
Cast iron lawn roller Baz United Kingdom 2 30-09-2002 09:53 AM