Old 10-06-2009, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A plea

I haven't been here very long, but I like this group - when it talks
about gardening. I've learnt a huge amount and I respect all of those
who engage with the gardening problems. But there's an awful lot of
sniping going on, particularly lately, and clearly this has history that
I'm ignorant of. But please, please, PLEASE can we agree to ignore the
snipes? Not necessarily the snipers - some of whom have useful things
to say occasionally, and I don't like kill-filing anyone - but those
snide one-liners that don't contribute anything except a sour note. If
we all just agreed to ignore them, perhaps they would stop? These
remarks don't have anything to do with gardening, and just take up
brainspace and bandwidth that would be much better employed working out
how to outwit garden pests, as opposed to usenet pests.

Apologies for rant. It's just getting a bit much lately.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally

Old 10-06-2009, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Rant and apologies accepted :~). You're right, this is usually a friendly
and informative group which is much valued by many, myself included, and I
understand just what you mean. We'll all have to try a bit harder.
Gardening is too happy a pursuit to spoil it by arguing over the garden
fence.

Spider

Old 10-06-2009, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Spider" wrote in message

"Kate Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Aggression has always been rife on this newsgroup.

Mike

Old 10-06-2009, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 10, 11:21*am, Kate Brown wrote:
[...]

Most of us don't make snide comments Kate and also we don't retaliate
much either. Every now and again, someone goes too far and they get a
reply to behave but generally urglers are nice, good people. I will
not retort to any snide comments to me; so rest easy.

Judith

Old 10-06-2009, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kate Brown wrote:
snippy
Rant understood.
urg isn't all that bad actually. Some sniping based on long standing enmity.
Just ignore. Beleive me, some other groups are like battlefields in hell
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 10-06-2009, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete C
writes

Kate Brown wrote:
snippy
Rant understood.
urg isn't all that bad actually. Some sniping based on long standing enmity.
Just ignore. Beleive me, some other groups are like battlefields in hell

I naively subscribed to an air safety newsgroup a few years ago.
It was full of airline pilots and amateur flyers competing to throw each
other the most obscene insults!
urg seems like a peaceful oasis.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 10-06-2009, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Pete C
writes

Kate Brown wrote:
snippy
Rant understood.
urg isn't all that bad actually. Some sniping based on long standing
enmity.
Just ignore. Beleive me, some other groups are like battlefields in hell

I naively subscribed to an air safety newsgroup a few years ago.
It was full of airline pilots and amateur flyers competing to throw each
other the most obscene insults!
urg seems like a peaceful oasis.

I once inadvertantly offended a commercial pilot acquaintance - on hearing
his description of his flights for that week (five days of Manchester to
Edinburgh, then to Madrid, then back to Manchester), I said "it must be a
bit like driving a bus for a living"; he got a bit huffy after that.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Pete C wrote

Kate Brown wrote:
snippy
Rant understood.
urg isn't all that bad actually. Some sniping based on long standing enmity.
Just ignore. Beleive me, some other groups are like battlefields in hell

I'm very glad to hear it. I come from the calm waters of
uk.media.radio.archers, you know. Also the slightly more turbulent
waves of uk.sci.weather, but I only ever needed to killfile one name,
and I didn't want to start here.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Kate Brown
writes

I'm very glad to hear it. I come from the calm waters of
uk.media.radio.archers, you know.

Oh dear!
In my house the radio goes:

Dum-te-Dum-te-Dum-te-Dum, Dum-te-Dum-te-Dum CLICK...

(unless I can get to the switch sooner).

;-)

Also the slightly more turbulent waves of uk.sci.weather, but I only
ever needed to killfile one name, and I didn't want to start here.

Don't do that to me, me old Dear, me old 'Earty!
--
Walter G
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 11-06-2009, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
news

Kate Brown wrote:
snippy
Rant understood.
urg isn't all that bad actually. Some sniping based on long standing
enmity.
Just ignore. Beleive me, some other groups are like battlefields in hell

I'm very glad to hear it. I come from the calm waters of
uk.media.radio.archers, you know. Also the slightly more turbulent waves
of uk.sci.weather, but I only ever needed to killfile one name, and I
didn't want to start here.

--
Kate B

Do those two newsgroups have 'cliques' as well? You know, you are either
'one of the chosen few' or are an outsider as in this newsgroup?

It's the only one I know where this happens, where chit chat goes on for
days, chit chat which should have gone to email.

To show how friendly a couple of other newsgroups I frequent are, when I
went into hospital, the two groups produced 14 pages, with an average of 5
messages per page, of 'Get well Soon' etc. These were printed off and
brought into me. BUT, these are people who 'know' me, not those who 'assume'
they know me but never met me :-( The others I have been to their houses for
parties etc. The hospital bedside locker was not big enough for all the
cards.

This group?

They should be proud ......... not.

Printed below was what I received from this group. (By the way, it's the
ONLY one like it)

Old 11-06-2009, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"'Mike'" wrote in message

.
news

Kate Brown wrote:
[...]

I would also add, that at one point I had SEVEN friends/people round my bed
representing various family/groups/associations.

From this group?

Pigs will fly

Old 11-06-2009, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 11, 12:28*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
--
To show how friendly a couple of other newsgroups I frequent are, when I
went into hospital, the two groups produced 14 pages, with an average of 5
messages per page, of 'Get well Soon' etc. These were printed off and
brought into me.

Does their sarcasm know no bounds?

If you were the "good chap" you pretend to be you would have the
decency to go away and leave this group in peace for a while. Or could
it be that your elephantine skin will not allow any act of human
kindness to escape?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 06:06:22 -0700 (PDT), moghouse

wrote:

On Jun 11, 12:28 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
--
To show how friendly a couple of other newsgroups I frequent are, when I
went into hospital, the two groups produced 14 pages, with an average of
5
messages per page, of 'Get well Soon' etc. These were printed off and
brought into me.

and inserted into a place where the sun don't shine by Nurse Enematia.

Does their sarcasm know no bounds?

If you were the "good chap" you pretend to be you would have the
decency to go away and leave this group in peace for a while. Or could
it be that your elephantine skin will not allow any act of human
kindness to escape?

Don't forget he has friends in uk.people.ex-forces and high places.
--

Martin

What a pity some of you show yourselves up to be members of "The Clique" at
all costs :-((

Kindest possible regards to all of you 'Followers'

Mike

Old 11-06-2009, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-11 14:06:22 +0100, moghouse said:
snip

If you were the "good chap" you pretend to be you would have the
decency to go away and leave this group in peace for a while. Or could
it be that your elephantine skin will not allow any act of human
kindness to escape?

Please, please let's not encourage this egoist. Anyone who behaves as
he does to spoil this group and then expects urglers to wish him well
must be deranged. All this is an excuse to talk about himself and his
operation because nobody has shown the faintest interest in it! Sorry
to make this plea but ANY responses are feeding him the oxygen of
attention. Believe me, he would rather be reviled than ignored!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

[IBC] A Plea to Commercial Growers [email protected] Bonsai 5 07-01-2004 06:43 PM
A plea from the froggies groovy Ponds 6 04-09-2003 02:02 AM
[IBC] A plea (read; RANT) from the listowner Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 15-05-2003 11:44 PM
Desparate plea for A.P.shindeshojo or deshojo seeds or seedlings or young plants in the uk dgdgdg Bonsai 0 15-05-2003 01:44 PM
OT, slightly odd but very genuine plea for help Paul Meech United Kingdom 6 30-11-2002 08:48 PM