Old 10-06-2009, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Poppy seeds

The cliff gardens in town have some wonderful poppies growing in them -
frilled, various shades for mauve and so on. Unfortunately, the council is
in the process of "formalising" the gardens, and are about to rip them all
out! If I go and take some seed pods now, while they are still green, will
the seed ripen?

--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-10 16:10:10 +0100, "Kathy" said:

The cliff gardens in town have some wonderful poppies growing in them -
frilled, various shades for mauve and so on. Unfortunately, the council is
in the process of "formalising" the gardens, and are about to rip them all
out! If I go and take some seed pods now, while they are still green, will
the seed ripen?

Unlikely, I'd think but you have nothing to lose by trying. But can't
you ask them to let you stick some in pots and take them away. They
might make it!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Old 11-06-2009, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-10 16:10:10 +0100, "Kathy" said:

The cliff gardens in town have some wonderful poppies growing in them -
frilled, various shades for mauve and so on. Unfortunately, the council
is
in the process of "formalising" the gardens, and are about to rip them
all
out! If I go and take some seed pods now, while they are still green,
will
the seed ripen?

Unlikely, I'd think but you have nothing to lose by trying. But can't you
ask them to let you stick some in pots and take them away. They might
make it!

I could try, but I'd probably have to be there ready for them to demolish
the delightful wild bed. As I work odd days [so do they but our days don't
seem to coincide] this could be difficult. I could just go and pinch them,
of course :-}

Old 11-06-2009, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-10 16:10:10 +0100, "Kathy" said:

The cliff gardens in town have some wonderful poppies growing in them -
frilled, various shades for mauve and so on. Unfortunately, the council
is
in the process of "formalising" the gardens, and are about to rip them
all
out! If I go and take some seed pods now, while they are still green,
will
the seed ripen?

Unlikely, I'd think but you have nothing to lose by trying. But can't you
ask them to let you stick some in pots and take them away. They might
make it!

I could try, but I'd probably have to be there ready for them to demolish
the delightful wild bed. As I work odd days [so do they but our days don't
seem to coincide] this could be difficult. I could just go and pinch them,
of course :-}

Well, here, it's dark and it's raining......I'd say your chances are
great to terrific. ;-) OTOH, you could take them a huge box of
chocolates and ask them to indulge you. (I'd suggest cans of beer but
I'm sure elf 'n safetee wouldn't like that)

Old 11-06-2009, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2009-06-10 16:10:10 +0100, "Kathy" said:

[...]

South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Try puting the strms of the seed heads in water with a flower food,
treat them like cut flowers and you may well find that they will
finish developing and ripening that way, as long as they are not to
immature when you cut them, then sow then once they are ripe, dont
leave them hanging arround to age.
This method works for dahlia seed.
David Hill

Old 11-06-2009, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-10 16:10:10 +0100, "Kathy" said:

The cliff gardens in town have some wonderful poppies growing in them -
frilled, various shades for mauve and so on. Unfortunately, the council
is
in the process of "formalising" the gardens, and are about to rip them
all
out! If I go and take some seed pods now, while they are still green,
will
the seed ripen?

Unlikely, I'd think but you have nothing to lose by trying. But can't
you ask them to let you stick some in pots and take them away. They
might make it!

I could try, but I'd probably have to be there ready for them to demolish
the delightful wild bed. As I work odd days [so do they but our days
don't seem to coincide] this could be difficult. I could just go and
pinch them, of course :-}

If you park on the pavement and wear a yellow hi viz jacket while you do it,
no-one will notice.

Steve

Old 11-06-2009, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 10, 4:10*pm, "Kathy" wrote:
The cliff gardens in town have some wonderful poppies growing in them -
frilled, various shades for mauve and so on. *Unfortunately, the council is
in the process of "formalising" the gardens, and are about to rip them all
out! *If I go and take some seed pods now, while they are still green, will
the seed ripen?

--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.

Kathy, I have 2 types of poppy; 1 looks a bit like the opium poppy,
beautiful full red flower. If you like I can save you some seeds and
send them to you? Email me if you like.

Judith
Old 11-06-2009, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 11, 10:39*am, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 02:14:55 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jun 10, 4:10*pm, "Kathy" wrote:
The cliff gardens in town have some wonderful poppies growing in them -
frilled, various shades for mauve and so on. *Unfortunately, the council is
in the process of "formalising" the gardens, and are about to rip them all
out! *If I go and take some seed pods now, while they are still green, will
the seed ripen?

--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.

Kathy, I have 2 types of poppy; 1 looks a bit like the opium poppy,
beautiful full red flower. *If you like I can save you some seeds and
send them to you?

Drug squad material?
--

Martin

I dunno, I don't smoke!

Judith
Old 12-06-2009, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

On 2009-06-10 16:10:10 +0100, "Kathy" said:

[...]

LOL. Might just work :-}

Old 12-06-2009, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jun 10, 4:10 pm, "Kathy" wrote:
The cliff gardens in town have some wonderful poppies growing in them -
frilled, various shades for mauve and so on. Unfortunately, the council is
in the process of "formalising" the gardens, and are about to rip them all
out! If I go and take some seed pods now, while they are still green, will
the seed ripen?

--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.

Kathy, I have 2 types of poppy; 1 looks a bit like the opium poppy,
beautiful full red flower. If you like I can save you some seeds and
send them to you? Email me if you like.

Thanks Judith, I have deep red ones already. Curtsey of bird seed, I think,
as I certainly didn't plant them. They look so good that it has sparked my
interest in the varieties down in the cliff gardens.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 10, 4:10 pm, "Kathy" wrote:
The cliff gardens in town have some wonderful poppies growing in them -
frilled, various shades for mauve and so on. Unfortunately, the council is
in the process of "formalising" the gardens, and are about to rip them all
out! If I go and take some seed pods now, while they are still green, will
the seed ripen?

--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.

Kathy, I have 2 types of poppy; 1 looks a bit like the opium poppy,
beautiful full red flower. If you like I can save you some seeds and
send them to you? Email me if you like.

Thanks Judith, I have deep red ones already. Curtsey of bird seed, I think,
as I certainly didn't plant them. They look so good that it has sparked my
interest in the varieties down in the cliff gardens.

Some of ours which were the pink ruffled ones have been re-born as
single flowered mauve poppies. If you'd like some seed email me at the
Nursery and I'll try to grab some before it disperses itself.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Jun 10, 4:10 pm, "Kathy" wrote:
The cliff gardens in town have some wonderful poppies growing in them -
frilled, various shades for mauve and so on. Unfortunately, the council
is
in the process of "formalising" the gardens, and are about to rip them
all
out! If I go and take some seed pods now, while they are still green,
will
the seed ripen?

--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.

Kathy, I have 2 types of poppy; 1 looks a bit like the opium poppy,
beautiful full red flower. If you like I can save you some seeds and
send them to you?

Drug squad material?

Old fashioned english poppy material!

--