Old 11-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Registered User

Default Trouble with Cordyline australis

I have 4 Cordyline australis in my garden. We live in south west scotland and they have withstood the 2 winters we have been here ok. I believe they are around 10 years old. Over the last couple of months each tree has sprouted an inner almost foliage/seed growth. All the leaves which were a rich green before are now starting to yellow and look distressed, Should I cut away the inner growth. It is totally different from the leaves and looks very healthy, but I very much dont want to lose the beautiful spikey leaves of the palms. Photo attached.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"GardenReg" wrote...

I have 4 Cordyline australis in my garden. We live in south west
scotland and they have withstood the 2 winters we have been here ok. I
believe they are around 10 years old. Over the last couple of months
each tree has sprouted an inner almost foliage/seed growth. All the
leaves which were a rich green before are now starting to yellow and
look distressed, Should I cut away the inner growth. It is totally
different from the leaves and looks very healthy, but I very much dont
want to lose the beautiful spikey leaves of the palms. Photo attached.

We have never had a problem with ours and they flower profusely every year.
Dead and yellowing leaves are falling off now but they are also putting on
new growth.The one I can see from here has 6 flower spikes on this side
alone.
Are you sure they survived this last winter?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-06-2009, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

GardenReg wrote:
I have 4 Cordyline australis in my garden. We live in south west
scotland and they have withstood the 2 winters we have been here ok. I
believe they are around 10 years old. Over the last couple of months
each tree has sprouted an inner almost foliage/seed growth. All the
leaves which were a rich green before are now starting to yellow and
look distressed, Should I cut away the inner growth. It is totally
different from the leaves and looks very healthy, but I very much dont
want to lose the beautiful spikey leaves of the palms. Photo attached.

That is a flower spike. They usually take about 8 - 10 years to produce the
first one. Have you fed it?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 11-06-2009, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 11, 2:04*pm, GardenReg
wrote:
I have 4 Cordyline australis in my garden. We live in south west
scotland and they have withstood the 2 winters we have been here ok. I
believe they are around 10 years old. Over the last couple of months
each tree has sprouted an inner almost foliage/seed growth. All the
leaves which were a rich green before are now starting to yellow and
look distressed, Should I cut away the inner growth. It is totally
different from the leaves and looks very healthy, but I very much dont
want to lose the beautiful spikey leaves of the palms. Photo attached.

--
GardenReg

I can't see the photo?

Judith
Old 11-06-2009, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote ...
I have 4 Cordyline australis in my garden. We live in south west
scotland and they have withstood the 2 winters we have been here ok. I
believe they are around 10 years old. Over the last couple of months
each tree has sprouted an inner almost foliage/seed growth. All the
leaves which were a rich green before are now starting to yellow and
look distressed, Should I cut away the inner growth. It is totally
different from the leaves and looks very healthy, but I very much dont
want to lose the beautiful spikey leaves of the palms. Photo attached.

I can't see the photo?

No, being a non binary Newsgroup you can't attach a photo, or at least the
servers will strip it off, but if you come here via the web site
Gardenbanter they have their own system of posting a photo to their servers
and posting a link here. Just like me using "flickr" really.
So to the original poster, either look up and use the Gardenbanter photo
system and post a link here or use something like flickr and post a link
here.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden