GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing potatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/184714-growing-potatoes.html)

Al[_4_] 12-06-2009 07:43 PM

Growing potatoes

The other half *loves* Marfona potatoes (baked). Sadly the season seems to
be quite short, and supplies in supermarkets are erratic.

So, how hard would it be for me to grow my own? I have a large garden, but
the borders are jam packed with plants and the only freely available area
is in heavy shade and full of trees. Containers maybe? We have tons
(literally) of compost available - Maybe I could make a raised bed type
thing for them?

Ideas?

Al.

Bertie Doe 12-06-2009 09:55 PM

Growing potatoes

"Al" wrote in message
. 4...
The other half *loves* Marfona potatoes (baked). Sadly the season seems to
be quite short, and supplies in supermarkets are erratic.

So, how hard would it be for me to grow my own? I have a large garden, but
the borders are jam packed with plants and the only freely available area
is in heavy shade and full of trees. Containers maybe? We have tons
(literally) of compost available - Maybe I could make a raised bed type
thing for them?

Ideas?

Al.

Large containers/barrels etc sounds favourite, especially as you have spare
compost. The only question is : where do you get seed potatoes from, this
late in the season?
Using old s/mkt spuds that are sprouting may be risky, as they tend to be
soft. Other folk may have experience with late grown spuds - my container
was started in April.

Bertie Doe 12-06-2009 10:23 PM

Growing potatoes

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

Just spotted Soup's post 5 days ago on Xmas spuds. This jogged the memory
buds, as some seed merchants will supply, with the slogan "early pots for
Xmas Day".
This article suggests you can even plant at the end of August !!
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ll7hhv

First 2 hits on Google :

Seed pots available in August
http://preview.tinyurl.com/l3zvsd