GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Slug ridden new potatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/184742-slug-ridden-new-potatoes.html)

Trevor 13-06-2009 07:43 PM

Slug ridden new potatoes

My Charlotte potatoes were coming up fine from the 3rd week of May onwards,
but now they are totally slug infested - though the size of jacket potatoes
and a bigger crop than the Swift or Rocket I have grown previously ( I think
they may be 2nd earlies?) Any tips for next year?

I put the first few cuts of grass cuttingsa around then - is this a bad
idea?

Trevor
East Yorkshire

Bob Hobden 13-06-2009 09:38 PM

Slug ridden new potatoes

"Trevor" wrote...
My Charlotte potatoes were coming up fine from the 3rd week of May
onwards, but now they are totally slug infested - though the size of
jacket potatoes and a bigger crop than the Swift or Rocket I have grown
previously ( I think they may be 2nd earlies?) Any tips for next year?

I put the first few cuts of grass cuttingsa around then - is this a bad
idea?

I presume you mean the little black ground slugs eating into the potatoes,
the only way round the problem is to grow slug resistant varieties but even
then you will get some losses.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden