GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Impatiens disease (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/184808-impatiens-disease.html)

Steve J 15-06-2009 07:30 PM

Impatiens disease

Almost 12 months ago, I remember a discussion on here on how some of
you lost all of your busy lizzies.

Well here in Warwick, mine are dying after just 2 weeks in the ground!

Steve J

Emrys Davies 15-06-2009 11:28 PM

Impatiens disease

"Steve J" wrote in message
Almost 12 months ago, I remember a discussion on here on how some of
you lost all of your busy lizzies.

Well here in Warwick, mine are dying after just 2 weeks in the ground!

Steve J

Would you describe how you grew and planted them, size etc. as it may be
that you put them out too soon before their roots were properly
developed.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Sacha[_4_] 15-06-2009 11:42 PM

Impatiens disease

On 2009-06-15 19:30:08 +0100, Steve J said:

Almost 12 months ago, I remember a discussion on here on how some of
you lost all of your busy lizzies.

Well here in Warwick, mine are dying after just 2 weeks in the ground!

Steve J

Wet? Cold snap? Asked the supplier?
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Steve J 16-06-2009 01:00 PM

Impatiens disease

On 15 June, 23:42, Sacha wrote:

Wet? Cold snap? Asked the supplier?

Thanks to Sacha and Emrys for replies, though I didn't expect any to
be honest; I guess I posted in frustration, and perhaps with a heads
up to the group that this issue might arise again this year.

I bought the bedding plants at Wyevale, and bought the larger plants
in the more expensive packs to make sure they developed quickly having
left planting until early June.

Despite the relative warmth and reular watering about half just rotted
off - the rest I have recued by putting in fresh soil, and they are
now thriving.

The mistake I made I think, was planting them in the same soil/compost
as last year, albeit with some Growmore to give them some food!

I buy very few bedding plants these days with my borders turned over
to perennials mainly with shrubs, and a cottage garden style in the
main area.

Impatiens are a good filler though most ywears whatever the weather,
so I will persevere!!

Steve.