Old 18-06-2009, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Amsterdam: tulip bulbs in all seasons?

Hello all,
I've been last week to Amsterdam and was amazed to see tulip bulbs on
sale everywhere. At first, I thought "what a con! These bulbs are not
going to produce anything right now and be completely dried in autumn
when you can plant them", but then I had a look ate the indications on
the packs and they said something like Planting time: May-June,
flowering time July-August ???
So, is this a big con, or can you actually plant tulips in summer, or
are these bulbs especially treated (forced?)for that?
I didn't buy any (maybe I should have to try) but I'm just a bit curious...
Gogo