Old 19-06-2009, 12:23 PM posted to free.uk.trade.furniture,uk.rec.gardening,alt.business.import-export.raw-material,uk.d-i-y,free.uk.gardening

Default Wessex Teak - Am I mad to buy from them? (Planning to buy large teakgarden table...)

Hi

I am thinking of buying some teak furniture from Wessex Teak.

They clearly have a terrible reputation for taking your money and
delivering very late (etc).

HOWEVER, what is the quality of their stuff like?
I you turn up with cash and pick up the stuff yourself is there any
problem?

I am thinking about buying a large teak extendible garden table from
them (2.0m - 3.0m x 1.2m wide)(probably plus a few chairs)...

The thing is that they are SO much cheaper than anyone else. (About
half price or less)
And if their product is of reasonable quality itself... what can go
wrong?

Am I mad?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe
Old 19-06-2009, 12:35 PM posted to free.uk.trade.furniture,uk.rec.gardening,alt.business.import-export.raw-material,uk.d-i-y,free.uk.gardening

On 19 June, 11:23, ship wrote:
Hi

I am thinking of buying some teak furniture from Wessex Teak.

They clearly have a terrible reputation for taking your money and
delivering very late (etc).

HOWEVER, *what is the quality of their stuff like?
I you turn up with cash *and pick up the stuff yourself is there any
problem?

I am thinking about buying a large teak extendible garden table from
them (2.0m - 3.0m x 1.2m wide)(probably plus a few chairs)...

The thing is that they are SO much cheaper than anyone else. (About
half price or less)
And if their product is of reasonable quality itself... what can go
wrong?

Am I mad?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

I guess you've seen these links
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=978687
http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Wessex-Tea...00000007951215

I wouldn't go near them, but if you do, pay by credit card - it will
be much easier to get your money back from the credit card provider
than it will from Wessex teak.
Old 19-06-2009, 11:18 PM posted to free.uk.trade.furniture,uk.rec.gardening,alt.business.import-export.raw-material,uk.d-i-y,free.uk.gardening

ship wrote:

Hi

I am thinking of buying some teak furniture from Wessex Teak.

They clearly have a terrible reputation for taking your money and
delivering very late (etc).

HOWEVER, what is the quality of their stuff like?
I you turn up with cash and pick up the stuff yourself is there any
problem?

a customer in my pub has used them from ebay.
the quality of the products are fine, all made in*Asia*somewhere.
the firm themselves are worse then useless,they do not answer phone or email
contact, if you can collect yourself they are good value for money.*
\0

Old 20-06-2009, 03:36 AM posted to free.uk.trade.furniture,uk.rec.gardening,alt.business.import-export.raw-material,uk.d-i-y,free.uk.gardening

On 19 June, 11:23, ship wrote:
Hi

I am thinking of buying some teak furniture from Wessex Teak.

They clearly have a terrible reputation for taking your money and
delivering very late (etc).

HOWEVER, *what is the quality of their stuff like?
I you turn up with cash *and pick up the stuff yourself is there any
problem?

I am thinking about buying a large teak extendible garden table from
them (2.0m - 3.0m x 1.2m wide)(probably plus a few chairs)...

The thing is that they are SO much cheaper than anyone else. (About
half price or less)
And if their product is of reasonable quality itself... what can go
wrong?

Am I mad?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

The product is fine. The firm is dire. Took me about two months to get
mine, with three changed delivery dates - the first delivery date was
45 days out, when their ad clearly stated 28 days, and so on from
there. Got the stuff eventually, with a parasol thrown in, at a good
price. Might order again if I knew six months in advance what I
wanted,,,,
Old 20-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:

Hi

I am thinking of buying some teak furniture from Wessex Teak.

They clearly have a terrible reputation for taking your money and
delivering very late (etc).

Am I mad?
Plenty of teak stuff on E-Bay from power sellers with 99+% feed back try one of those.

Old 20-06-2009, 06:41 PM posted to free.uk.trade.furniture,uk.rec.gardening,alt.business.import-export.raw-material,uk.d-i-y,free.uk.gardening

ship wrote:
Hi

I am thinking of buying some teak furniture

snip

I hope you'll check where the teak comes from (FSC logo is a good enough
recommendation).

They don't seem to mention it, which might mean that their teak is
obtained by clear-felling rain forests. In the process most of the
wildlife is destroyed, the unusable small branches burned (adding to
global warming) and the earth left in a state where it produces a few
good crops - then washes out to sea,leaving a wet desert useless for
anything, neither the environment nor the local residents.

Andy
Old 23-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Registered User

[quote='Andy Champ[_2_];852202']ship wrote:
Hi

I am thinking of buying some teak furniture

snip

I BOUGHT AND WAS DELIVERED THE 3.0MTR OVAL EXTENSION TABLE WITH 10 STACKING CHAIRS AND 2 EXTRA CHAIRS

I LIVE IN KENT AND DELIVERY CAME WITHIN 2 WEEKS SO OK THERE.

SET DELIVERED WAS EXCELLENT QUALITY WELL ON A PAR WITH MY LOCAL WHYVALE AND ABOUT HALF THE PRICE LITERALLY(IPAID £950 AND SIMILAR SET UP FOR £1799 AT THE CENTRE) I DID THE NORMAL,TRAWLED THROUGH A FEW WEBSITES, WENT TO COUPLE OF GARDEN CENTRES ETC AND BASICALLY WENT WITH WESSEX TEAK BECAUSE THEY WERE CHEAPEST!!

I DID PAY BY CASH ON DELIVERY BUT DID INSPECT THE FURNITURE FIRST,AGAIN ALL OK.THE ONLY THING THEY DIDNT DELIVER WAS THE PARASOL AS EMAILED ME OUT OF STOCK,THEY HAVE SUBSEQUENTLY EMAILED ME WITH A DELIVERY DATE OF THE 1ST JULY FOR PARASOL.I WAS JUST GOING TO EMAIL THM TO ASK A TIME BECAUSE AGAIN WOULD PAY ON DELIVERY

THANKS,AL
Old 29-06-2009, 05:59 PM posted to free.uk.trade.furniture,uk.rec.gardening,alt.business.import-export.raw-material,uk.d-i-y,free.uk.gardening

On Jun 20, 5:41*pm, Andy Champ wrote:
ship wrote:
Hi

I am thinking of buying some teak furniture

snip

I hope you'll check where the teak comes from (FSC logo is a good enough
recommendation).

They don't seem to mention it, which might mean that their teak is
obtained by clear-felling rain forests. *In the process most of the
wildlife is destroyed, the unusable small branches burned (adding to
global warming) and the earth left in a state where it produces a few
good crops - then washes out to sea,leaving a wet desert useless for
anything, neither the environment nor the local residents.

Andy

Hi Andy

FSC - is a good question!
They do talk about "sustainable sources"
http://www.wessexteak.com/product.asp?v06VQ=FKI

All made from the finest plantation teak imported from sustainable forestry sources ...

There again words are cheap!
I'll email them for better proof.

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Old 30-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship View Post
Hi

I am thinking of buying some teak furniture from Wessex Teak.

They clearly have a terrible reputation for taking your money and
delivering very late (etc).

HOWEVER, what is the quality of their stuff like?
I you turn up with cash and pick up the stuff yourself is there any
problem?

I am thinking about buying a large teak extendible garden table from
them (2.0m - 3.0m x 1.2m wide)(probably plus a few chairs)...

The thing is that they are SO much cheaper than anyone else. (About
half price or less)
And if their product is of reasonable quality itself... what can go
wrong?

Am I mad?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe
I am afraid you probably are mad to buy from them, at least by post anyway. My experience with this company could not be worse, and without going into great lengths they do not do what they say they are going to do and treat you like dirt. My only recourse was to contact my credit card company who were wonderful and get my money back through them. Tjis was about 6 months after I placed the order.
I would recommend you use Humber Imports who were first class. Google them and buy from them you will not regret it. Dave F
Old 09-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Registered User

Thumbs down

You are mad - as I was when I bought a set from Wessex Teak recently. Do not be fooled by the glossy looking website. If you are close to Brentwood - go and see them. It is poorly build furniture and the employees are quite frankly cowboys. Save yourself a lot of pain and look elsewhere. If you do still decide to go for it (definitely mad) do not hand over a cheque until you are 100% happy and have given the goods a detailed, assembled inspection - even if the driver has to wait 20 minutes. The parent company is PTC Imports

Old 12-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Registered User

Thumbs up

[quote=ship;851914]Hi

I am thinking of buying some teak furniture from Wessex Teak.

They clearly have a terrible reputation for taking your money and
delivering very late (etc).

HOWEVER, what is the quality of their stuff like?
I you turn up with cash and pick up the stuff yourself is there any
problem?

I am thinking about buying a large teak extendible garden table from
them (2.0m - 3.0m x 1.2m wide)(probably plus a few chairs)...

The thing is that they are SO much cheaper than anyone else. (About
half price or less)
And if their product is of reasonable quality itself... what can go
wrong?

No you are not mad as i bought the slightly smaller table from them 4 weeks ago and i am extremely happy with it all
i saw this link as i was going to leave some positive feedback on there website
beautiful furniture and really nice delivery guy..well pleased
by the way i had the 8 chair 8ft set
hope this helps
Old 06-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear View Post
You are mad - as I was when I bought a set from Wessex Teak recently. Do not be fooled by the glossy looking website. If you are close to Brentwood - go and see them. It is poorly build furniture and the employees are quite frankly cowboys. Save yourself a lot of pain and look elsewhere. If you do still decide to go for it (definitely mad) do not hand over a cheque until you are 100% happy and have given the goods a detailed, assembled inspection - even if the driver has to wait 20 minutes. The parent company is PTC Imports

What a load of toss. first it isn't poorly built furniture, though some of it could be better, I admit. That's because the workers in Indonesia are varied in their skill levels.
As a former driver for wessexteak I can say this from experience.

Secondly I am no cowboy and I am quite prepared to take any action necessary to make that clear, so please to be aware that flapping your mouth with highly inaccurate statements can and does have consequences.
it is an insult after the number of times I have bent over backwards for customers, some of who were quite unreasonable,when sometimes every fibre of my being was saying who does this nasty person think they are talking to. It was sometimes difficult to resist the temptation to slap some people into the middle of next week.
I was not there to be abused regardless of whatever issues the customer had with the company...I DID MY PART!!!

Idiots who go out shopping when expecting a delivery WTF
people who buy self-assembly furniture (put some legs on) and then its too difficult for them. Sometimes I wondered how some people managed to breathe in the morning, they seemed that stupid.

and then there's people like you, fair enough inspect the furniture by all means, but keeping a driver waiting and getting them to put furniture together is not part of their remit. Try doing that with IKEA and watch your furniture disappear down the road as your furniture is listed as 'Refused'

There are other customers to service, most waiting in to get their delivery and YOU are making them wait even longer quite apart form the fact that people like you made my working day last from 5am often through past midnight.

Ther's nothing wrong with the majority of the furniture, though some people expect house of fraser for Oxfam prices...

I've always felt the same about the furniture if you dont mind a little prep work sometimes, say sanding the edge of the odd table where the indonesians didn't quite do it 100% smooth then its good enough.
If you aren't up to anything practical at all then go get ripped off by a so-called top class shop and pay through the nose for your ineptitude, its as simple as that.

I really dont think it is the most clever idea in the world though to call a bloke who carries weights in excess of 85KG on a regular basis a cowboy and I wonder if you would do that during the delivery. I personally most people would look pretty stupid trying to stop a 98KG 3.5m heavy teak table that was flying in their direction.

You might want to consider that in future.
Old 28-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Registered User

Thumbs down

[...]

Let me tell everyone some thing about the cheap wessex teak also known as ptc imports!!!
I used to work as a driver and first thing i found out is they dont own a factory in indenisior or where ever they say its all brought cheeaply as seconds from abroad they will take your money a rip u off i worked neary 16 hour days for them every day as they uesd to load us with so much work their ware house is a health haszard waiting to happen and they just dont care about there customers i am supprised theyare still going and trading standards have not closed them down BE WARNED ALTHOUGH SOME PEOPLE HAVE HAD GOOD TRADING WITH THEM 7 OUT OF 10 CUSTOMERS ALWAYS COMPLAINED TO ME THAT THINGS WERE MISSING OR BROKEN OR LATE LIKE 6 MONTHS LATE PLEASE SAVE YOUR TIMEAND MONEY AND BUY ELSE WHERE!!!!!!!!
Old 29-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2000k View Post
Let me tell everyone some thing about the cheap wessex teak also known as ptc imports!!!
I used to work as a driver and first thing i found out is they dont own a factory in indenisior or where ever they say its all brought cheeaply as seconds from abroad they will take your money a rip u off i worked neary 16 hour days for them every day as they uesd to load us with so much work their ware house is a health haszard waiting to happen and they just dont care about there customers i am supprised theyare still going and trading standards have not closed them down BE WARNED ALTHOUGH SOME PEOPLE HAVE HAD GOOD TRADING WITH THEM 7 OUT OF 10 CUSTOMERS ALWAYS COMPLAINED TO ME THAT THINGS WERE MISSING OR BROKEN OR LATE LIKE 6 MONTHS LATE PLEASE SAVE YOUR TIMEAND MONEY AND BUY ELSE WHERE!!!!!!!!
Yeah I'm aware as you will be that there were issues in the past with this company...mainly during the bad old Ebay days. This due to the fact that they weren't really getting the money for the items auctioned as they expected.
Anybody with half a brain can work out that if you are losing money hand over fist then at some point something has to give, and that is why it turned belly up back then...
Times have moved on since then. Some staff who were exacerbating the problems have been sacked and the company has become wiser. No company will ever be perfect, but even I've got to say that wessexteak have improved a lot.
We still work long hours, although I'm off at the moment (low season and broken foot). I used to moan a lot about long hours, but I've become more philosophical, as better long hours, than unemployed.
And yes it was a sh1tty warehouse, but hard as you might find it to believe, that's a thing of the past too...that particular West Horndon warehouse is now closed...
And the new one doesn't leak.
Whether or not they own, or ever owned a factory in Indonesia is immaterial really, if the furniture you get in is ok and the customer is happy, and most nowadays are, then that is all that matters.
I know there's times we all despaired at the thought of yet another long day...but if you remember me you'll know that being 'Mr Scotland' I often had the longest days of the lot.
I'm happy that things have improved, I am also happy that there's less 'issues', there's nothing worse than not being able to make people happy...

It wasn't great back then, I know, but I would have to say your information is very out of date with regard to the current situation.

They've improved a lot, really.

Ray.
Old 18-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Registered User

Yes, the original guy would be completely insane to buy from Wessex Teak. Anyone would . They are rude, dishonest and it's taken nearly 9 months to get my money back - through the courts in the end. They shouted and swore down the phone, delivered faulty products (and replaced them with faulty products) and made more delivery dates than I can remember. They move premises, presumably to avoid the bailiffs and just aren't worth even considering. DON'T EVEN THINK OF BUYING FROM THIS COMPANY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboy9i View Post