Old 25-06-2009, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Brambles and nettles.

Hi everyone. Im a keen winemaker and I've found a spot where wild
brambles are growing with abundance [1}. As a winemaker this is a
great delight to me. However in one large part of the area, the
brambles are interspersed with nettle (the soft stingy type where the
tip breaks off and injects its poison). Is it possible to use a
weedkiller to kill these off without afecting the brambles? If so, can
anyone recommend a brand?

[1] I can easily pick enough for about 15 - 20 gallons.

Thanks in advance.

Kev
Old 25-06-2009, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"McKevvy" wrote in message
Hi everyone. Im a keen winemaker and I've found a spot where wild
brambles are growing with abundance [1}. As a winemaker this is a
great delight to me. However in one large part of the area, the
brambles are interspersed with nettle (the soft stingy type where the
tip breaks off and injects its poison). Is it possible to use a
weedkiller to kill these off without afecting the brambles? If so, can
anyone recommend a brand?

[1] I can easily pick enough for about 15 - 20 gallons.

Thanks in advance.

Just go prepared with long clothes and gloves - the nettles are just as
valuable for wildlife as the brambles. Not only that, but it'll keep off the
less well equipped wild food scavengers, so more for you!

Old 25-06-2009, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 04:44:37 -0700 (PDT), McKevvy
wrote:

Hi everyone. Im a keen winemaker and I've found a spot where wild
brambles are growing with abundance [1}. As a winemaker this is a
great delight to me. However in one large part of the area, the
brambles are interspersed with nettle (the soft stingy type where the
tip breaks off and injects its poison). Is it possible to use a
weedkiller to kill these off without afecting the brambles? If so, can
anyone recommend a brand?

[1] I can easily pick enough for about 15 - 20 gallons.

Harvest the nettles as well.

Stinging nettle wine is often made and enjoyed.

(Google for recipes)

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 25-06-2009, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹ wrote:

Harvest the nettles as well.

Stinging nettle wine is often made and enjoyed.

Actually, it's often made and occasionally enjoyed :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-06-2009, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 13:44:23 +0100 (BST), wrote:

In article ,
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹ wrote:
Harvest the nettles as well.

Stinging nettle wine is often made and enjoyed.

Actually, it's often made and occasionally enjoyed :-)

LOL

Actually I have always found that blackberrying and being stung by
nettles go, well, hand in glove!

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

Old 25-06-2009, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 June, 12:48, "OG" wrote:
"McKevvy" wrote in message

Hi everyone. Im a keen winemaker and I've found a spot where wild
brambles are growing with abundance [1}. As a winemaker this is a
great delight to me. However in one large part of the area, the
brambles are interspersed with nettle (the soft stingy type where the
tip breaks off and injects its poison). Is it possible to use a
weedkiller to kill these off without afecting the brambles? If so, can
anyone recommend a brand?

[1] I can easily pick enough for about 15 - 20 gallons.

Thanks in advance.

Just go prepared with long clothes and gloves - the nettles are just as
valuable for wildlife as the brambles. Not only that, but it'll keep off the
less well equipped wild food scavengers, so more for you!

Yes I understand but me wearing gloves will more than likely damage
the fruit.

McKevvy
Old 25-06-2009, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Hi everyone. Im a keen winemaker and I've found a spot where wild
brambles are growing with abundance [1}. As a winemaker this is a
great delight to me. However in one large part of the area, the
brambles are interspersed with nettle (the soft stingy type where the
tip breaks off and injects its poison). Is it possible to use a
weedkiller to kill these off without afecting the brambles? If so, can
anyone recommend a brand?

[1] I can easily pick enough for about 15 - 20 gallons.

Harvest the nettles as well.

Stinging nettle wine is often made and enjoyed.

(Google for recipes)

--
*®óñ© *© *²°¹°-°¹

Noooooooooooooooooooo......I see the nettles as unecceassary and a
pain in the a**e!.

McK
Old 25-06-2009, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..

wrote:
Hi everyone. Im a keen winemaker and I've found a spot where wild
brambles are growing with abundance [1}. As a winemaker this is a
great delight to me. However in one large part of the area, the
brambles are interspersed with nettle (the soft stingy type where the
tip breaks off and injects its poison). Is it possible to use a
weedkiller to kill these off without afecting the brambles? If so, can
anyone recommend a brand?

[1] I can easily pick enough for about 15 - 20 gallons.

Harvest the nettles as well.

Stinging nettle wine is often made and enjoyed.

(Google for recipes)

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹

Noooooooooooooooooooo......I see the nettles as unecceassary and a
pain in the a**e!.

McK

Well wear Leather Breaches

Mike

Old 25-06-2009, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
'Mike' wrote:

Noooooooooooooooooooo......I see the nettles as unecceassary and a
pain in the a**e!.

You're not a relation of Steve Gough, are you?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-06-2009, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"McKevvy" wrote in message
On 25 June, 12:48, "OG" wrote:
"McKevvy" wrote in message

Hi everyone. Im a keen winemaker and I've found a spot where wild
brambles are growing with abundance [1}. As a winemaker this is a
great delight to me. However in one large part of the area, the
brambles are interspersed with nettle (the soft stingy type where the
tip breaks off and injects its poison). Is it possible to use a
weedkiller to kill these off without afecting the brambles? If so, can
anyone recommend a brand?

[1] I can easily pick enough for about 15 - 20 gallons.

Thanks in advance.

Just go prepared with long clothes and gloves - the nettles are just as
valuable for wildlife as the brambles. Not only that, but it'll keep off
the
less well equipped wild food scavengers, so more for you!

Yes I understand but me wearing gloves will more than likely damage
the fruit.

You could try latex gloves.
But since you're going to make wine with it, I wouldn't have thought it
would be a major problem.

Old 25-06-2009, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 June, 17:40, wrote:
In article ,

'Mike' wrote:

Noooooooooooooooooooo......I see the nettles as unecceassary and a
pain in the a**e!.

You're not a relation of Steve Gough, are you?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Even with his audacity, I'm sure even he wouldnt verture into this
area.

McK.
Old 25-06-2009, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 June, 17:46, "OG" wrote:
"McKevvy" wrote in message

On 25 June, 12:48, "OG" wrote:
"McKevvy" wrote in message

[...]

The height of these stinging nettles are at least 4.5 ft. and are a
minefield in themselves. Don't forget being scratched to bu**ery with
the stems of the brambles too.

Looks like I'm in for a painful time. However, the quality of the wine
certainly offsets the pain.

Going back to my original question..would a weedkiller work?

(there's no-one else who would take these brambles for wine, jam,
etc.)

McKevvy
Old 26-06-2009, 05:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

McKevvy wrote:

Hi everyone. Im a keen winemaker and I've found a spot where wild
brambles are growing with abundance [1}. As a winemaker this is a
great delight to me. However in one large part of the area, the
brambles are interspersed with nettle (the soft stingy type where the
tip breaks off and injects its poison). Is it possible to use a
weedkiller to kill these off without afecting the brambles? If so, can
anyone recommend a brand?

[1] I can easily pick enough for about 15 - 20 gallons.

Thanks in advance.

Kev

Our ancestors used to hunt mammoth with little more than
pointed sticks!

--
Sleepalot aa #1385

Old 26-06-2009, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sleepalot wrote:

Our ancestors used to hunt mammoth with little more than
pointed sticks!

Mammoth were easy. Have you ever seen cave paintings with the cavemen
carrying sacks of blackberries to make wine? Never happened, far too
hard for them, all those stinging nettles. ;-)

To the OP, I think any weedkiller strong enough to kill off the nettles
would be a possible health hazard to anyone eating (drinking) the
blackberries. You could always use glyphosate one year, that would kill
off the nettles but only make the blackberries miserable, then the
following year there should only be the recovered blackberry bushes with
no nettles. Blackberry bushes are not killed with a single treatment of
glyphosate.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 26-06-2009, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Sleepalot wrote:

Our ancestors used to hunt mammoth with little more than pointed sticks!

Mammoth were easy. Have you ever seen cave paintings with the cavemen
carrying sacks of blackberries to make wine? Never happened, far too hard
for them, all those stinging nettles. ;-)

To the OP, I think any weedkiller strong enough to kill off the nettles
would be a possible health hazard to anyone eating (drinking) the
blackberries. You could always use glyphosate one year, that would kill
off the nettles but only make the blackberries miserable, then the
following year there should only be the recovered blackberry bushes with
no nettles. Blackberry bushes are not killed with a single treatment of
glyphosate.

Am I the only one appalled at the idea of trashing a species rich piece of
wild growth just so the OP isn't inconvenienced whilst gathering free
brambles?

And surely it would be illegal without the permission of the land
owner/occupier.

Brambles/nettles Sparx Gardening 10 20-01-2012 04:06 AM
Best time to spray nettles and brambles? Best product Chris Wilson[_2_] United Kingdom 10 24-03-2008 09:04 PM
Thornes, spines and Stinging Nettles! chatnoir Gardening 14 14-12-2006 12:54 PM
nettles and weeds in strawberry beds Judith Lea United Kingdom 6 15-05-2006 11:34 PM
Bindweed and nettles Andy Sanson United Kingdom 26 03-08-2003 08:13 PM