Old 01-07-2009, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sowing vegetable seeds now for autumn harvest ?

Hi folks !
I have a shaded spot at the back of my garden which I use for growing
spinach and potatoes. Just today I harvested a generous crop of
spinach but was wondering that we are still starting July and I would
like to grow some other vegetables for harvest in say early autumn.
Obviously a significant amount of the nutrients in the soil would
have been used up so I may have to condition the soil with some juicy
compost. Any recommendations on what would be good to sow now and also
what would be the best method to "re-energise" the plot after the
spinach harvest ? Does spinach devoid the soil of any essential
elements / minerals ?
I would like to reiterate the fact the the vegetable plot is in a
shaded area and only gets direct sunlight in mid morning for one or
two hours.

Cheers,
uc
Old 01-07-2009, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle-C" wrote
I have a shaded spot at the back of my garden which I use for growing
spinach and potatoes. Just today I harvested a generous crop of
spinach but was wondering that we are still starting July and I would
like to grow some other vegetables for harvest in say early autumn.
Obviously a significant amount of the nutrients in the soil would
have been used up so I may have to condition the soil with some juicy
compost. Any recommendations on what would be good to sow now and also
what would be the best method to "re-energise" the plot after the
spinach harvest ? Does spinach devoid the soil of any essential
elements / minerals ?
I would like to reiterate the fact the the vegetable plot is in a
shaded area and only gets direct sunlight in mid morning for one or
two hours.

Strange as it might sound early peas. Something like "Early Onward" but you
will need to keep them well watered if this dry hot weather persists.
ps. They are only "early" because they grow quickly.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-07-2009, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle-C" wrote in message
[...]

How about sowing some dwarf beans, to harvest about October, which would
also help put some nitrogen back in to the soil?
There are lots of other things you can grow when the potatoes come out, such
as winter leeks, brussels sprouts, or spring cabbage for next year, but
these need planning and its a bit late for that this year.

It also depends on the soil quality, and where you are geographically. I am
in what most people consider to be "the north" but we are surrounded by
seawater so the winters are mild on the whole.

John
at the North end of the Wirral