GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Harlequin Ladybirds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/185342-harlequin-ladybirds.html)

Bob Hobden 01-07-2009 06:16 PM

Harlequin Ladybirds

I've looked for descriptions and at differences between these and our native
Ladybirds and I'm still not sure which ones larvae are all over our Broad
Beans....
http://www.harlequin-survey.org/reco...stinction.htm#

Anyone got a foolproof way of telling them apart?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Pete C[_2_] 01-07-2009 08:50 PM

Harlequin Ladybirds

Bob Hobden wrote:
I've looked for descriptions and at differences between these and our
native Ladybirds and I'm still not sure which ones larvae are all
over our Broad Beans....
http://www.harlequin-survey.org/reco...stinction.htm#

Anyone got a foolproof way of telling them apart?

Good page that. I've been Googling too cos I have lots of ladybirds on the
plot tonight. All 7 spot natives except one. Not sure what it is/was
now.........very confusing :)
--
Pete C
London UK

Tom 02-07-2009 01:25 PM

Harlequin Ladybirds

"Pete C" wrote in message

Bob Hobden wrote:
I've looked for descriptions and at differences between these and our
native Ladybirds and I'm still not sure which ones larvae are all
over our Broad Beans....
http://www.harlequin-survey.org/reco...stinction.htm#

Anyone got a foolproof way of telling them apart?

Good page that. I've been Googling too cos I have lots of ladybirds on the
plot tonight. All 7 spot natives except one. Not sure what it is/was
now.........very confusing :)
--
Pete C
London UK

The information on the TV recently was that they vary enormously in colour,
the harleys that is. The suggestion on there was that, due to the
identification difficulties leave them all alone because of the risk of
identity confusion and extermination of the native species.

Bob Hobden 03-07-2009 08:41 AM

Harlequin Ladybirds

"Pete C" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
I've looked for descriptions and at differences between these and our
native Ladybirds and I'm still not sure which ones larvae are all
over our Broad Beans....
http://www.harlequin-survey.org/reco...stinction.htm#

Anyone got a foolproof way of telling them apart?

Good page that. I've been Googling too cos I have lots of ladybirds on the
plot tonight. All 7 spot natives except one. Not sure what it is/was
now.........very confusing :)

Ned on another Ng posted a link to...

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/ladybirds.html#harlequin

Which shows different stages in development and I think is much more
helpful.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Ragnar 03-07-2009 08:58 AM

Harlequin Ladybirds

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/ladybirds.html#harlequin

Which shows different stages in development and I think is much more
helpful.

On a point of taxonomical correctness, how would one pronounce the botanical
name of the 4-spot Pine ladybird "Exochomus 4-pustulatus" ?

If you were a Latin scholar I guess it would be "Exochomus
quattuor-pustulatus"

R.