GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Clematis cuttings - what happens next? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/185356-clematis-cuttings-what-happens-next.html)

Jane42 02-07-2009 12:53 AM

Clematis cuttings - what happens next?

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is normal.
I took some cuttings from a clematis a few months ago. They developed roots so I've potted them on into small pots and since then they have developed more roots but nothing above the soil. All I have is the original stem and leaf of the cutting. It must be more than a month since I potted them on. Will they not put on growth until next Spring? It is an early flowering type.
Thanks
Jane

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 02-07-2009 12:57 PM

Clematis cuttings - what happens next?

In article ,
says...

--
Jane42

It would have been better not to have moved them but they may grow a
shoot before autumn, but if they don't it is extremely unlikely they will
survive the winter, Clematis cuttings are very easy - getting them past
the first winter is not!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Dave Hill 02-07-2009 05:53 PM

On 2 July, 12:57, Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

Is there any way to tell if you should take a nodal cutting or an
internodal one?
David Hill

Jane42 02-07-2009 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hill (Post 854243)
[...]

Many thanks for your replies.
Would it help if I kept them in a poly tunnel or spare bedroom for the Winter?
Thanks again
Jane

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 03-07-2009 12:46 PM

-
[...]

Poly tunnel

and Dave, most climbers I use internodal cuttings simply because you can!
and it cuts down the amount of material used and shorter cuttings are
less inclined to wobble and therefore quicker to root