GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Greenhouse tomatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/185439-greenhouse-tomatoes.html)

Ian Pollard 04-07-2009 01:03 PM

Greenhouse tomatoes

Hi
I live in the UK and have just planted six tomato plants in my
greenhouse.(Rather belated) All seemed fine until the flower on three
of the plants has turned into a single green sphere. Any ideas please
on what has happened and what I should do about this. I know it is not
a tomato, but what is it?

Ian

alan.holmes 04-07-2009 03:52 PM

Greenhouse tomatoes

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message
Hi
I live in the UK and have just planted six tomato plants in my
greenhouse.(Rather belated) All seemed fine until the flower on three
of the plants has turned into a single green sphere. Any ideas please
on what has happened and what I should do about this. I know it is not
a tomato, but what is it?

How can you be so sure it is not a tomato, what do you expect a tomato to
look like?

It sounds to me just like an unripe tomato!

Ian

Ian Pollard 04-07-2009 06:58 PM

Greenhouse tomatoes

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 15:52:34 +0100, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message
.. .
Hi
I live in the UK and have just planted six tomato plants in my
greenhouse.(Rather belated) All seemed fine until the flower on three
of the plants has turned into a single green sphere. Any ideas please
on what has happened and what I should do about this. I know it is not
a tomato, but what is it?

How can you be so sure it is not a tomato, what do you expect a tomato to
look like?

It sounds to me just like an unripe tomato!

Tomatoes usually come in bunches ,don't they. This is on its own and
has replaced a flower! I'm new to this so don't take anything for
granted.

Ian

Angela[_3_] 04-07-2009 08:02 PM

Greenhouse tomatoes

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message
| On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 15:52:34 +0100, "alan.holmes"
| wrote:
|

| "Ian Pollard" wrote in message
| .. .
| Hi
| I live in the UK and have just planted six tomato plants in my
| greenhouse.(Rather belated) All seemed fine until the flower on three
| of the plants has turned into a single green sphere. Any ideas please
| on what has happened and what I should do about this. I know it is not
| a tomato, but what is it?
|
| How can you be so sure it is not a tomato, what do you expect a tomato to
| look like?
|
| It sounds to me just like an unripe tomato!
|
| Tomatoes usually come in bunches ,don't they. This is on its own and
| has replaced a flower! I'm new to this so don't take anything for
| granted.
|
| Ian

You only get one tomato per flower, you don't get a bunch per flower. What
you are seeing is a baby tomato.

Ian Pollard 04-07-2009 09:27 PM

Greenhouse tomatoes

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 20:02:36 +0100, "Angela" wrote:

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message
.. .
| On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 15:52:34 +0100, "alan.holmes"
| wrote:
|

| "Ian Pollard" wrote in message
| .. .
| Hi
| I live in the UK and have just planted six tomato plants in my
| greenhouse.(Rather belated) All seemed fine until the flower on three
| of the plants has turned into a single green sphere. Any ideas please
| on what has happened and what I should do about this. I know it is not
| a tomato, but what is it?
|
| How can you be so sure it is not a tomato, what do you expect a tomato to
| look like?
|
| It sounds to me just like an unripe tomato!
|
| Tomatoes usually come in bunches ,don't they. This is on its own and
| has replaced a flower! I'm new to this so don't take anything for
| granted.
|
| Ian

You only get one tomato per flower, you don't get a bunch per flower. What
you are seeing is a baby tomato.

OK. That is good enough for me. There seemed to be more than one
flower though.

Ian

Angela[_3_] 04-07-2009 11:03 PM

Greenhouse tomatoes

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message
| On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 20:02:36 +0100, "Angela" wrote:
|

| "Ian Pollard" wrote in message
| .. .
| | On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 15:52:34 +0100, "alan.holmes"
| | wrote:
| |
| |
| | "Ian Pollard" wrote in message
| | .. .
| | Hi
| | I live in the UK and have just planted six tomato plants in my
| | greenhouse.(Rather belated) All seemed fine until the flower on
three
| | of the plants has turned into a single green sphere. Any ideas
please
| | on what has happened and what I should do about this. I know it is
not
| | a tomato, but what is it?
| |
| | How can you be so sure it is not a tomato, what do you expect a tomato
| | look like?
| |
| | It sounds to me just like an unripe tomato!
| |
| | Tomatoes usually come in bunches ,don't they. This is on its own and
| | has replaced a flower! I'm new to this so don't take anything for
| | granted.
| |
| | Ian
|
| You only get one tomato per flower, you don't get a bunch per flower.
What
| you are seeing is a baby tomato.
|
| OK. That is good enough for me. There seemed to be more than one
| flower though.
|
| Ian

There will be numerous flowers and each one grows into a tomato.

Emrys Davies 04-07-2009 11:09 PM

Greenhouse tomatoes

Some of the flowers fail to produce a tomato.

alan.holmes 05-07-2009 12:36 PM

Greenhouse tomatoes

"Angela" wrote in message
om...

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message
| On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 20:02:36 +0100, "Angela" wrote:
|

| "Ian Pollard" wrote in message
| .. .
| | On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 15:52:34 +0100, "alan.holmes"
| | wrote:
| |
| |
| | "Ian Pollard" wrote in message
| | .. .
| | Hi
| | I live in the UK and have just planted six tomato plants in my
| | greenhouse.(Rather belated) All seemed fine until the flower on
three
| | of the plants has turned into a single green sphere. Any ideas
please
| | on what has happened and what I should do about this. I know it is
not
| | a tomato, but what is it?
| |
| | How can you be so sure it is not a tomato, what do you expect a
tomato
| | look like?
| |
| | It sounds to me just like an unripe tomato!
| |
| | Tomatoes usually come in bunches ,don't they. This is on its own and
| | has replaced a flower! I'm new to this so don't take anything for
| | granted.
| |
| | Ian
|
| You only get one tomato per flower, you don't get a bunch per flower.
What
| you are seeing is a baby tomato.
|
| OK. That is good enough for me. There seemed to be more than one
| flower though.
|
| Ian

There will be numerous flowers and each one grows into a tomato.

But, in the greenhouse it would help with the number of tomatoes if you used
a small artists paint brush and brushed each flower every day, this helps
with the polination.

Alan