Old 07-07-2009, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pine cone and the right time to pick it

we have not too far from us a little pine tree which has just produced this
cone. (see photo)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dqm5wp&s=3

we would like to try to grow the seeds. someone told us to plant the cone
in a pot before it opens?

but what would be the right time to do it, and how crucial is the timing?
since it might open quickly and we cannot visit it every day.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , john royce
writes
we have not too far from us a little pine tree which has just produced this
cone. (see photo)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dqm5wp&s=3

we would like to try to grow the seeds. someone told us to plant the cone
in a pot before it opens?

That doesn't sound like good advice

but what would be the right time to do it, and how crucial is the timing?
since it might open quickly and we cannot visit it every day.

but it won't be ripe for a long time yet.

"You cannot grow pine trees by planting pine cones.
Pine seed are contained within the cones and must be
taken out before planting. Collect ripe pine cones in the
fall before they open, because most seed are shed soon
afterward."

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p1408.pdf
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 08-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by john royce View Post
we have not too far from us a little pine tree which has just produced this
cone. (see photo)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dqm5wp&s=3

we would like to try to grow the seeds. someone told us to plant the cone
in a pot before it opens?

but what would be the right time to do it, and how crucial is the timing?
since it might open quickly and we cannot visit it every day.
We brought home a large pine cone from Spain, probable P. pinaster or something, that was still closed. We put it on a windowsill. Then a few days later the wife heard a large bang that sounded like some terrible disaster, but it was the pine cone opening. We could take the seeds out then. But they weren't big enough to eat.

pine cone question Todd[_2_] Gardening 2 31-05-2014 02:16 PM
did i pick right ones to cover my fence? karaman Gardening 3 03-10-2011 07:34 AM
Pine Cone Ginger Dan Gardening 0 25-05-2004 11:03 AM
Pine Cone Ginger Zemedelec Gardening 1 21-05-2004 11:04 AM
Pine Cone Ginger Dan Lawns 0 20-05-2004 02:07 PM