GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Potato update (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/185615-potato-update.html)

June Hughes 10-07-2009 05:49 PM

Potato update

As promised, here is an update on my potato query of last month. I
still couldn't find any at the bottom of the plastic container, so
started at the top, using a trowel. I have just dug out about 5 pounds
of good sized potatoes (around the size of small baking pots) and am
quite pleased although I expected more. Next time, I shall go back to
planting them in the earth. More digging but probably more potatoes.
At least I had _some_. Thanks to all those who advised.
--
June Hughes

Bud 12-07-2009 10:59 PM

Potato update

June Hughes wrote:
As promised, here is an update on my potato query of last month. I
still couldn't find any at the bottom of the plastic container, so
started at the top, using a trowel. I have just dug out about 5 pounds
of good sized potatoes (around the size of small baking pots) and am
quite pleased although I expected more. Next time, I shall go back to
planting them in the earth. More digging but probably more potatoes. At
least I had _some_. Thanks to all those who advised.

Yep, toms like to grow up not down. That is why I like to
plant and hill with soil and then add hay from a bail or two
until the plants start to die off in the fall. Or some times
get the new potatoes as they are just a month old.
--
Bud, who lurks from ID in USA

June Hughes 14-07-2009 07:06 AM

Potato update

In message , Bud
writes
June Hughes wrote:
As promised, here is an update on my potato query of last month. I
still couldn't find any at the bottom of the plastic container, so
started at the top, using a trowel. I have just dug out about 5
pounds of good sized potatoes (around the size of small baking pots)
and am quite pleased although I expected more. Next time, I shall go
planting them in the earth. More digging but probably more potatoes.
At least I had _some_. Thanks to all those who advised.

Yep, toms like to grow up not down. That is why I like to plant and
hill with soil and then add hay from a bail or two until the plants
start to die off in the fall. Or some times get the new potatoes as
they are just a month old.
--
Bud, who lurks from ID in USA

Thanks Bud. Several people here, including me, have reported potato
problems lately.
--
June Hughes