GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Geum rivale, for Stewart (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/185620-geum-rivale-stewart.html)

K 10-07-2009 09:26 PM

Geum rivale, for Stewart

A while ago I argued persuasively that the plant we were id-ing was not
Geum rivale, on various grounds including leaf shape and habitat.

I think now I have to eat my words
I was in a carboniferous limestone ex-quarry today, and at the top of
the quarry face on dry grassland was a carpet of what I am pretty sure
was Geum rivale, from the single dead flower I found and from the
seedheads. And the leaves were just like those in the photo. And totally
unlike the pictures in all the field guides I have at home ;-)

So were we just seeing the different growth habit of plants growing on a
drier site? (the pic seemed to be of a drier site from the oxalis in the
same pic)

--
Kay