Old 12-07-2009, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Yet more rain

I thought the forcast was for a dry hot summer.
Since the heatwave passed it has done almost nothing but rain.
Our ground can't take any more, it is running off everywhere.
Friday 0.6 inches then last night starting after 7pm till around 1am
we had another 1.6 inches.
I had to go out when it finished and make sure it was running away
where ever possible.
I had to dig a couple of ditches in the field to stop it running
through the dahlias and washing them away, great fun by torch light.
Having lost so many dahlias the last 2 wet summers I was hopeing that
this year I could have a good "Normal" summer to try to recover my
stock, but if this carries on then I wonder what I will have left.
I wonder if it is natures way of telling me to get out of growing and
to retire?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 12-07-2009, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
[...]

Or grow something more suitable to the rainfall in your area.
If by "normal" you mean average then it on average our summer is
normally quite wet especially July/August. This is not a new phenomenon.
--
hugh

Old 12-07-2009, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-12 10:31:07 +0100, Dave Hill said:

[...]

Oh, David, this does sound sad and such horribly hard work. Can you
start growing other things as well - ferns of Hostas if this keeps up!
We had water pouring off the field and down the paths at one point and
it rained steadily almost all day yesterday. I quite agree - we really
do NOT want to hear any more nonsense about long range forecasts for
months ahead. Just a week or two ago I read an article by a
meteorologist and she said that in reality, it was impossible to
forecast more than 5 days ahead with any certainty and even that isn't
certain!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-07-2009, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-12 11:15:03 +0100, hugh ] said:

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
[...]

I'm sure a Nurseryman of many years standing will be grateful for that
piece of advice!! ;-)

Old 12-07-2009, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 12, 10:31*am, Dave Hill wrote:

I never know which is worse too much or too little. Once again here on
the East Coast we have had so little rain that the grass is turning
brown and the vegetables are wilting in the ground. In past years I
have watered regularly but I am now inable to do that and I am having
to watch my tomato vines shrivel. I have already adjusted what I grow
to match the local climate but pretty soon there won't be anything
left. So all you guys who complain about an excess of rain I say,"Be
careful what you wish for."!

Old 12-07-2009, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
I thought the forcast was for a dry hot summer.
Since the heatwave passed it has done almost nothing but rain.
Our ground can't take any more, it is running off everywhere.
Friday 0.6 inches then last night starting after 7pm till
around 1am
we had another 1.6 inches.
I had to go out when it finished and make sure it was running
away
where ever possible.
I had to dig a couple of ditches in the field to stop it
running
through the dahlias and washing them away, great fun by torch
light.

Invest in a head torch David, they are perfect for nocturnal
activities which require both hand free.

We enjoyed steady rain last night, enough to almost fill a new
water but I set up by the old shed on Friday. Frankly we needed
it, the back lawn had started to scorch, and I had the sprinkler
going on the far lawn last week. All our paying guests over the
past 6 weeks have commented on how dry and warm its been here in
North Yorkshire. Yesterday was perfect, lots of sun yet a nice
breeze to keep us comfortable, the rain only started about 9pm.
This morning is overcast with a little light drizzle at times, so
I have made a start on staining and varnishing the two new doors
that were fitted in the hallway 6 weeks ago. I kept saying,
"first wet weekend is when I will do it" so now I have no excuse
:-)

Mike

Old 12-07-2009, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

I've often noticed that in this country it never knows when enough is
enough. Too much rain of cold or heat. Never moderate. At least that is
what we think, I suspect that others living elsewhere would laugh at our
concerns!

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Muddymike wrote:

We heard the weather forecast for this weekend, heavy showers for Saturday,
so planned weekend accordingly, what did we get? 2 lovely days, and
Saturday night torrential rain!

Anyone got a clue what its going to do next Saturday? Having a birthday
party, and would love to be sitting outside in the garden for it!