Old 12-07-2009, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bee Braves. Bees Bountiful Behaviour Ballot. Balancing Busy BandwagonBeliefs . Boosting Becoming Blossoming, Budding Better Bee Backers. Bury Bull

OK, it's a long thread title, but since this idea, albeit very late in
the season, is supposed to span the seasons, I thought I'd make it
kinda stand out, rather than simply blending in.

Some time ago I mentioned that when given ample variety to choose
from, the bees I observed went solely for a climbing hydrangea;
The other day, elsewhere, despite an even larger selection to choose
from, the bees opted for a flowering privet hedge. (Ligustrum)

And that's what the idea of this thread is (if you wanna play that
is).
What are bees __predominantly__ choosing most right now?

You see, we get told bees like this and that and I know they really
get a buzz out of lavender, but it's interesting to see them go for
something not as well promoted as being bee fodder
Old 12-07-2009, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aquachimp" wrote in message
OK, it's a long thread title, but since this idea, albeit very late in
the season, is supposed to span the seasons, I thought I'd make it
kinda stand out, rather than simply blending in.

Some time ago I mentioned that when given ample variety to choose
from, the bees I observed went solely for a climbing hydrangea;
The other day, elsewhere, despite an even larger selection to choose
from, the bees opted for a flowering privet hedge. (Ligustrum)

And that's what the idea of this thread is (if you wanna play that
is).
What are bees __predominantly__ choosing most right now?

You see, we get told bees like this and that and I know they really
get a buzz out of lavender, but it's interesting to see them go for
something not as well promoted as being bee fodder

Well they were in May and June going Bananas on the Lonicera Nitada Hedge
and as I have said before, doing a wonderful job on the Lavender at each end
of the Runner Beans and spilling over to the flowers thereon :-))

Also the 2nd flush of Perennial Fuchsia and the Rambler Roses.

Someone said that Bees were in short supply, ........ not in our garden or
vicinity as we met a local Hotel keeper on his way back to his gardens with
a swarm he had just collected!! He has about 4/5 hives in his garden.
Shortage? Not on the Isle of Wight

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

Old 12-07-2009, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aquachimp" wrote ...
OK, it's a long thread title, but since this idea, albeit very late in
the season, is supposed to span the seasons, I thought I'd make it
kinda stand out, rather than simply blending in.

Some time ago I mentioned that when given ample variety to choose
from, the bees I observed went solely for a climbing hydrangea;
The other day, elsewhere, despite an even larger selection to choose
from, the bees opted for a flowering privet hedge. (Ligustrum)

And that's what the idea of this thread is (if you wanna play that
is).
What are bees __predominantly__ choosing most right now?

You see, we get told bees like this and that and I know they really
get a buzz out of lavender, but it's interesting to see them go for
something not as well promoted as being bee fodder

All summer they have been landing on either our Marginal plants or
waterlilly leaves and, it appears, drinking from our pond. Never seen this
before, perhaps one or two occasionally but this is a constant stream of
bees.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aquachimp" wrote in message
OK, it's a long thread title, but since this idea, albeit very late in
the season, is supposed to span the seasons, I thought I'd make it
kinda stand out, rather than simply blending in.

Some time ago I mentioned that when given ample variety to choose
from, the bees I observed went solely for a climbing hydrangea;
The other day, elsewhere, despite an even larger selection to choose
from, the bees opted for a flowering privet hedge. (Ligustrum)

And that's what the idea of this thread is (if you wanna play that
is).
What are bees __predominantly__ choosing most right now?

You see, we get told bees like this and that and I know they really
get a buzz out of lavender, but it's interesting to see them go for
something not as well promoted as being bee fodder

My light lilac Hebe's are full of them at the moment,

Old 12-07-2009, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 12, 4:57*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:

Someone said that Bees were in short supply, ........ not in our garden or
vicinity as we met a local Hotel keeper on his way back to his gardens with
a swarm he had just collected!! He has about 4/5 hives in his garden.
Shortage? Not on the Isle of Wight

.....and it hasn't occurred to you that perhaps they are our bees on
holiday?

Old 13-07-2009, 01:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote
"aquachimp" wrote
[...] You see, we get told bees like this and that and I know they
really get a buzz out of lavender, but it's interesting to see them
go for something not as well promoted as being bee fodder

My light lilac Hebe's are full of them at the moment,

Just a week or two ago the Euonymous (I think it's 'Silver Queen'), that
climbs up against a south facing wall near our patio, was absolutely
heaving with honey bees and small bumble bees all the while it was
flowering. I hadn't previously thought of the shrub as a bee plant.

It was very good to hear the gentle buzzing in the background as, like
many people, we've noticed distinctly fewer honey-bees in the garden in
recent years.

--
Sue

Old 13-07-2009, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Jul 12, 4:57 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:

Someone said that Bees were in short supply, ........ not in our garden or
vicinity as we met a local Hotel keeper on his way back to his gardens
with
a swarm he had just collected!! He has about 4/5 hives in his garden.
Shortage? Not on the Isle of Wight

.....and it hasn't occurred to you that perhaps they are our bees on
holiday?

No it hadn't :-(

But I doubt if they will want to come home, lots of people come here once
and then move here, or at least want to ;-)

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

Old 13-07-2009, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Sheila" wrote
"aquachimp" wrote
[...] You see, we get told bees like this and that and I know they
really get a buzz out of lavender, but it's interesting to see them
go for something not as well promoted as being bee fodder

My light lilac Hebe's are full of them at the moment,

Just a week or two ago the Euonymous (I think it's 'Silver Queen'), that
climbs up against a south facing wall near our patio, was absolutely
heaving with honey bees and small bumble bees all the while it was
flowering. I hadn't previously thought of the shrub as a bee plant.

It was very good to hear the gentle buzzing in the background as, like
many people, we've noticed distinctly fewer honey-bees in the garden in
recent years.

Went and checked this morning, just to see what was happening.

The hoverflies and bumbles were all over the hebe, the honey bees [very
small ones] were on the buddleia.

--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.

Old 20-07-2009, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 13, 11:48*pm, "Kathy" wrote:
"Sue" wrote in message

o.uk...

"Sheila" wrote
"aquachimp" wrote
[...]

Last week, on a different site, the bees were hardly bothered with the
lavender, choosing instead a plant that I don't know, but looks like a
giant chive / ornamental onion.
Earlier in the day they weren't exactly swarming over that one either.
My colleague suggested that perhaps they start off in the morning with
one plants and then move onto others for 'dessert'. I've no idea if
they do that.
I wondered might they be inclined to respond to herd mentality, i.e.
might that the reason the lavender were being largely ignored be that
the chives were the new 'in-place' to bee.

And then I wondered if just like those pests that can be deterred by
hiding sight of the ground/soil, might bees also be affected by
companion planting or some such.

And then it occurred to me to wonder if, just like humans, do bees
have a circadian rhythm and if so might their hives benefit from some
decent sound-proofing so that they can get a decent sleep to help
combat some of the issues they are encountering?