Old 16-07-2009, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Ronnie Briggs

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote
On another forum I subscribe to, a very healthy discussion is going on as
to whether Ronnie Briggs should receive Parole and be released.

Could the same healthy discussion take place here?

What are the readers views?

Being as he was responsible for the death of a man whilst robbing I think
he should have been hanged (or whatever) long ago, which would have saved
the rest of us a lot of taxes keeping him in prison all these years.

There's a flaw in that argument. I think by the time the man died several
years later of injuries he received in the robbery, hanging had been
abolished here in the UK.
My own opinion? Ronnie took part in a robbery for his own personal gain
and someone died because of his greed. He then escaped to South America and
lived the life of Riley there for years. He came back to take advantage of
the NHS when his health began to fail and has never shown any remorse for
what he did.
He still has quite a lot of sentence to serve if I remember rightly so let
him serve it. If it means he dies in prison, so be it.
Myra Hindley was not released when she was dying of cancer, so why should
Ronnie Biggs be?

Tina

Old 16-07-2009, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

There's a flaw in that argument. I think by the time the man died several
years later of injuries he received in the robbery, hanging had been
abolished here in the UK.
My own opinion? Ronnie took part in a robbery for his own personal gain
and someone died because of his greed. He then escaped to South America
and lived the life of Riley there for years. He came back to take
advantage of the NHS when his health began to fail and has never shown any
remorse for what he did.
He still has quite a lot of sentence to serve if I remember rightly so let
him serve it. If it means he dies in prison, so be it.
Myra Hindley was not released when she was dying of cancer, so why should
Ronnie Biggs be?

Tina

Tina, I think you will be interested in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Biggs

I am 100% with you

(BTW, 28 years to serve :-))

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 16-07-2009, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 16, 5:11*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

I am in agreement with you, my sentiments exactly.

Judith
Old 17-07-2009, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

snip

My own opinion? Ronnie took part in a robbery for his own personal gain
and someone died because of his greed. He then escaped to South America
and lived the life of Riley there for years. He came back to take
advantage of the NHS when his health began to fail and has never shown any
remorse for what he did.
He still has quite a lot of sentence to serve if I remember rightly so let
him serve it. If it means he dies in prison, so be it.
Myra Hindley was not released when she was dying of cancer, so why should
Ronnie Biggs be?

Leaving aside the fact that Biggs's offence was by no means equivalent to
Hindley's, the main difference is that the parole board recommended Biggs
release.

Old 17-07-2009, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BAC" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

snip

My own opinion? Ronnie took part in a robbery for his own personal gain
and someone died because of his greed. He then escaped to South America
and lived the life of Riley there for years. He came back to take
advantage of the NHS when his health began to fail and has never shown
any remorse for what he did.
He still has quite a lot of sentence to serve if I remember rightly so
let him serve it. If it means he dies in prison, so be it.
Myra Hindley was not released when she was dying of cancer, so why should
Ronnie Biggs be?

Leaving aside the fact that Biggs's offence was by no means equivalent to
Hindley's, the main difference is that the parole board recommended Biggs
release.

Killing someone is still killing!

Old 17-07-2009, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

snip

My own opinion? Ronnie took part in a robbery for his own personal
gain and someone died because of his greed. He then escaped to South
America and lived the life of Riley there for years. He came back to
take advantage of the NHS when his health began to fail and has never
shown any remorse for what he did.
He still has quite a lot of sentence to serve if I remember rightly so
let him serve it. If it means he dies in prison, so be it.
Myra Hindley was not released when she was dying of cancer, so why
should Ronnie Biggs be?

Leaving aside the fact that Biggs's offence was by no means equivalent to
Hindley's, the main difference is that the parole board recommended Biggs
release.

Killing someone is still killing!

Maybe so, but none of the Great Train Robbers were convicted and sentenced
for murder or manslaughter, but for robbery. Hindley was convicted and
sentenced for her part in the deliberate and premeditated abduction, torture
and murder of several children, which is hardly the same.

The parole board took the view that 'releasing' the very ill Biggs (to die
in a care home rather than a prison) would not have posed any significant
threat to the public. Since our justice system incorporates institutions
like courts and parole boards to take decisions on our behalf, it doesn't
make much sense to have politicians over-rule them, either for political
effect, or to 'punish' a person for a 'crime' with which he was never
charged.