Old 16-07-2009, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Compost Heap. Horse Manure. Pathogens.

wrote in message news:h3kt9j$1f6
Bob Hobden wrote:

Pathogens in Horse dung? Please advise what and any scientific papers that
back it up. I know it is a big carrier of Tetanus but not heard about
anything else of concern.

Try anthrax.

And the Hendra Virus which is extremely virulent.

But I use lots of horse manure and I don't bother composting it at all.

Old 16-07-2009, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On 15 July, 17:40, wrote:

A lot of such rubbish is written by Merkins,

And, indeed, our local authority who two years ago warned people to
scald the produce from their allotments because "95% of home grown
produce is contaminated with salmonella"
Old 16-07-2009, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
FarmI wrote last Oct. "I also spread horse poop as it comes (often
almost still steaming) straight onto garden beds and it results in a
huge worm population explosion."

I might mention that she is still with us, which argues favorably for
the use of fresh manure.

Yeah, I'm still here. Nothing wrong with me other than the red spots all
over, the squint, the gummy jaws, the baldness and the limp.........

Old 16-07-2009, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
FarmI ask@itshall be given wrote:

And the Hendra Virus which is extremely virulent.

Grin :-)

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/spb/m...ages/nipah.htm

"The natural reservoir for Hendra virus is thought to be flying foxes"

"Only three human cases of Hendra virus disease have been recognized."

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-07-2009, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"George.com" wrote in message

My dogs also enjoy a tasty bit of horse dung.

Dogs really can be such nasty little snots at times.

The other day, I went to visit my neighbour. I give her eggs, she gives me
horse poop and we both think we get the best part of the deal.

One of her tenants who rented one of the houses on her farm died and the
tenant's Corgi ended up being adopted by my neighbour.

The Corgi was lying on the Persian rug under an old church pew in the entry
hall and chewing something with real relish. When we investigated it was a
half moon shaped thing which turned out to be a paring from the horse's hoof
from when the farrier had shod the horses that morning.

I usually have a cast iron stomach but for some reason seeing the Corgi
doing this really turned my stomach.

Old 16-07-2009, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Frank" wrote in message
Ed wrote:
I have a couple of large compost bins on my allotment which I regularly
fill with compostable materials from home, but this only accounts for a
few percent.

For the most part, I go to the local riding stables where they bag up the
horse manure and leave it outside for people to take for free.

In the winter time, when the horses are inside the stables, the mix is
heavy with straw and bedding. But now in the warmer months with the
horses outside , it is mainly stuff gathered straight off the paddock
areas where the horses pass their days.

The thing is this. The bins are 4'x3'x3' and I just do not have the
energy or strength to turn them. So , in effect they are cold compost
heaps. I let the contents rot down over a 2 year period.

But is there a danger that the pathogens in the horse dung will not die
off (as they would if I were operating a hot heap) and that my family
could become seriously ill if I use this composted material on my
vegetable plot even if it is 2 years old?

Ed
(South-East UK)

An organic farmer (US) that previously posted here said he was concerned
with contamination with a potent insecticide used to keep flies down. He
would not use it on his food crops.

Frank

I think that may be the bigger problem, it is common in the southern US to
use a feed
through larvacide that is usually some kind of diflubenzuron compound and
some barn
managers sprinkle the manure with Golden Malrin which is a carbamate.

Billy might be able to expand on the hazards of these products.

I have horses and goats and don't use these products in an effort to keep
the
manure clean ; ).

Chickens are the best natural fly control around barns but unfortunately
they
don't leave any manure to fertilize with.

basilisk

Old 16-07-2009, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message news:h3n4d7
FarmI ask@itshall be given wrote:

And the Hendra Virus which is extremely virulent.

Grin :-)

Yep

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/spb/m...ages/nipah.htm

"The natural reservoir for Hendra virus is thought to be flying foxes"

Hmmmm CDC. An American site.

I wonder who it was that wrote:
"A lot of such rubbish is written by Merkins, who manage to make
Little Englanders look intelligent. You need to be able to judge
which authors have Clue and which don't." ;-P

But since you quote the CDC, their article also says "humans became ill
after exposure to body fluids and excretions of horses infected with Hendra
virus"

"Only three human cases of Hendra virus disease have been recognized."

At last count, three people have died of Hendra Virus.

Old 16-07-2009, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
FarmI ask@itshall be given wrote:

Hmmmm CDC. An American site.

I wonder who it was that wrote:
"A lot of such rubbish is written by Merkins, who manage to make
Little Englanders look intelligent. You need to be able to judge
which authors have Clue and which don't." ;-P

I did. The CDC is a respected organisation, which doesn't mean that
its pronouncements are gospel. The Merkins I was referring to are
a different class of Web-making pest, as undesirable as RSM.

At last count, three people have died of Hendra Virus.

Let's all start panicking now :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-07-2009, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

it is a trade off, but organically produced food is safer according to this
report......

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31766160...h-food_safety/

"Avoiding MRSA
Follow these tips to help reduce your risk of exposure to MRSA in meats:
Shop smarter
Look for the USDA organic seal. Organic meat might be less likely to have
antibiotic-resistant or disease-causing organisms, as the animal hasn't been fed
antibiotics, hormones to promote growth, or animal by-products. Other labels, such as
no antibiotics added, are not verified by independent testing.
Log on to eatwellguide.org to search for listings of stores and restaurants that
offer no-antibiotic-use, grass-fed, or organic meats.
Stock up on nonmeat protein sources such as beans, lentils, and tofu and swap them in
for meat now and then. Visit prevention.com/veggies for recipe ideas. "

"You may not have the same close contact with meat that a processing plant worker
has, but scientists warn there is reason for concern: Most of us handle meat daily,
as we bread chicken cutlets, trim fat from pork, or form chopped beef into burgers.
Cooking does kill the microbe, but MRSA thrives on skin, so you can contract it by
touching infected raw meat when you have a cut on your hand, explains Stuart Levy,
MD, a Tufts University professor of microbiology and medicine. MRSA also flourishes
in nasal passages, so touching your nose after touching meat gives the bug another
way into your body, adds Smith.

Tainted meat exposed
Extensive research in Europe and Asia has found MRSA in many food animal species, and
in the past year, US researchers have begun testing meat sold here. Scientists at
Louisiana State University Agricultural Center tested 120 cuts of locally purchased
meat and found MRSA in 4 percent of the pork and 1 percent of the beef. A University
of Maryland scientist found it in 1 out of 300 pork samples from the Washington, DC,
area. And a study in Canada (from which we import thousands of tons of meat annually)
found MRSA in 9 percent of 212 pork samples. The percentages may be small, but
according to the USDA, Americans eat more than 180 million pounds of meat every day.
"When you consider the tiny size of the meat studies, the fact that they found any
contamination at all is amazing," says Steven Roach, public health program director
for Food Animal Concerns Trust.

In some cases, the tainted meat probably came from infected animals; in others,
already infected humans could have passed on MRSA to the meat during processing.
Regardless of where it originated, even a small proportion of contaminated meat could
mean a tremendous amount of MRSA out there. "We need more US research to figure out
what's going on," says Roach."

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago
Old 16-07-2009, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
wrote:

In article ,
FarmI ask@itshall be given wrote:

And the Hendra Virus which is extremely virulent.

Grin :-)

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/spb/m...ages/nipah.htm

"The natural reservoir for Hendra virus is thought to be flying foxes"

"Only three human cases of Hendra virus disease have been recognized."

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hendra virus (formerly called equine morbillivirus) is a member of the
family Paramyxoviridae.
Nipah virus, also a member of the family Paramyxoviridae, is related but
not identical to Hendra virus.

Funny, when I read this page, it says,"Two of the three human patients
infected with Hendra virus died (Australia). During the Nipah virus
disease outbreak in 1998-99 (Malaysia and Singapore), 257 patients were
infected with the virus. About 40% of those patients who entered
hospitals with serious nervous disease died from the illness."
--

- Billy

"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the moment of
conception until death." - Rachel Carson

Old 16-07-2009, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Do many people in the UK show signs of "Mad Cow Disease"?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--

Don't know about the UK, but have you looked at the subscribers of THIS
newsgroup?

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 16-07-2009, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,

"Billy" wrote in message
FarmI wrote last Oct. "I also spread horse poop as it comes (often
almost still steaming) straight onto garden beds and it results in a
huge worm population explosion."

I might mention that she is still with us, which argues favorably for
the use of fresh manure.

Yeah, I'm still here. Nothing wrong with me other than the red spots all
over, the squint, the gummy jaws, the baldness and the limp.........

These ideosyncracies only add character to our siren of the soil.

Old 16-07-2009, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

[...]

Let's look at a worst case scenerio.

Vegetable Gardens and Drainage Fields
Sometimes the ideal place to put a vegetable garden seems to be over the
leach field, raising the question of bacterial and viral contamination
from the effluent. Soils vary a great deal in their ability to filter
viruses and bacteria. Clay soils work best, eliminating bacteria within
a few inches of the drain trenches, but sandy soils may allow bacterial
movement for several feet. A properly operating system will not
contaminate the soil with disease-causing organisms, but it is very
difficult to determine if a field is operating just as it should. If at
all possible, use your septic drain field for ornamentals and plant your
vegetables elsewhere.

If you must plant vegetables, take the following precautions. Do not
plant root crops over drain lines. Leafy vegetables could be
contaminated by rain splashing soil onto the plant, so either mulch them
to eliminate splashing or don't grow them. Fruiting crops are probably
safe; train any vining ones such as cucumbers or tomatoes onto a support
so that the fruit is off the ground. Thoroughly wash any produce from
the garden before eating it. Do not construct raised beds over the
field; they might inhibit evaporation of moisture.

Old 16-07-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

[...]

Worst case scenerio, take 2.

Forgot my cite ))

http://www.mastergardenproducts.com/...drain_field_ga
rdening.htm

[...]

-----

The moral is, don't use fresh manure on the edible portion of something
you may eat in the next three months.