Old 17-07-2009, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Animal Poo? Identification

TheScullster writes
Thanks to all for comments.
I'm inclined to think the consensus hedgehog is likely. Will they
tolerate a cat-ridden neighbourhood though?

Yes. Cats tend to treat them with caution.

If so, where am I most likely to catch sight of him/her? - Under the
shed? Back of the borders? Our garden isn't huge (about 17m x 10m) but
is a bit "natural" in parts!

They're active at night, but they don't have a settled routine. So it's
a matter of luck when and where you see them. If you want to try feeding
him, a special tin of hedgehog food from the pet shop, or cat meat (meat
not fish based). Make a sort of box or tunnel with the entrance too
small for a cat and put the meat inside that. For added fun, cover a
piece of card with aluminium foil and gold it in the smoke of a candle
flame until it's completely covered with soot. Put this under the meat,
and n the morning you will see the tracks of anything that's visited in
the night.

--
Kay
Old 17-07-2009, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote
Thanks to all for comments.
I'm inclined to think the consensus hedgehog is likely.
Will they tolerate a cat-ridden neighbourhood though?
If so, where am I most likely to catch sight of him/her? - Under the
shed? Back of the borders?
Our garden isn't huge (about 17m x 10m) but is a bit "natural" in
parts!

They can roam around quite a large area and may be visiting several
gardens in the vicinity at night. If your garden has a wilder area I'm
sure any self-respecting local hedgehog would gladly add it to its
nightly itinerary.

You'd probably be most likely to catch sight of one (or maybe
hear it first) if you go out after dark when they go grunting and
snuffling around in search of a meal. As for cats, I should think they'd
soon learn to keep well away from the spines of a hedgehog, but possibly
the young hoglets might be more at risk.

--
Sue

Old 17-07-2009, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

hedgehog, we don't have as many this year :-(

kate

"EastneyEnder" wrote in message
someone wrote:
If they were all clustered in one place under a turret or gargoyle I would
have said owl.

Or a barn?
The last bird of prey pellet I found was out in the open. Some regurge
when roosting: others don't.

Hey, if they all relied on turrets or gargoyles they'd be extinct by
now

Old 17-07-2009, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 July, 01:41, EastneyEnder wrote:

Hey, if they all relied on turrets or gargoyles they'd be extinct by
now

I think gargoyles are. I've only ever seen a fossilised one.

Old 17-07-2009, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bobharvey wrote:
Hey, if they all relied on turrets or gargoyles they'd be extinct by
now

I think gargoyles are. I've only ever seen a fossilised one.

LOLOL! excellent.
I think the only place that gargoyles still exist in the wild is Ankh
Morpork.