Old 16-07-2009, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Animal Poo? Identification

Hi all

Anyone suggest the likely culprit for:

Animal poo approx 10mm diameter - 3 pcs - 1 @ 25mm long and 2 @ 10mm long -
in cluster on lawn.
Similar to cat but - no smell, dry and like charcoal in appearance.
Close examination showed what looked like lots of "beetle-shell-bits"
embedded, which created the charcoal appearance.

TIA

Phil

Old 16-07-2009, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

Anyone suggest the likely culprit for:

Animal poo approx 10mm diameter - 3 pcs - 1 @ 25mm long and 2 @ 10mm
long - in cluster on lawn.
Similar to cat but - no smell, dry and like charcoal in appearance.
Close examination showed what looked like lots of "beetle-shell-bits"
embedded, which created the charcoal appearance.

I might have said fox until you mentioned there was no smell. It seems too
big for a hedgehog, could it possibly be pellets from a bird of prey?
Just a thought.

Tina

Old 16-07-2009, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

Anyone suggest the likely culprit for:

Animal poo approx 10mm diameter - 3 pcs - 1 @ 25mm long and 2 @ 10mm
long - in cluster on lawn.
Similar to cat but - no smell, dry and like charcoal in appearance.
Close examination showed what looked like lots of "beetle-shell-bits"
embedded, which created the charcoal appearance.

I might have said fox until you mentioned there was no smell. It seems
too big for a hedgehog, could it possibly be pellets from a bird of prey?
Just a thought.

Tina

Thanks Tina

Don't know much about birds of prey but it's possible. We live at the top
of a hill v. close to the edge of a housing estate. There are a lot of
sparrow hawk-type-things which hang around on the lamp posts of major roads
nearby. There are one or two owls around although I have'nt actually seen
either in our copper beech (near which the poo? was found).
Are bird pellets usually round or can they be sausage shaped?
Hedgehogs were suggested by a neighbour - again I haven't seen them and also
haven't suffered from vegetable damage (if they eat them).
The least likely I think would be a fox; although they are occasionally
spotted, our garden has a perimeter fence and I don't think there are any
breaches big enough.

Phil

Old 16-07-2009, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Depending on diameter (not mentioned) I'd say hedgehog or fox. Both
eat beetles.

Walking at a local nature reserve last autumn there were numerous
black poos beside the path at regular intervals. The reason they were
black, and incidentally, full of little seeds, is that foxes are very
partial to blackberries! And certainly there were none on the bushes
any lower than fox-height.

Birds of prey poo like normal birds - think seagull/pigeon - but do
regurgitate pellets of indigestible matter, usually fur & bones. These
aren't like poo, but very dry, pale grey and mainly made up of fur. If
you poke them with a stick you'll find they are just dried-up fur with
a few bones and insect carapaces.
Old 16-07-2009, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"EastneyEnder" wrote in message

Depending on diameter (not mentioned)

""Animal poo approx 10mm diameter "" do keep up ;-)

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 16-07-2009, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

Anyone suggest the likely culprit for:

Animal poo approx 10mm diameter - 3 pcs - 1 @ 25mm long and 2 @ 10mm
long - in cluster on lawn.
Similar to cat but - no smell, dry and like charcoal in appearance.
Close examination showed what looked like lots of
"beetle-shell-bits" embedded, which created the charcoal appearance.

TIA

Phil

Toad? Sounds typical of the ones I've found over the years. They're
great in the greenhouse, I used to find cases of vine weevils in them.

--
Rod

My real address is

Old 16-07-2009, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Christina Websell writes

"TheScullster" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi all

Anyone suggest the likely culprit for:

Animal poo approx 10mm diameter - 3 pcs - 1 @ 25mm long and 2 @ 10mm
long - in cluster on lawn.
Similar to cat but - no smell, dry and like charcoal in appearance.
Close examination showed what looked like lots of "beetle-shell-bits"
embedded, which created the charcoal appearance.

I might have said fox until you mentioned there was no smell. It seems too
big for a hedgehog, could it possibly be pellets from a bird of prey?
Just a thought.

The Collins Guide to Animal Tracks and Signs has a splendid double page
illustration of animal poo, all natural size. The hedgehog is about 50mm
long and 10mm diameter, so a pretty good match.
--
Kay
Old 16-07-2009, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

They are sausage shaped.

Hedgehogs were suggested by a neighbour - again I haven't seen them and
also haven't suffered from vegetable damage (if they eat them).

No, hedgehogs don't eat vegetables. They are mainly carnivores, they like
slugs n snails and such sort of stuff.

The least likely I think would be a fox; although they are occasionally
spotted, our garden has a perimeter fence and I don't think there are any
breaches big enough.

Fox poo smells quite pungent and usually has a pointed "tail" on it.
It could a very big hedgehog with a large, erm, b*mh*le, as they often have
beetle wings in their dung. So do birds of prey in their pellets though.
You'll have to decide for yourself what is most likely. If you have a tree
branch overhanging where it was found it's probably pellets.
Your eco-system is very healthy if you have birds of prey.

Tina

Old 16-07-2009, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 16, 1:49*pm, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

Anyone suggest the likely culprit for:

Animal poo approx 10mm diameter - 3 pcs - 1 @ 25mm long and 2 @ 10mm long -
in cluster on lawn.
Similar to cat but - no smell, dry and like charcoal in appearance.
Close examination showed what looked like lots of "beetle-shell-bits"
embedded, which created the charcoal appearance.

TIA

Phil

In Norfolk we had this a lot, I asked some experts at J.I. just down
the road, they said hedgehog.

Judith
Old 16-07-2009, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
Fox poo smells quite pungent and usually has a pointed "tail" on it.

Cannot resist... a bit of [toilet] humour:
'Why are turds pointed at one end? - So your bum doesn't slam shut.'

Sorry.

Old 16-07-2009, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

EastneyEnder wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
Fox poo smells quite pungent and usually has a pointed "tail" on it.

Cannot resist... a bit of [toilet] humour:
'Why are turds pointed at one end? - So your bum doesn't slam shut.'

Sue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lolol

Old 17-07-2009, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 July, 18:33, Judith in France
wrote:
On Jul 16, 1:49*pm, "TheScullster" wrote:

Anyone suggest the likely culprit for:

In Norfolk we had this a lot, I asked some experts at J.I. just down
the road, they said hedgehog.

Yep, that was going to be my suggestion. It sounds /exactly/ like
hedgehog.
Old 17-07-2009, 02:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

Anyone suggest the likely culprit for:

Animal poo approx 10mm diameter - 3 pcs - 1 @ 25mm long and 2 @ 10mm
long - in cluster on lawn.
Similar to cat but - no smell, dry and like charcoal in appearance.
Close examination showed what looked like lots of "beetle-shell-bits"
embedded, which created the charcoal appearance.

Definitely hedgehog. I had them on my lawn recently and traced the bits
around the garden only to find a large hedgehog had fallen into a sort of
gully at the back of my garden and had to be helped out. (the gully is 2
feet wide x 20 feet long x 3 feet deep). If they were all clustered in one
place under a turret or gargoyle I would have said owl.

someone

Old 17-07-2009, 02:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

someone wrote:
If they were all clustered in one place under a turret or gargoyle I would have said owl.

Or a barn?
The last bird of prey pellet I found was out in the open. Some regurge
when roosting: others don't.

Hey, if they all relied on turrets or gargoyles they'd be extinct by
now
Old 17-07-2009, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote

Hi all

Anyone suggest the likely culprit for:

Animal poo approx 10mm diameter - 3 pcs - 1 @ 25mm long and 2 @ 10mm
long - in cluster on lawn.
Similar to cat but - no smell, dry and like charcoal in appearance.
Close examination showed what looked like lots of "beetle-shell-bits"
embedded, which created the charcoal appearance.

TIA

Phil

Thanks to all for comments.
I'm inclined to think the consensus hedgehog is likely.
Will they tolerate a cat-ridden neighbourhood though?
If so, where am I most likely to catch sight of him/her? - Under the shed?
Back of the borders?
Our garden isn't huge (about 17m x 10m) but is a bit "natural" in parts!

Phil