GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Damned caterpillars! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/185794-damned-caterpillars.html)

alan.holmes 17-07-2009 09:49 PM

Damned caterpillars!

Had a look at the sprouts yesterday, and they had caterpillars on them!

How the hell can I stop that?

Alan

'Mike'[_4_] 17-07-2009 10:00 PM

Damned caterpillars!

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

Had a look at the sprouts yesterday, and they had caterpillars on them!

How the hell can I stop that?

Alan

Get some Stergene, used for washing woollens, mix with water and put into a
hand sprayer, spray sprouts. Make sure you spray into all nooks and
crevices. You may have to repeat the process a couple of times.

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Little Paul 17-07-2009 10:39 PM

Damned caterpillars!

On 2009-07-17, alan.holmes wrote:

Had a look at the sprouts yesterday, and they had caterpillars on them!

How the hell can I stop that?

Two options:
1 - Cover your sprouts with mesh netting as soon as they're outside
so that the pretty butterflies can't get to them to lay eggs on (it's
a bit late for that now though)

2 - Daily inspections of all leaves on the plant. Look on the underside
for clusters of small white/yellow/brown spheres - these are eggs - squash
them! If you squash them, they can't hatch into catterpillars. Any
caterpillars you see, squash them as well!

If you're squeamish about squashing the munching machines - put your
gloves on - oh, and squashing eggs feels less evil than squashing
a full size caterpillar.

I suppose there probably are chemicals and sprays and whatnot - but I
can never be bothered with that.

Oh, and don't worry about the holes in the leaves, brassicas can take
a surprising amount of nibbling before they give up.

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

Pete C[_2_] 17-07-2009 10:50 PM

Damned caterpillars!

'Mike' wrote:
"alan.holmes" wrote in message

Had a look at the sprouts yesterday, and they had caterpillars on
them! How the hell can I stop that?

Alan

Get some Stergene, used for washing woollens, mix with water and put
into a hand sprayer, spray sprouts. Make sure you spray into all
nooks and crevices. You may have to repeat the process a couple of
times.

Better than washing up liquid? :)
--
Pete C
London UK

alan.holmes 18-07-2009 05:34 PM

Damned caterpillars!

.uk...
On 2009-07-17, alan.holmes wrote:

Had a look at the sprouts yesterday, and they had caterpillars on them!

How the hell can I stop that?

Two options:
1 - Cover your sprouts with mesh netting as soon as they're outside
so that the pretty butterflies can't get to them to lay eggs on (it's
a bit late for that now though)

The funny thing is, I had covered them with mesh as soon as I had planted
them which is a bit of a puzzle!

Martin[_3_] 21-07-2009 09:34 PM

Damned caterpillars!

On 2009-07-17, alan.holmes wrote:

Had a look at the sprouts yesterday, and they had caterpillars on them!

How the hell can I stop that?

Two options:
1 - Cover your sprouts with mesh netting as soon as they're outside
so that the pretty butterflies can't get to them to lay eggs on (it's
a bit late for that now though)

The funny thing is, I had covered them with mesh as soon as I had planted
them which is a bit of a puzzle!

I had a butterfly like that. I reckon it was firing single eggs through the
holes in the netting