Old 19-07-2009, 01:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Propagating St. John's Wort

We have a bed surrounding a red currant bush which contains a small
patch of St. John's Wort - we eventually want the wort to cover this
bed like ground cover. Wondering whether to divide the wort patch or
to propagate cuttings? Any ideas appreciated...

Larry
Old 19-07-2009, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Anne Welsh Jackson
writes
lagagnon wrote:

We have a bed surrounding a red currant bush which contains a small
patch of St. John's Wort - we eventually want the wort to cover this
bed like ground cover. Wondering whether to divide the wort patch or
to propagate cuttings? Any ideas appreciated...

The trick in my garden is to stop the stuff self-propagating.
It has spread everywhere!

How long have you had the Hypericum? Has it had a chance
to cast its seeds around? I'm assuming that it's H. perforatum...

We would really need to know what species he has. H. perforatum doesn't
strike me as a ground cover plant. H. calycinum might be so described,
but is rather coarse for this situation. For all I known, he might be
referring to something like H. olympicum or H. empetrifolium.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley