GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tomato caterpillars (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/185832-tomato-caterpillars.html)

dido22 19-07-2009 12:29 PM

tomato caterpillars

Hello

I have just found 2 large green caterpillars chomping the leaves on my
greenhouse tomato plants. I've never known this before (in many years of
growing toms). The only butterfies I have seen around are cabbage whites. Is
this evolution or gloabal warming ?

'Mike'[_4_] 19-07-2009 12:32 PM

tomato caterpillars

"dido22" wrote in message
Hello

I have just found 2 large green caterpillars chomping the leaves on my
greenhouse tomato plants. I've never known this before (in many years of
growing toms). The only butterfies I have seen around are cabbage whites.
Is this evolution or gloabal warming ?

Not Global Warming, 'Climate Change' so that it can embrace hot, cold, wet,
dry etc ;-)

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Bob Hobden 19-07-2009 01:26 PM

tomato caterpillars

K wrote
I have just found 2 large green caterpillars chomping the leaves on my
greenhouse tomato plants. I've never known this before (in many years of
growing toms). The only butterfies I have seen around are cabbage whites.
Is this evolution or gloabal warming ?

It's sounds like the Tomato Moth (Lacanobia oleracea). The caterpillars are
up to 3.5cm long, brown or green, with a yellow line along the side of the
body on which are tiny white dots.
Look on the leaves, especially those near the glass, for eggs and small
caterpillars as they congregate when small but branch out on their own as
they grow.
(From RHS Pests and Diseases.)
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

dido22 19-07-2009 03:51 PM

tomato caterpillars

Hello & thanks,

I didnt notice a yellow line (but was not looking for one). They were praps
1 inch long (2.5 cm) and green. I now see several leaves with holes, so
probably many more in there !

Live & let live !

Thanks again

K wrote