Old 21-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Registered User

Default Best way to bury an extension cable to the shed?

I have a cable trailing across about 25ft of grass just now. It's just a standard 2 core orange extension cable. Can this be buried itself or do I need to fit some form of conduit?

Cheers
Old 21-07-2009, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"glasgowdan" wrote in message

I have a cable trailing across about 25ft of grass just now. It's just a
standard 2 core orange extension cable. Can this be buried itself or do
I need to fit some form of conduit?

Cheers

You mention an 'extension cable to the shed'. I assume this is a 240V
supply. Is this to be for power or lighting?

Your cable will need to be twin and earth i.e. three core not two. Orange
cable is strictly for indoor use only. The supply will need to run in a
buried conduit unless you are using armoured cable. The conduit will need
to be sealed at each end against water (and vermin). It will need to be run
from a fused switched spur unit inside the house and in one length with no
joints. None of this should be carried out by someone who is not a
qualified electrician - this is the law, not my opinion.

There may be other rules that I have missed out but since you will NOT be
doing this work yourself that doesn't matter.

R.
(not a killjoy - just don't want you to have a nasty accident)

Old 22-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Registered User

I'm confused now. Don't most people use orange cables to plug in their lawnmowers, strimmers etc? I already have an external socket on the wall. It's to run a fridge freezer in the shed. If I can plug this extension into the external socket, fit a conduit and bury the cable myself that would be the ideal solution as it's simplest... what do you think?
Old 22-07-2009, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk
"glasgowdan" wrote in message

I'm confused now. Don't most people use orange cables to plug in their
lawnmowers, strimmers etc? I already have an external socket on the
wall. It's to run a fridge freezer in the shed. If I can plug this
extension into the external socket, fit a conduit and bury the cable
myself that would be the ideal solution as it's simplest... what do you
think?

Your total lack of Electrical knowledge tells me that you should get a
qualified Electrician in. One does NOT run a Freezer off a two core
extension lead which I believe is rated at about 5 amps. On top of that, as
someone has pointed out, you need an Earth wire.

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

Old 22-07-2009, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

glasgowdan writes

I'm confused now. Don't most people use orange cables to plug in their
lawnmowers, strimmers etc?
I already have an external socket on the
wall. It's to run a fridge freezer in the shed. If I can plug this
extension into the external socket, fit a conduit and bury the cable
myself that would be the ideal solution as it's simplest... what do you
think?

When you use an extension cable for your lawnmower, you are acutely
aware of where it is, and you look after it very carefully, and check it
for damage after every use.

If you bury the cable, not everyone in your family will know exactly
where it is. Someone could cut through it with a spade, it could get
damaged with movement of the soil, rodents could gnaw through it .... It
would only need a small amount of damage to the cable itself for water
to be able to get in. If you sell the house, the new owners may have
work done to the house; workmen may not know where the cable is and
could damage it or injure themselves.

It needs to be installed according to the IEE Wiring Regulations, the
current edition of which is the 17th.

With electricity (as with gas) the simplest solution is ideal only if
it also provides an adequate level of safety.
--
Kay

Old 22-07-2009, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

glasgowdan wrote:
I'm confused now. Don't most people use orange cables to plug in their
lawnmowers, strimmers etc? I already have an external socket on the
wall. It's to run a fridge freezer in the shed. If I can plug this
extension into the external socket, fit a conduit and bury the cable
myself that would be the ideal solution as it's simplest... what do
you think?

Actually, the colour of the cable is irelevant. You need 3 core cable. As
Ragnar said, 2.5 T & E. Encased in conduit, pref biried a foot undrground.
It should be installed by a qualified electrician, or by yourself, then
certified by an electrician. Cost of certificate, £50 - 80. Unfortunately,
that is the law.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 22-07-2009, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 17:18:26 +0100, glasgowdan
wrote:

I'm confused now. Don't most people use orange cables to plug in
their lawnmowers, strimmers etc? I already have an external socket
on the wall. It's to run a fridge freezer in the shed. If I can plug
this extension into the external socket, fit a conduit and bury the
cable myself that would be the ideal solution as it's simplest...
what do you think?

You are breaking the law and may kill somebody. An orange cable
doesn't have an earth wire.

Martin, I know your thinking, But I have an extension lead, rated 13 amp, 3
core and it's orange.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 23-07-2009, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
wrote:

I'm confused now. Don't most people use orange cables to plug in their
lawnmowers, strimmers etc? I already have an external socket on the
wall. It's to run a fridge freezer in the shed. If I can plug this
extension into the external socket, fit a conduit and bury the cable
myself that would be the ideal solution as it's simplest... what do you
think?

You are breaking the law and may kill somebody. An orange cable doesn't have an
earth wire.

Some do, some don't. My orange cable to my caravan definitely has an
earth wire.

--
hugh

Old 23-07-2009, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , glasgowdan
writes

I'm confused now. Don't most people use orange cables to plug in their
lawnmowers, strimmers etc? I already have an external socket on the
wall. It's to run a fridge freezer in the shed. If I can plug this
extension into the external socket, fit a conduit and bury the cable
myself that would be the ideal solution as it's simplest... what do you
think?

A two core cable should only be used to an appliance which is double
insulated. Check the lead on the fridge freezer and if it is 3 core your
existing installation is dangerous enough without burying the cable and
making it worse.
--
hugh

Old 23-07-2009, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ragnar
writes

[...]

No the killjoys are the ones who introduced these daft rules in the
first place.
--
hugh

Old 23-07-2009, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

hugh ] writes
No the killjoys are the ones who introduced these daft rules in the
first place.

Why are they daft? Which bits are not necessary?
--
Kay
Old 23-07-2009, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
hugh ] writes
No the killjoys are the ones who introduced these daft rules in the
first place.

Why are they daft? Which bits are not necessary?

The bits which deem that no DIY person knows how to install a new
circuit and so create a closed shop for electricians, who to be fair to
them, are then faced with substantial costs in keeping their
certification up to date, which have to be passed on to their customers,
meanwhile keeping loads of jobsworths in their positions.
--
hugh (B.Sc Elec Eng)

Old 23-07-2009, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

hugh ] writes
In message , K
writes
hugh ] writes
No the killjoys are the ones who introduced these daft rules in the
first place.

Why are they daft? Which bits are not necessary?

The bits which deem that no DIY person knows how to install a new
circuit

But you can do it yourself and get it certified. Does not that make
sense in a world where people move house frequently? Some DIY people can
install safely, others just *think* they can.

Are you happy with the Regs themselves? Is it just the certification
side which you are unhappy about?

Interested in your comments as I've had similar from my father (60 years
as Chartered Elec Eng)

--
Kay
Old 23-07-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

Interested in your comments as I've had similar from my father (60 years
as Chartered Elec Eng)

--
Kay

Kay, sorry, but don't say too much about Chartered Electrical Engineers.
When I was appointed Electrical Design Engineer at FBM Marine, they had a
problem on their hands on some ships out in Saudi which CEEs had looked at
and were stumped. I am NOT CEE, but solved the problem within 24 hours. An
Electrical Engineer went out to Saudi with the equipment I designed. Problem
solved.

If you have sailed from Southampton or been a foot passenger to the Isle of
Wight, you would have seen some of my work, I was the Electrical Design
Engineer of Red Jet 1 and Red Jet 2

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 23-07-2009, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete C
writes

wrote:

I'm confused now. Don't most people use orange cables to plug in
their lawnmowers, strimmers etc? I already have an external socket
on the wall. It's to run a fridge freezer in the shed. If I can plug
this extension into the external socket, fit a conduit and bury the
cable myself that would be the ideal solution as it's simplest...
what do you think?

You are breaking the law and may kill somebody. An orange cable
doesn't have an earth wire.

Martin, I know your thinking, But I have an extension lead, rated 13 amp, 3
core and it's orange.

My lawnmower and shredder cables are orange and are three-core.

Having said that, they are run from a 13A socket in my detached garage,
which has an electrician-installed supply using buried armoured cable,
protected by a covering of earth and concrete. The socket in the
garage is built-in to a hard-wired RCD.

I gave up installing my own sockets when the law was tightened some
years ago. ;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply