Old 24-07-2009, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Horticultural fleece

Horticultural fleece: which way up?
--
Which of the seven heavens / Was responsible her smile /
Wouldn't be sure but attested / That, whoever it was, a god /
Old 24-07-2009, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frederick Williams" wrote...
Horticultural fleece: which way up?

You will find you have to lay it flat, it won't stand up on end it's too
floppy. :-)

Seriously though I don't think there is a right side up, unless you have
something special.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-07-2009, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Frederick Williams wrote:
Horticultural fleece: which way up?

Never noticed a diffence is sides Fred.......can you describe what you have?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 24-07-2009, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 24, 9:28*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Frederick Williams wrote:
Horticultural fleece: which way up?

Never noticed a diffence is sides Fred.......can you describe what you have?
--
Pete C
London UK

Shiny on one side, mat on the other?

Judith
Old 25-07-2009, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:

Frederick Williams wrote:
Horticultural fleece: which way up?

Never noticed a diffence is sides Fred.......can you describe what you have?

Black and shiny on one side, pale grey and fibrous on the other.

Old 25-07-2009, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 25, 1:56*pm, Frederick Williams
wrote:
Pete C wrote:

Frederick Williams wrote:
Horticultural fleece: which way up?

Never noticed a diffence is sides Fred.......can you describe what you have?

Black and shiny on one side, pale grey and fibrous on the other.

--
Which of the seven heavens / Was responsible her smile /
Wouldn't be sure but attested / That, whoever it was, a god /
Worth kneeling-to for a while / Had tabernacled and rested.

um, thats sounds more like a root barrier, ie something dug into the
ground to prevent something like say, bamboo, from spreading.
I mean, "black"... how does the light get in?
Old 25-07-2009, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Pete C wrote:

Frederick Williams wrote:
Horticultural fleece: which way up?
Never noticed a diffence is sides Fred.......can you describe what you have?

Black and shiny on one side, pale grey and fibrous on the other.

um, thats sounds more like a root barrier, ie something dug into the
ground to prevent something like say, bamboo, from spreading.
I mean, "black"... how does the light get in?

I _think_ this stuff is to stop weeds but it lets the water in for
nearby plants. If I'm right, light isn't needed.

Old 25-07-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 25, 5:09*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 15:59:16 +0100, Frederick Williams

wrote:
Pete C wrote:

Frederick Williams wrote:
Horticultural fleece: which way up?
Never noticed a diffence is sides Fred.......can you describe what you have?

Black and shiny on one side, pale grey and fibrous on the other.

um, thats sounds more like a root barrier, ie something dug into the
ground to prevent something like say, bamboo, from spreading.
I mean, "black"... how does the light get in?

I _think_ this stuff is to stop weeds but it lets the water in for
nearby plants. *If I'm right, light isn't needed.

Fleece isn't normally black, it looks like ... fleece.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

It seems he is talking about a weed barrier, not fleece. As for which
way up for that... I don't think it makes much of a difference, after
all, it's often covered with bark chipping, gravel or some such, yet
somehow, I always opted for shiny side up.
Old 25-07-2009, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-25 12:56:58 +0100, Frederick Williams
said:

Pete C wrote:

Frederick Williams wrote:
Horticultural fleece: which way up?

Never noticed a diffence is sides Fred.......can you describe what you have?

Black and shiny on one side, pale grey and fibrous on the other.

I think what you have is something called Mypex or one of its close
relations. It's used as a weed barrier. We have it black side up.
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
Horticultural fleece is off-white, very light and soft and is used to
wrap plants up against winter frosts.
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-07-2009, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Frederick Williams writes

wrote:
Pete C wrote:

Frederick Williams wrote:
Horticultural fleece: which way up?
Never noticed a diffence is sides Fred.......can you describe
you have?

Black and shiny on one side, pale grey and fibrous on the other.

um, thats sounds more like a root barrier, ie something dug into the
ground to prevent something like say, bamboo, from spreading.
I mean, "black"... how does the light get in?

I _think_ this stuff is to stop weeds but it lets the water in for
nearby plants. If I'm right, light isn't needed.

Horticultural fleece is a translucent sheet that you put over plants so
that they grow in protected environment underneath - a sort of
unsupported cold frame.
--
Kay

Old 25-07-2009, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:
Horticultural fleece: which way up?
Never noticed a diffence is sides Fred.......can you describe you
have?

Black and shiny on one side, pale grey and fibrous on the other.

I have some me that is exactly as Frederick describes, I will go and see if
there is any information with the product

kate

Old 26-07-2009, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

Frederick Williams writes

wrote:
Pete C wrote:

Frederick Williams wrote:
Horticultural fleece: which way up?
Never noticed a diffence is sides Fred.......can you describe
you have?

Black and shiny on one side, pale grey and fibrous on the other.

um, thats sounds more like a root barrier, ie something dug into the
ground to prevent something like say, bamboo, from spreading.
I mean, "black"... how does the light get in?

I _think_ this stuff is to stop weeds but it lets the water in for
nearby plants. If I'm right, light isn't needed.

Horticultural fleece is a translucent sheet that you put over plants so
that they grow in protected environment underneath - a sort of
unsupported cold frame.

Ok, so it seems that what I have isn't horticultural fleece. It's as
described in . My apologies if I've been
causing confusion.

Old 26-07-2009, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

aquachimp wrote:

It seems he is talking about a weed barrier, not fleece. As for which
way up for that... I don't think it makes much of a difference, after
all, it's often covered with bark chipping, gravel or some such, yet
somehow, I always opted for shiny side up.

And the rain goes through it, does it?

Old 06-08-2009, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 26, 9:50*am, Frederick Williams
wrote:
aquachimp wrote:
It seems he is talking about a weed barrier, not fleece. As for which
way up for that... I don't think it makes much of a difference, after
all, it's often covered with bark chipping, gravel or some such, *yet
somehow, I always opted for shiny side up.

And the rain goes through it, does it?

Yes, though with a delay in heavy rain